Big East WBB Awards | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Big East WBB Awards

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Congrats to all players. Evina should have won one.
I’m reminded when Donny Marshall didn’t get named to any of the Big East teams and then completely went off in the Big East tournament. I’m not saying that’s necessarily going to happen, but, Evina can make a point if she wants to.

Reaction Score
It would be somewhat ironic if Evina Westbrook is the highest WNBA draft choice from the Big East, after not receiving any recognition. I think she earned at least sixth player of the year.
While Ducharme was very good when she finally broke out, she did miss a handful of games to injury late in the year & some early due to freshman status pre-Paige/Azzi injuries. Missed games is presumably the reason Azzi didn’t receive any award recognition aside from All-Freshman.

Evina played every game & was arguably the glue that kept the team together, not to mention adapting adroitly to 6th man role on the fly.

Therefore, I think Evina deserved Big East award recognition: either 6th Man or 2nd Team.

EDIT: Fair point made about 6th Man eligibility so withdraw above point.

Last edited:

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
Nika has certainly been a pest and hounded other teams ballhandlers to death, but haven't people on this forum, and I think Geno, been saying Williams is our best defender, we put her on the other teams top scorer, etc. If so, why is she not the defensive POY? Maybe she is just most versatile defender because of her size? But as noted, I do love Nika's defense and her hustle and enthusiasm. Has a defensive POY ever not been on one of the all big east teams, not even honorable mention? Did Farris make an all BE team?
I don't think Kelly did -- she was DPOY and I think tied for most improved her senior year. I'm reasonably sure Kiah Stokes was DPOY without making first or second team all-BigE.

The opposing coaches vote for these awards. So they think Nika is a better defender than Cnristyn, even if Geno knows better. I'm thrilled to see Nika receive this award, although it was the most surprising of all the awards to me, especially since Nelson-Ododa won it last year and has continued to play good D.

Reaction Score
Nika has certainly been a pest and hounded other teams ballhandlers to death, but haven't people on this forum, and I think Geno, been saying Williams is our best defender, we put her on the other teams top scorer, etc. If so, why is she not the defensive POY? Maybe she is just most versatile defender because of her size? But as noted, I do love Nika's defense and her hustle and enthusiasm. Has a defensive POY ever not been on one of the all big east teams, not even honorable mention? Did Farris make an all BE team?
Re Williams vs Nika for the award: Big East coaches vote for the award winners and in their eyes Nika was defensive best. I have to agree.

Reaction Score
" I wish I could have seen Shelly Pennefather play."
She was a great one. I think that a good "UCONN comp" would be Kerry Bascom.
Yeah the reclusive Pennyfeather started a long line of exceptional New York State high school basketball champions: Chamique, Sue Bird, Tina Charles, Stef Dolson, Bria Hartley, Breanna Stewart et al

Reaction Score
It’s also ironic that the Defensive POY isn’t on the All Big East team. We know what we have in Nika :). We have Nika and they don’t
I was thinking the same thing, Nan--at least second team. I'm not saying anyone was not deserving but that's just strange. Additionally, if Caroline and Azzi had full seasons, IMO both would have been 1st team as well...

Reaction Score
So, do I understand this right? Maddy Siegrist is the Big East Player of the Year, but she's not on the All Big East First Team? How does that happen?
Yeah! I noted that too, but thought I'd missed something when I read the awards. Is it possible this is a BIg East practice/tradition that the POY and DPOY are not included on the FIrst (or second or third) team?

Reaction Score
Re Williams vs Nika for the award: Big East coaches vote for the award winners and in their eyes Nika was defensive best. I have to agree.
I am admittedly biased because I am a big fan of Nikia, but I think the difference in her and CW is that CW is a great individual defender while Nakia was the catalyst for UConn's team defense and made more visual, impactful plays such as steals for a basket. When asked to stop the opponent's best scorer, CW is that stopper, which is why Geno coined her the team's best defender. . Both are very valuable, but Nakia set the defensive tone for entire season when she was inserted into the lineup....

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Deep article about Morrow in the Athletic

I thought about being a breakout freshman, a freshman of the year,” she says. “I talk to Coach Doug, and I always tell him I want to be different. I want to bring things to this program that nobody else has brought.”

Reaction Score
I don't think I've seen Geno say that CWill is our best defender. I saw him say Paige was, and that CWill improved, but not best.

Personally, I thought Nika was our best defender this year. And I'm certainly happy that she was recognized because she's a player who some don't value. She reminds me of Kelly Farris, but has the potential to be an even better player because she's a point guard. (It's really a shame Kelly could never make that transition)

Reaction Score
So, do I understand this right? Maddy Siegrist is the Big East Player of the Year, but she's not on the All Big East First Team? How does that happen?
That is intentional. The POY is not eligible; a way to spread the wealth.

Reaction Score
The only thing I can think of is that the conference views these two awards SEPARATELY. There can only be 1 POY. There are 5 first team players that comprise a team or a "group" award.

In theory, the POY is "THE BEST" of this group, but is listed and recognized separately, and is given her own award. In my mind, there are 6 players that are on that first team. The POY, and the 5 other players named.

Thoughts? :rolleyes:
Your assumption is correct

Reaction Score
There are about a dozen posts asking why Maddy was not First Team. She is! The first team has 10 players, as noted in another half dozen posts. Reading is not the BY strong suit

Reaction Score
Given that these awards are selected by the coaches in the BE I think it says a lot that they selected Nika as DPOY. I am not surprised because of the pressure she puts on the ball coming down the floor - effectively reducing the opponents clock virtually ever possession. Many times this effects them being able to get into their preferred offensive sets while also getting into the head of the player she is harassing. As noted by others she also energizes her whole teams defensive intensity. The woman is a menace, and thankfully is ours! Congrats to her and all the other awardees.

Reaction Score
Those 1st 6 games Paige was our best defender and the rest of the year CW was up there. I think a strong case overall could be made for Liv as the league's best defender. A lot of this stuff is impressions during Big East games and Nika generally does very well in Big East games. They all are very good defenders.

I have little doubt that, if healthy and given PT, both Caroline and Azzi would have been 1st team overall. Paige is the only guard in this league that's better IMO.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Those 1st 6 games Paige was our best defender and the rest of the year CW was up there. I think a strong case overall could be made for Liv as the league's best defender. A lot of this stuff is impressions during Big East games and Nika generally does very well in Big East games. They all are very good defenders.

I have little doubt that, if healthy and given PT, both Caroline and Azzi would have been 1st team overall. Paige is the only guard in this league that's better IMO.
Nice backhanded compliment to Nika(?) Glad you think "...and Nika generally does very well in Big East games" after pointing out three teammates that in your opinion were probably better. It seems the coaches in the league including Geno rate her defensive value a bit higher, but what do they know... A simple congrats to one of our players on being recognized would be a great response imo.

Last edited:

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
I don't think I've seen Geno say that CWill is our best defender. I saw him say Paige was, and that CWill improved, but not best.

Personally, I thought Nika was our best defender this year. And I'm certainly happy that she was recognized because she's a player who some don't value. She reminds me of Kelly Farris, but has the potential to be an even better player because she's a point guard. (It's really a shame Kelly could never make that transition)
Game after game Christyn gets the toughest defensive assignment covering the opposing team’s best offensive threat at g/w. I think that speaks to Geno’s feelings about Christyn’s defensive ability.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom