Big East WBB Awards | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Big East WBB Awards

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
It would be somewhat ironic if Evina Westbrook is the highest WNBA draft choice from the Big East, after not receiving any recognition. I think she earned at least sixth player of the year.
It’s also ironic that the Defensive POY isn’t on the All Big East team. We know what we have in Nika :). We have Nika and they don’t

Reaction Score
It would be somewhat ironic if Evina Westbrook is the highest WNBA draft choice from the Big East, after not receiving any recognition. I think she earned at least sixth player of the year.
She was a starter for most of the season. Maybe the voters took that into consideration. Who knows!! :confused:

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
I guess they have to give these awards to the other teams in order to build their self esteem within the league. We all know what Caroline, Dorka, and Evina have done along with Olivia, Ayliah and Christyn was extraordinary.
VOD, don't hate. IMHO, ALL of the recipients of these awards EARNED them. There does not appear to be any bias shown here. A "fair" evaluator can look at these awards without bias or favoritism for a particular team/player. Sometimes there are other players that had a better season than any of yours.

Our girls are good (and I stand behind them 100%), but some of these players were better THIS year. I'm a HUGE UConn fan, but I'm also a realist. None of our girls eclipsed the year that any of these recipients had. Congratulations to ALL of the BIG EAST Conference awards recipients.

We'll get 'em next year. I fully expect BOTH of our incoming freshmen next year to win end-of-the-year conference awards. I think our Ayanna Patterson may be the front runner for the pre-season FOY. Hopefully BOTH will have a substantial impact on the season and our fortunes next year. :)

Carnac

Reaction Score
It’s also ironic that the Defensive POY isn’t on the All Big East team. We know what we have in Nika :). We have Nika and they don’t
Isn't that an oxy moron? That's like saying the league MVP is not on the first team?!? If you're the DPY, you have to be included on the first team. We know who and what Nike is. We know how important she is to our program. We don't need anyone else's approval or validation for Nika. :mad: Do we really care what others think about her? UConn fans have their priorities on order.

Last edited:

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
VOD, don't hate. IMHO, ALL of the recipients of these awards EARNED them. There does not appear to be any bias shown here. A "fair" evaluator can look at these awards without bias or favoritism for a particular team/player. Sometimes there are other players that had a better season than any of yours.

Our girls are good (and I stand behind them 100%), but some of these players were better THIS year. I'm a HUGE UConn fan, but I'm also a realist. None of our girls eclipsed the year that any of these recipients had. Congratulations to ALL of the BIG EAST Conference awards recipients.

We'll get 'em next year. I fully expect BOTH of our incoming freshmen next year to win end-of-the-year conference awards. I think our Ayanna Patterson may be the front runner for the pre-season FOY. Hopefully BOTH will have a substantial impact on the season and our fortunes next year. :)
The coaches vote for the awards and they’re not allowed to vote for their own players.

Carnac

Reaction Score
I'm pretty sure Evina started too many games to be eligible for 6th player award.
I watched and followed conference play all season of ALL the teams. I have no problem with any of these awards. I think Paige and Azzi have an excellent chance to be the BE POY next year. It can't be YOUR year every year. Give the other players their due (props). :)

Reaction Score
U
First, congrats to all of the award winners. Second, Evina’s absence is conspicuous. She gets my vote as UConn’s MVP.

geordi

Patriotism is the last refuge of a scoundrel
Reaction Score
So, do I understand this right? Maddy Siegrist is the Big East Player of the Year, but she's not on the All Big East First Team? How does that happen?

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
The Big East First Team is actually 10 players strong with 5 more named to the Second Team. Christyn, Caroline, and Azzi were all unanimous selections as indicated by the asterisk after their names at the bottom of the article. @geordi

Reaction Score
If the voting was based on how players are playing at the time of the vote, Evina would have fared better. But, it’s not. Evina was a starter who all but disappeared for a stretch of time and lost her starting role. Recently, she has come off the bench to be a major contributor to the teams success. This is a case where she is deserving of team awards but not conference awards.

Reaction Score
All selection seem fair to me...the only issues I have are that IMO Morrow should have been as well POY and E 6th player...

Centerstream

Looking forward to next season
Reaction Score
So, do I understand this right? Maddy Siegrist is the Big East Player of the Year, but she's not on the All Big East First Team? How does that happen?
I believe she is a first team member just not listed because she is the POY.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
The full teams weren’t show on Twitter

BIG EAST Player of the Year
Maddy Siegrist, Villanova, Jr., F

BIG EAST Freshman of the Year
Aneesah Morrow, DePaul, Fr., F*

BIG EAST Coach of the Year
Denise Dillon, Villanova

BIG EAST Defensive Player of the Year
Nika Mühl, Connecticut, So., G

BIG EAST Co-Most Improved Players
Lauren Jensen, Creighton, So., G
Lior Garzon, Villanova, So., F

BIG EAST Sixth-Woman Award
Morgan Maly, Creighton, So., G/F

BIG EAST Sportsmanship Award
Chloe Marotta, Marquette, Sr., F

BIG EAST Scholar-Athlete of the Year^
Ayanna Townsend, Xavier, R-Jr., F

All-BIG EAST First Team
Olivia Nelson-Ododa, Connecticut, Sr., F
Christyn Williams, Connecticut, Sr., G*
Emma Ronsiek, Creighton, So., F
Sonya Morris, DePaul, Sr., G*
Lauren Van Kleunen, Marquette, Grad., F
Leilani Correa, St. John’s, Jr., G
Lauren Park-Lane, Seton Hall, Jr., G*
Sidney Cooks, Seton Hall, R-Sr., F/C
Maddy Siegrist, Villanova, Jr., F*

All-BIG EAST Second Team
Caroline Ducharme, Connecticut, Fr., G
Lexi Held, DePaul, Sr., G
Andra Espinoza-Hunter, Seton Hall, Grad., G/F

All-BIG EAST Honorable Mention
Deja Church, DePaul, Grad., G
Janai Crooms, Providence, Jr., G

BIG EAST All-Freshman Team
Caroline Ducharme, Connecticut, Fr., G*
Azzi Fudd, Connecticut, Fr., G*
Kylee Sheppard, Providence, Fr., G*
Lucy Olsen, Villanova, Fr., G*

*unanimous selection
^selected by the BIG EAST Academic Awards Selection Committee; announced on 3/2/22

Aluminny69

Old Timer
Reaction Score
She was a starter for most of the season. Maybe the voters took that into consideration. Who knows!! :confused:
They should only go by Big East games. There is a direct correclation between Evina coming off the bench, and UConn breezing through their Big East schedule.

Reaction Score
The full teams weren’t show on Twitter

BIG EAST Player of the Year
Maddy Siegrist, Villanova, Jr., F

BIG EAST Freshman of the Year

BIG EAST Coach of the Year
Denise Dillon, Villanova

BIG EAST Defensive Player of the Year
Nika Mühl, Connecticut, So., G

BIG EAST Co-Most Improved Players

BIG EAST Sixth-Woman Award
Morgan Maly, Creighton, So., G/F

BIG EAST Sportsmanship Award
Chloe Marotta, Marquette, Sr., F

BIG EAST Scholar-Athlete of the Year^
Ayanna Townsend, Xavier, R-Jr., F

All-BIG EAST First Team
Olivia Nelson-Ododa, Connecticut, Sr., F
Christyn Williams, Connecticut, Sr., G*
Emma Ronsiek, Creighton, So., F
Sonya Morris, DePaul, Sr., G*
Lauren Van Kleunen, Marquette, Grad., F
Leilani Correa, St. John’s, Jr., G
Lauren Park-Lane, Seton Hall, Jr., G*
Sidney Cooks, Seton Hall, R-Sr., F/C
Maddy Siegrist, Villanova, Jr., F*

All-BIG EAST Second Team
Caroline Ducharme, Connecticut, Fr., G
Lexi Held, DePaul, Sr., G
Andra Espinoza-Hunter, Seton Hall, Grad., G/F

All-BIG EAST Honorable Mention
Deja Church, DePaul, Grad., G
Janai Crooms, Providence, Jr., G

BIG EAST All-Freshman Team
Caroline Ducharme, Connecticut, Fr., G*
Azzi Fudd, Connecticut, Fr., G*
Kylee Sheppard, Providence, Fr., G*
Lucy Olsen, Villanova, Fr., G*

*unanimous selection
^selected by the BIG EAST Academic Awards Selection Committee; announced on 3/2/22
Looking at the first team, if you didn’t know what sport it was, I’d guess Softball.

MSGRET

MSG, US Army Retired
Reaction Score
I believe that she started more than 8 games, so that makes her ineligible for the award.

MSGRET

MSG, US Army Retired
Reaction Score
Isn't that an oxy moron? That's like saying the league MVP is not on the first team?!? If you're the DPY, you have to be included on the first team. We know who and what Nike is. We know how important she is to our program. We don't need anyone else's approval or validation for Nika. :mad: Do we really care what others think about her? MOST UConn fans have their priorities on order.
There I corrected for you, because there are/were a slew of them that don't think she deserves to start and should be the last player off the bench.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44