Big East WBB Awards | Page 5 | The Boneyard

Big East WBB Awards

Dogstar

Of course I'm Sirius
Reaction Score
Game after game Christyn gets the toughest defensive assignment covering the opposing team’s best offensive threat at g/w. I think that speaks to Geno’s feelings about Christyn’s defensive ability.
Well said

Bald Husky

four score
Reaction Score
Those 1st 6 games Paige was our best defender and the rest of the year CW was up there. I think a strong case overall could be made for Liv as the league's best defender. A lot of this stuff is impressions during Big East games and Nika generally does very well in Big East games. They all are very good defenders.

I have little doubt that, if healthy and given PT, both Caroline and Azzi would have been 1st team overall. Paige is the only guard in this league that's better IMO.
Why do we still have this controversy about Nika, and whether or not she is the best defender on the team? There are still doubters, but it's funny, the people looking in from the outside of the program, and the best ones to judge, the opposing coaches, feel she is the best in the league. What does this girl have to do to convince these guys of her importance? Geno said it best, that the whole team played better when she was inserted into the starting line up, not just this year, but last year as well. We all know that our defense propels our offence, so being named DPOY is actually a good thing, don't you think? Last year in the regionals, our come back against Baylor was fueled by DiDi Richards leaving the game with an injury. At that point, Baylor fell apart and lost the lead. DiDi Richards, their point guard, the Big 12 DPOY, and someone who rarely scored. Sound familiar? Geno knows what is best for the team, so lets just support whoever is out there like we always do. They are all great to me.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Why do we still have this controversy about Nika, and whether or not she is the best defender on the team? There are still doubters, but it's funny, the people looking in from the outside of the program, and the best ones to judge, the opposing coaches, feel she is the best in the league. What does this girl have to do to convince these guys of her importance? Geno said it best, that the whole team played better when she was inserted into the starting line up, not just this year, but last year as well. We all know that our defense propels our offence, so being named DPOY is actually a good thing, don't you think? Last year in the regionals, our come back against Baylor was fueled by DiDi Richards leaving the game with an injury. At that point, Baylor fell apart and lost the lead. DiDi Richards, their point guard, the Big 12 DPOY, and someone who rarely scored. Sound familiar? Geno knows what is best for the team, so lets just support whoever is out there like we always do. They are all great to me.
I agree that Nika has been an invaluable member of UConn WBB for the past 2 years. As for the naysayers, some folks would rather cut out their tongues than admit to being wrong. :oops:

Reaction Score

I said this in another thread about Nika- every successful team in every sport has that one player who when they are in the lineup just makes the team play better. They don't usually put up huge numbers, they just make things happen out there that enable their teammates to do their thing more often & better, thus helping the team win more.

Nika that player for UConn.

Reaction Score
I said this in another thread about Nika- every successful team in every sport has that one player who when they are in the lineup just makes the team play better. They don't usually put up huge numbers, they just make things happen out there that enable their teammates to do their thing more often & better, thus helping the team win more.

Nika that player for UConn.
You are in good company. her coach has shared that same opinion numerous times!

Jim

Reaction Score
With regards to Nika getting the DPOY nod, you have to take into consideration that it is the league's coaches doing the voting. As opposed to the best one-on-one defender or shot blocker, perhaps Nika is the one who disrupts the opposing team's offensive game plan the most. By denying passes, pushing the dribbler away from the basket, making passes into the post harder (not to mention steals), she is likely the one who makes opposing coaches' lives more difficult, hence the votes.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
With regards to Nika getting the DPOY nod, you have to take into consideration that it is the league's coaches doing the voting. As opposed to the best one-on-one defender or shot blocker, perhaps Nika is the one who disrupts the opposing team's offensive game plan the most. By denying passes, pushing the dribbler away from the basket, making passes into the post harder (not to mention steals), she is likely the one who makes opposing coaches' lives more difficult, hence the votes.
Nika defends the opposing team’s pg, and she is relentless. If you stop the opposing team’s pg, the player who initiates the offense, you essentially stop the opposing team’s offense.

BRS24

LisaG
Reaction Score
Nika defends the opposing team’s pg, and she is relentless. If you stop the opposing team’s pg, the player who initiates the offense, you essentially stop the opposing team’s offense.
Yes, these. If a majority of the coaches in the league found that Nika was the most disruptive defensive player, this is exactly why she was give the award. I've always thought that DPOY awards that go to players that mostly block shots is not defense in the purest sense, and no, I am not knocking any UCWBB post player that has received this award in the past. DPOY this year is similar to the MVP and MOP arguments where a player can be outstanding (ppg, etc), but most valuable is for the player whose contributions above and beyond "just points" made a difference in the game.

Reaction Score
You are in good company. her coach has shared that same opinion numerous times!

Wow I didn't know that. I can't get SNY anymore so watching games & interviews is a lot harder than it used to be :(

Reaction Score
I'm happy for Nika. I think she should start for the rest of the reason.

I'm also glad for all the ladies who won awards. They all really persevered. Nika was playing very few minutes and looked timid early on in the season. Caroline was in a similar position as well, and even had some coaches DNPs. Azzi of course has had the injury bug the past couple years, and had somewhat of a tough start to the season. It's impressive how they all just kept with it and developed. It's the great thing about watching college sports and a team like this.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
Wow I didn't know that. I can't get SNY anymore so watching games & interviews is a lot harder than it used to be :(
Did you see the post tacked to the top of the board regarding streaming games? Also, most post-game interviews with Geno and players are posted here or you can probably find them on YouTube. Go to YouTube.com and put UCTV into the search function

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
Late to the party. Congrats to all awards winners from all the teams across the BE. I hope the coaches all continue to recruit high caliber players. The BE might only get 2 teams into the NCAA's, even tho I think 4 are deserving. It's up to the teams to recruit better, play better OOC schedules, and boost the exposure of the league (ie. NET etc.).

I know UCONN doesn't recruit kids who want individual accolades, but these players are all human. I wonder if any of them feel slighted. They certainly are aware of who won, who is on which team, etc. It will be interesting to see if any of the UCONN players come out with a chip on their shoulders, or roll thru the BET. We will know soon enough!

I just hope as a team, we continue to gel now that we have everyone back healthy who we were ever going to have this year (miss you Aubrey!!). I do hope we roll the BET slaughtering everyone along the way. And that the team continues to get more cohesive every day.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
I'm looking for a two-way tie for Big East Player of the Year next season.......Bueckers and Fudd......,,.;)
Better leave room for a three way tie Charlie. Aneesah Morrow may have something to say about that. Especially if you believe that Morrow will improve her play and dominance next year. :rolleyes:

Next season is too far away to make any realistic predictions. There will be a lot of Uber talented players in the BE next year. I wouldn’t leave Maddie Siegrist (Villanova) out of the conversation either. She’s a certified bucket.

Reaction Score
Better leave room for a three way tie Charlie. Aneesah Morrow may have something to say about that. Especially if you believe that Morrow will improve her play and dominance next year. :rolleyes:

Next season is too far away to make any realistic predictions. There will be a lot of Uber talented players in the BE next year. I wouldn’t leave Maddie Siegrist (Villanova) out of the conversation either. She’s a certified bucket.
I just can't imagine Morrow having another season as good as this one.........her stats are off the charts........because she's so undersized, it takes amazing effort on every play for her to succeed and with two cranky knees I'd be a bit concerned for her in the long run.....

Carnac

Reaction Score
Late to the party. Congrats to all awards winners from all the teams across the BE. I hope the coaches all continue to recruit high caliber players. The BE might only get 2 teams into the NCAA's, even tho I think 4 are deserving. It's up to the teams to recruit better, play better OOC schedules, and boost the exposure of the league (ie. NET etc.).

I know UCONN doesn't recruit kids who want individual accolades, but these players are all human. I wonder if any of them feel slighted. They certainly are aware of who won, who is on which team, etc. It will be interesting to see if any of the UCONN players come out with a chip on their shoulders, or roll thru the BET. We will know soon enough!

I just hope as a team, we continue to gel now that we have everyone back healthy who we were ever going to have this year (miss you Aubrey!!). I do hope we roll the BET slaughtering everyone along the way. And that the team continues to get more cohesive every day.
Good post Eric. If the BE wants to raise the level of awareness and respectibility across the landscape of WCBB, it starts with recruitment. Each team must improve the quality of their program one player at a time. Play and win your OCC games against “quality” opponents.

Kim Mulkey (LSU) has shown how to turn a program completely around in less than 1 year. She turned an unranked (in April when she arrived ) LSU team to number 6 in the country in 10 months.

Some of our coaches have been at their schools for years. Georgetown, Xavier and Butler need to get up off the conference basement floor and make improvements to the quality of their teams now. At least become a .500 team.

Carnac

Reaction Score
I just can't imagine Morrow having another season as good as this one.........her stats are off the charts........because she's so undersized, it takes amazing effort on every play for her to succeed and with two cranky knees I'd be a bit concerned for her in the long run.....
Agreed. She came in with a history of knee problems and will only go as far as her knees allow. She reminds me of Morgan Tuck on steroids. We’ll see. But until her knees give out, you’ve got to recognize that she’s in the running.

Reaction Score

Morrow is one of those players I love to dislike. She definitely deserved the award. As much as I wish Fudd, or Paige got it, this young lady earned it. Congratulation to the committee for seeing the obvious.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
Good post Eric. If the BE wants to raise the level of awareness and respectibility across the landscape of WCBB, it starts with recruitment. Each team must improve the quality of their program one player at a time. Play and win your OCC games against “quality” opponents.

Kim Mulkey (LSU) has shown how to turn a program completely around in less than 1 year. She turned an unranked (in April when she arrived ) LSU team to number 6 in the country in 10 months.

Some of our coaches have been at their schools for years. Georgetown, Xavier and Butler need to get up off the conference basement floor and make improvements to the quality of their teams now. At least become a .500 team.
So true. Last season under Fargas, LSU was 9-13 overall and 8th in the SEC. But in fairness, Mulkey brought Gusters with her, and has 7 seniors on the team. She also added Bartlett, who decommitted from Syracuse after the whole Hillsman debacle.

Still, even with the 7 seniors (can't find if she got any other players from the portal - ie. any of those 7 seniors), you are 100% right - she went from zero to hero in 1 season.

Reaction Score
While Ducharme was very good when she finally broke out, she did miss a handful of games to injury late in the year & some early due to freshman status pre-Paige/Azzi injuries. Missed games is presumably the reason Azzi didn’t receive any award recognition aside from All-Freshman.

Evina played every game & was arguably the glue that kept the team together, not to mention adapting adroitly to 6th man role on the fly.

Therefore, I think Evina deserved Big East award recognition: either 6th Man or 2nd Team.

EDIT: Fair point made about 6th Man eligibility so withdraw above point.
I keep my sanity by remembering Uconn next season, with a healthy team, will pick up awards in all categories. Those who received the awards, in my humble opinion, earned them. Good Job BE.

Reaction Score

Carnac

Reaction Score
One more thought Charlie on Morrow's knees. Up to the point she became a member of the DePaul WBB team, Morrow was under the care of what ever medical provider(s) her parents were able to provide. We don't know if she got the same level and depth of orthopedic care she is getting now or not. I can't speak to that nor will I speculate.

Now that she is an active DePaul scholarship athlete, she is exposed to the some of finest orthopedic doctors and training staff in the country. They are no doubt monitoring her condition and will continue to so until she leaves the program. If she needs any type of medical procedure to correct a problem, she'll get it. As you know, players often have medical procedures done over the summer to correct problems, be they preexisting or acquired during the course of the season (most recently for us Evina Westbrook and Paige Bueckers had preexisting conditions addressed over the summer months).

Unless she has a degenerative condition, I think the medical staff can/will be able to keep her on the floor for 3 more years. Last week, I gave a tip o' the turban to UConn's medical staff for the excellent work they are doing and have done over the years to repair and rehabilitate our girls injuries, and keep them upright and healthy. It's something I'm going to watch the next 3 years.

Morrow is fun to watch. I'll look forward to the UConn/DePaul games just to see her. I expect her to get better and become more aggressive with each passing year. Any doubt she'll be a first round WNBA draft pick? Can you imaging her in 3 years? Bigger, stronger, faster and meaner. :mad: I know she won't be able to play "bully ball" in the paint in the W like she does now, but I have a feeling she'll hold her own and improve the fortunes of whatever team she goes to.

Reaction Score
When I think of opposing players that I admire the most, Ms. Morrow is at the top of the list.

Reaction Score
Nice backhanded compliment to Nika(?) Glad you think "...and Nika generally does very well in Big East games" after pointing out three teammates that in your opinion were probably better. It seems the coaches in the league including Geno rate her defensive value a bit higher, but what do they know... A simple congrats to one of our players on being recognized would be a great response imo.
Our best defenders are Liv, Nika, Dorka and Paige in that order ..

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
So true. Last season under Fargas, LSU was 9-13 overall and 8th in the SEC. But in fairness, Mulkey brought Gusters with her, and has 7 seniors on the team. She also added Bartlett, who decommitted from Syracuse after the whole Hillsman debacle.
With all due respect to Gusters, Mulkey's most significant addition to the LSU roster was Alexis Morris. She's been brilliant.

Reaction Score

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom