Biggest sports annoyances | Page 6 | The Boneyard

Biggest sports annoyances

Reaction Score
NFL rules upon rules. Either intentional grounding or spiking the ball is legal or it isn't. Someone running with the ball is a running back or he isn't. Inside the pocket, outside the pocket. All rules apply the same whoever, whenever, wherever. The clock is too big a factor than it should be. I guess the NFL in general.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
I had turned an ankle and was catching in a playoff game. This idiot could have scored standing up from second but decided to slow down a bit, measure me up, and absolutely level me as the throw came in from left field. I answered with a right cross, and all hell broke loose . . .
You know you've got a good anecdote whenever it closes with "and all hell broke loose..."

Horatio

I played high school football
Reaction Score
Most places can’t afford the 3 man crews. Even high school doesn’t do 3 man for the regular season.
Anther
Depending on the age I have no issue with the one about parents being about the kids having fun. Frankly pre 7th grade I’m ok with it.

They’re kids. They should enjoy playing the game. But that’s what rec basketball is for.

Rec ball should be for almost all kids. AAU Basketball was intended to be for the exceptional few. Nowadays it’s a money grab.
It’s watered down in CT. Im not sure if there’s much of a governing body. Some states have an actual governing body and president that monitors the quality of programs and play.

Reaction Score
Sunday night football. Steelers vs. Patriots on a beautiful summer day and they play it at night.

W.T.F. is with the coach standing next to the ref because everyone knows the coach is going to call a time out to freeze the kicker. Amateurish for one. The ref should ignore that coach.

the Q

Yowie Wowie. We’re gonna have so much fun here
Reaction Score
Sunday night football. Steelers vs. Patriots on a beautiful summer day and they play it at night.

W.T.F. is with the coach standing next to the ref because everyone knows the coach is going to call a time out to freeze the kicker. Amateurish for one. The ref should ignore that coach.

Coaches shouldn’t be calling time outs...in either football or basketball.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
male's who bunt in adult beer-league kickball

I'm going to get roasted for this, but in the league I played/play in there's about 20 total teams. 14 or so are there to hang out and play casually, but like the top 6 teams have all played together for 5+ summers and take it very seriously and that includes bunting when appropriate.

I, sadly, will admit to be on one of the 6 teams that not only tolerate, but encourage bunting.

I'll take whatever shame is bestowed upon me.

Reaction Score
Can’t reach the outfield so u have to bunt ........ sweet

ShakyTheMohel

Is it 11:11 yet?
Reaction Score
I'm going to get roasted for this, but in the league I played/play in there's about 20 total teams. 14 or so are there to hang out and play casually, but like the top 6 teams have all played together for 5+ summers and take it very seriously and that includes bunting when appropriate.

I, sadly, will admit to be on one of the 6 teams that not only tolerate, but encourage bunting.

Am I the only one learning that “adult beer-league kickball” exists?

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
Can’t reach the outfield so u have to bunt ... sweet

Not to go full hardo, but kicking the ball in the air against a good team is almost assuredly going to be an out. Low line drives and bunts are the way to play if you want to win. Only defense against the bunt is to put your two best players at 3B and C.

the Q

Reaction Score
Baseball type sports played without a fence are up there with the worst ideas in sports.

- kickoffs/pints/extra point/field goals
- mini van sized goalie pads
- timeouts thag advance the ball 3/4 court

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score

Kickball, at that level of competitiveness, seems like no fun.

Let's compare worthless trophies... I could tell my nephew how, as a C league softball team, we won the Stamford City Championship over an A team and I hit over .700 for the year.

You can show your grandkids your kickball trophy and say proudly, "I was a great bunter."

Reaction Score
NL rules having pitchers bat and anyone who disagrees with me about it.

Reaction Score
Used to love the sport. Still love going to games in person, and some of my greatest sports memories come from attending Red Sox games.

I have completely lost the attention span for watching a 4 hour marathon of it on tv. It is an oversaturated blackhole of my free time of watching men grab their crotches and spit on the ground. The MLB needs to get with the times.

FWIW, the average time is 3 hrs, 5 minutes. I get your point but your time estimate is way off. And when you have a deGrom, Scherzer type pitcher can be closer to 2.5 hrs. But I hear you.

The other thing to think about is football. You watch a 1 pm game and it's done at 4 pm. When you look at the actual amount of game action in those 3 hours, you're spending a TON of time listening to announcers, watching replays, commercials, sideline reporters, etc. It's just that the game action is more explosive.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score

It's not like the 60s. They only bat once or twice a game these days. And the difference in offense between AL & NL is microscopic and not worth losing that part of the history of the game forever, IMO.

I hate AL fake baseball. If you're gonna play that way, then reduce rosters to 20. Also allow the designated hitter to replace anyone on the field, not limited to the pitcher.

https://tht.fangraphs.com/the-case-for-eliminating-the-Dan Hurley/
Flu-Like Symptoms: The Strategic Argument Against the DH - Baseball Prospectus

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Not to go full hardo, but kicking the ball in the air against a good team is almost assuredly going to be an out. Low line drives and bunts are the way to play if you want to win. Only defense against the bunt is to put your two best players at 3B and C.
Lol thanks for the strategy I’ll remember that when I go out for recess tomorrow

Reaction Score
Had a dude in the league I used to play in try and distract the hitters whenever he was pitching. He’d casually ask the umpire for the count or something and then quick pitch in the middle of his question. He’d wave his glove around like a psycho as he was mid pitch. Stuff like that. So hardo I actually had to respect it.
The pitcher for my softball team had a heart attack on the field mid game, and he already wants to come back and play the fall season that starts this week. I think he may have a problem

the Q

Reaction Score

I was against this for a long time, but watching kelvin Herrera bat in the ws was the last straw for me.

At the very least the World Series needs to be 7 games with the dh. Having 2 sets of rules on baseballs biggest stage is beyond stupid.

MTHusky

UCONN Grad class of 1970, living in Brookings OR
Reaction Score
sorry but most Whaler11 and freescooter posts.

Reaction Score
NBA illegal defense, no hand checking, the 3 second rule

MLB the designated hitter, the yankees, yankee fans, pitchers get 5 days rest

NFL Ambiguous rules that come up at the most important moments, "tuck rule"

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member