Biggest sports annoyances | Page 7 | The Boneyard

Biggest sports annoyances

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
Am I the only one that notices during CBS Sports Network or CBS Football broadcasts that when the score/time graphic comes back on the screen it plays like a little squeaky noise?

That drives me nuts.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
The WNBA.
TV interviews during live game action.

This and when they focus on the booth. It’s especially bad with Remy during Red Sox games. Show the game! I do not want to see the announcers. At all. Ever. Except some very attractive sideline reporters.

Another one is the intolerable pace of baseball. Patriots started at 8:22 Monday. Red Sox at 8:05. Sox were in the 8th when the Patriots game ended. And that is with a halftime break. Time for a pitch clock and disallowing batters to step out of the box once the at bat has begun.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
As an older Jamaican-American, I don't fit the demographic of a baseball fan. They seem to be mostly older white men and teenage girls. A weird combo.

So why is that? To the north is Cuba, they love baseball. To the east, you get an island where half the people speak French and don’t care and half are baseball crazy Dominicans. I’ve always found it odd.

Reaction Score
Fantasy baseball is my jam, I love it immensely. It’s great when you’ve put together a great team and can enjoy the feeling of being head and shoulders better than the rest of your league..... and then they lay an egg in the playoffs.

Also, in before the obligatory “When people start talking about their fantasy team...”

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
Had a dude in the league I used to play in try and distract the hitters whenever he was pitching. He’d casually ask the umpire for the count or something and then quick pitch in the middle of his question. He’d wave his glove around like a psycho as he was mid pitch. Stuff like that. So hardo I actually had to respect it.
There’s a dude in my league who goes SO HARD it irritates a lot of people but he’s just super intense. Never talks trash, never plays dirty he just always goes 110% ;)

I respect him (aside from how dumb it is he cares this much about softball) more so than guys who are awful and play dirty

Reaction Score
Yelling out a word associated with your team during the National Anthem. Tacky .

pepband99

Resident TV nerd
Reaction Score
Am I the only one that notices during CBS Sports Network or CBS Football broadcasts that when the score/time graphic comes back on the screen it plays like a little squeaky noise?

That drives me nuts.

NO - you're not. It's some stupid cricket sound that is supposedly social media relevant somehow. It's bothered me for years!

RayIsTheGOAT

Sticks, to the rafters
Reaction Score
FWIW, the average time is 3 hrs, 5 minutes. I get your point but your time estimate is way off. And when you have a deGrom, Scherzer type pitcher can be closer to 2.5 hrs. But I hear you.

The other thing to think about is football. You watch a 1 pm game and it's done at 4 pm. When you look at the actual amount of game action in those 3 hours, you're spending a TON of time listening to announcers, watching replays, commercials, sideline reporters, etc. It's just that the game action is more explosive.
3 hours and 5 minutes is still way too long. And 4 hours is a joke, and it’s not uncommon. That’s the problem.

Football is hard to watch sometimes too when I have a neutral rooting interest. I’ll watch my team and occasionally another game if it’s a good game. It’s 7 seconds of action and 1 minute of nothing. Rinse, repeat. For 3+ hours.

That’s why I love European soccer. In and out in 2 hours, no commercials, 1 intermission.

College basketball too, 2 hours in and out. They still have a ways to go with fouls, timeouts and other stoppages, though.

Reaction Score
People who say "RBIs"

Boston Fans....they can gloat about winning and whine about losing at the same time.

Flopping

Regular season hockey

Duke Vitale

People who think Jordan will always be the GOAT

The weird floor/field level camera angle networks will sometimes switch to for no damned reason.

People who complain about the length of games.

RayIsTheGOAT

Sticks, to the rafters
Reaction Score
People who say "RBIs"

Boston Fans....they can gloat about winning and whine about losing at the same time.

Flopping

Regular season hockey

Duke Vitale

People who think Jordan will always be the GOAT

The weird floor/field level camera angle networks will sometimes switch to for no damned reason.

People who complain about the length of games.
Wow that sounds like every sports fan that ever existed ever.

And by the way, length and pace of games in MLB are killing the sport.

Last edited:

the Q

Yowie Wowie. We’re gonna have so much fun here
Reaction Score

The lack of action is imo.

Games have been around 3 hours for a while now. It’s the increase in strikeouts and lack of hits and action (despite runs being the same) that hurt it. Ironically, one could argue the steroids witch hunt hurt baseball rather than helped it (by cleaning it up)

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
The lack of action is imo.

Games have been around 3 hours for a while now. It’s the increase in strikeouts and lack of hits and action (despite runs being the same) that hurt it. Ironically, one could argue the steroids witch hunt hurt baseball rather than helped it (by cleaning it up)

Can't really disagree with that. The "three true outcomes" approach that advanced analytics seems to support results in a far more boring game. I enjoy a good pitching duel and I enjoy big innings that result from "moving the line", but a game featuring 20 Ks and 8 HRs just isn't that compelling for me as a fan.

the Q

Reaction Score
NBA illegal defense, no hand checking, the 3 second rule

MLB the designated hitter, the yankees, yankee fans, pitchers get 5 days rest

NFL Ambiguous rules that come up at the most important moments, "tuck rule"

Whoever thought illegal defense was ever a good idea is a horrible person.

The nbas continuing harming good post play.

Anyone who doesn’t recognize that Shaq got the rawest deal of any nba player in history. Shooting anything less than 50 FTs meant that the officials did a terrible job. But thanks to him I learned about sport (mlb, nhl) vs sports entertainment (nba and nfl).

The tuck rule wasn’t even called correctly. Brady finished the tuck (both hands are holding the ball t the time of contact)...and committed a personal foul worthy trip after that.

I can’t hate the dh anymore. Pitchers hitting is just too painful to watch

Reaction Score
Whoever thought illegal defense was ever a good idea is a horrible person.

The nbas continuing harming good post play.

Anyone who doesn’t recognize that Shaq got the rawest deal of any nba player in history. Shooting anything less than 50 FTs meant that the officials did a terrible job. But thanks to him I learned about sport (mlb, nhl) vs sports entertainment (nba and nfl).

The tuck rule wasn’t even called correctly. Brady finished the tuck (both hands are holding the ball t the time of contact)...and committed a personal foul worthy trip after that.

I can’t hate the Dan Hurley anymore. Pitchers hitting is just too painful to watch

It always cracks me up when D H turns into Dan Hurley.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
I can’t hate the dh anymore. Pitchers hitting is just too painful to watch

The average AL designated hitter this year has a .254 BA, Ks 25% of the time and hits a HR every 21.3 plate appearances. Basically Jonathan Schoop.

Are you really that much more excited over seeing Jonathan Schoop bat 4x over an NL pitcher batting twice?

I may be biased as the Pirates have a couple of pitchers who make nifty PHs and PRs.

Reaction Score

Not quite like Boston fans.

Let me add, people who prematurely say a sport is dead. Boxing is dead, until you realize Boxing is still killing it in PPV dollars. Baseball is dead because it takes too long. Accept 75% of the League sets or ties their gate record year after year, and regional tv ratings are very strong. Each has changed. Each has issues. Neither is dying.

Reaction Score
The average AL designated hitter this year has a .254 BA, Ks 25% of the time and hits a HR every 21.3 plate appearances. Basically Jonathan Schoop.

Are you really that much more excited over seeing Jonathan Schoop bat 4x over an NL pitcher batting twice?

I may be biased as the Pirates have a couple of pitchers who make nifty PHs and PRs.
That's a bit disingenuous, could just as easily say that's Michael Conforto or Yasiel Puig with those same numbers and get everyone to say yes they are more excited.

And for the record, yes I would be more excited for more Jonathan Schoop ABs over a pitcher

the Q

Reaction Score

Everyone swoons over greinke and bumgarner, but they make schoop look like the babe.

the Q

Reaction Score
Not quite like Boston fans.

Let me add, people who prematurely say a sport is dead. Boxing is dead, until you realize Boxing is still killing it in PPV dollars. Baseball is dead because it takes too long. Accept 75% of the League sets or ties their gate record year after year, and regional tv ratings are very strong. Each has changed. Each has issues. Neither is dying.

Baseballs biggest issue is an aging demographic and it is a regional sport. People will waste 3 hours watching the NFLs sports entertainment for 2 random teams...despite having less action than an mlb game. Baseball fans tend to be far more regional. Part of that is the number of games makes it hard to have a national tv deal like the nfls. You have Sunday night baseball and fox. As the only true comparisons. But the fox deal can compete with the local team.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom