Biggest sports annoyances | Page 8 | The Boneyard

Biggest sports annoyances

the Q

Yowie Wowie. We’re gonna have so much fun here
Reaction Score
Can't really disagree with that. The "three true outcomes" approach that advanced analytics seems to support results in a far more boring game. I enjoy a good pitching duel and I enjoy big innings that result from "moving the line", but a game featuring 20 Ks and 8 HRs just isn't that compelling for me as a fan.

Yeah it’s unfortunate that better analytically has meant less pleasing aesthetically.

But then again the nba was the same for me. I will forever long for the glory days of all the elite centers.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
Everyone swoons over greinke and bumgarner, but they make schoop look like the babe.

I had the experience of having to deal with Ivan Nova for a couple of years, and he was on his way to setting new records for pitcher hitting futility. But I'll still take that over the DH. I'm not a fan of an endless parade of situational relievers coming in with no penalty (e.g. having to make a double switch) and unlike most stat heads, I appreciate a good sac bunt.

As I mentioned awhile ago upthread, here would be my conditions for adopting the DH in the NL:
1) it doesn't have to be a pitcher. If I've got Steven Brault starting and want to put Erik Gonzalez in at SS, then I'm gonna want to have a hitter for Gonzalez. Or allow Brault to hit for Gonzalez as the case may be.
2) A limit of 12 pitchers on rosters. If you've got some position guys who can pitch, that's fine.
3) Pitchers face a minimum of 3 batters.

I experienced AL baseball when I lived in Boston. I find it far less interesting that the NL brand of game.

Reaction Score
I have 2:

1) the NBA
2) The fact that analysts don't get fired when their predictions and prognostications don't materialize. Players and coaches do. Why not the analysts?

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
FWIW, the average time is 3 hrs, 5 minutes. I get your point but your time estimate is way off. And when you have a deGrom, Scherzer type pitcher can be closer to 2.5 hrs. But I hear you.

The other thing to think about is football. You watch a 1 pm game and it's done at 4 pm. When you look at the actual amount of game action in those 3 hours, you're spending a TON of time listening to announcers, watching replays, commercials, sideline reporters, etc. It's just that the game action is more explosive.
I tape games even if I'm home. I skip all the stuff I don't enjoy and time it so that I only end up watching the last several minutes live. This works as long as my wife isn't watching with me. She prefers listening to commentary and I support this. Poster above who's family isn't into sports married poorly and raised kids badly.

I do watch UConn men's bb games live only for the camaraderie with Boneyarders. I watch championship games live when there are players or teams I root for because I want to feel the atmosphere of a game.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
What are yours?

3 that come immediately to mind for me:

“Get in the hole!” guy at golf tournaments

People who yell just as the server is getting into their motion at tennis matches (might actually be the same person as get in the hole guy)

People running on the field, unless you’re streaking, then it’s always funny.
"Get in the hole!" Perfect example where someone said something ridiculous and the herd for one reason or another mindlessly perpetuates the silliness.

Every time I hear it I'm wondering if these are individuals recalling their initiation to sex or people who fought in wars.

Speaking of which how's married life treating you.

RayIsTheGOAT

Sticks, to the rafters
Reaction Score
The lack of action is imo.

Games have been around 3 hours for a while now. It’s the increase in strikeouts and lack of hits and action (despite runs being the same) that hurt it. Ironically, one could argue the steroids witch hunt hurt baseball rather than helped it (by cleaning it up)
You might be right, but I think it has more to do with the increase of ADD and general shorter attention span of young people.
And the fact the MLB is run by old baseball purists who refuse to get with the times. That’s why the NBA and NFL are miles ahead with the younger demographic (also the action part you mentioned)

RayIsTheGOAT

Sticks, to the rafters
Reaction Score
Not quite like Boston fans.

Let me add, people who prematurely say a sport is dead. Boxing is dead, until you realize Boxing is still killing it in PPV dollars. Baseball is dead because it takes too long. Accept 75% of the League sets or ties their gate record year after year, and regional tv ratings are very strong. Each has changed. Each has issues. Neither is dying.
I didn’t say baseball is dead, if that’s what you’re saying.

Baseball is factually dying. I saw ratings numbers for a Red Sox v Yankees Sunday night baseball a couple months ago. It was like a 2.0 for people aged 18-44 and a 13.0 for people 45+.

We could also talk about little league enrollment numbers if you’d like.

Trust me, I’d love for baseball to be more watchable. But it’s oversaturated and too stuck in its old past time ways. I love playing the sport and attending games but the MLB product is abysmal right now compared to it’s competition.

Last edited:

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
And the fact the MLB is run by old baseball purists who refuse to get with the times. That’s why the NBA and NFL are miles ahead with the younger demographic (also the action part you mentioned)

What would you do to help baseball 'get with the times'?

Wordbomar

"Walker on McGee with four.."
Reaction Score
Not every team in the country has a path to the national championship. If a team goes 13-0 and can't have a chance to win the whole thing, then the system is broken.

Reaction Score
The lack of action is imo.

Games have been around 3 hours for a while now. It’s the increase in strikeouts and lack of hits and action (despite runs being the same) that hurt it. Ironically, one could argue the steroids witch hunt hurt baseball rather than helped it (by cleaning it up)
Lol, you think baseball is clean now? There are way more homers now than ever before.

Reaction Score
ACC football promotion on ESPN. Other than Clemson, they're a Group of 5 conference.

the Q

Reaction Score
Lol, you think baseball is clean now? There are way more homers now than ever before.

The balls are juiced.

I should add that to my list...

Reaction Score
More than ever no doubt. Sucks but it’s reality. Add to the “super ball” it’s crazy. Still like the game.
It's just a fact of life in sports, basically everyone in football is juiced. There is simply too much money.

the Q

Reaction Score
It's just a fact of life in sports, basically everyone in football is juiced. There is simply too much money.

When are they starting to juice? Guys make 10k per year in the minors.

RayIsTheGOAT

Sticks, to the rafters
Reaction Score
What would you do to help baseball 'get with the times'?
I don’t know, maybe cut down from 162 freaking regular season games? Or do anything to get the game down to under 2.5 hours? Cut the game to 7 innings? Cut down the time in between half innings? Have a little more wiggle room for performing enhancing drugs?

Reaction Score
College football OT.
Too gimmicky.
Hometown officiating in college and pro hoops.
The HR hysteria in baseball. Admit it, the players or the balls are juiced.

Reaction Score
I don’t know, maybe cut down from 162 freaking regular season games? Or do anything to get the game down to under 2.5 hours? Cut the game to 7 innings? Cut down the time in between half innings? Have a little more wiggle room for performing enhancing drugs?

Agree on the timing points problem being how much the commercials in between innings mean to the teams and the stations financially.

On the wiggle room they’re not catching anyone anyway they need to get caught up on testing if nothing else.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom