Biggest sports annoyances | The Boneyard

Biggest sports annoyances

Reaction Score
What are yours?

3 that come immediately to mind for me:

“Get in the hole!” guy at golf tournaments

People who yell just as the server is getting into their motion at tennis matches (might actually be the same person as get in the hole guy)

People running on the field, unless you’re streaking, then it’s always funny.

Last edited:

jleves

Awesomeness
Reaction Score
When sports movies mess up basic rules and concepts like when a football team gets a turnover with 30 seconds left and the clock continues to run and/or the coach calls an immediate timeout. You're doing a sports movie, how hard is it find even a casual fan to keep you honest?

Reaction Score
Sam Rosen calling Rangers games. He's a pretty good, objective play-by-play guy for football games, but he's got his rose-colored shades on all the time and he often glorifies routine plays to whichever player is in the fans' doghouse:

Example: "Henrik Lundqvist with a great center of the chest save on an open wrister from the blueline."

Apollo

step back from the ledge
Reaction Score
What are yours?

People who yell just as the server is getting into their motion at tennis matches (might actually be the same person as get in the hole guy)

A-Rod

Reaction Score
For soccer: Time wasting, diving, fake injuries, Alexi Lalas, Taylor Twellman, and non-British people using British lingo
Most other sports it's just bad officiating/commentary.

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
When sports movies mess up basic rules and concepts like when a football team gets a turnover with 30 seconds left and the clock continues to run and/or the coach calls an immediate timeout. You're doing a sports movie, how hard is it find even a casual fan to keep you honest?
Movies focusing on sports are usually not bad at this but when TV shows that shouldn’t be showing sports try and mess it up it’s very cringeworthy. In the most recent season of 13 Reasons Why (I know) there’s a focus on a football and it’s brutal. First of all who ever designed the uniforms has clearly never seen a football uniform before. There’s also like 8 kids on the whole team. The game action is hilarious as well.

Reaction Score
Soccer parents who yell "Boot it" or "Shoot."

We had a kid who booted it off her teammate's back and into our own goal. I told the Dad, "That's on you."

Or "shoot it!" when the ball is at midfield and the opposing team is in possession.

RichZ

Fort the ead!
Reaction Score
"X can really rebound the ball." Why do we need "the ball" on that thought? Are the announcers being paid by the word?

Reaction Score
Color analysts in college football.

I don't need a deep dive on every incomplete pass or two yard run.
Unless your listening to home broadcasts on the radio. Some of those guys are down right entertaining. Case in point, Chiefs (yes, not college, but still funny) broadcast on Sirius:

“Sometimes you’ve got to let the sausage taste the nectar.”

Poe

Reaction Score
Celebrations after a touchdown in the NFL. They’re all stupid. Plus dumb celebrations (flexing, etc.) after a normal play, e.g., catch or tackle.

Reaction Score
What are yours?

I hate the people who yell before a serve, I hate Nadal's stall tactics against Medvedev, and I hate watching Nadal pick his wedgie after every point.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
Soccer parents who yell "Boot it" or "Shoot."

We had a kid who booted it off her teammate's back and into our own goal. I told the Dad, "That's on you."

Or "shoot it!" when the ball is at midfield and the opposing team is in possession.

I'd like to introduce you to swim parents who stand up and yell "PULL!" while their kid is racing in heat two of a sixteen heat event at 7 am.

No kid in the history of swimming has ever actually heard their parents yelling because.....their ears are covered in two layers of silicone cap and, along with the rest of their head, are completely submerged under water.

But I gotta hear it.

Horatio

I played high school football
Reaction Score
Unrealistic sports fans. First day of the NFL season and every team that won today is Superbowl bound. Every team that lost stinks and needs to fire the coach.

Middle School/ High school girls basketball referees. Most of them don’t care about the girls games and referee them as if their just trying to get it over with.They are horrible.I reported several of them this past summer and confronted a couple. At least act like your not upset because you have to officiate girls. At least call one of the six fouls that just took place within the last 15 seconds. I hate you.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
LL umpiring. Can’t ask a kid to learn the strike zone with that huge plate they allow the pitcher. LL World Series games you actually will see strikes consistently called when they hit the line in the other batters box. Awful

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom