Big East TV Deal with FOX, TNT, and NBC | Page 23 | The Boneyard

Big East TV Deal with FOX, TNT, and NBC

Reaction Score
It's not a made up term. It was voted upon, and division 1 schools agreed to the designation. The Big East is not one of the Autonomy 5 conferences.
Can you provide me with the history of the Power 5 name?

Reaction Score
Can you provide me with the history of the Power 5 name?
Per Mike Aresco, it is a media-created term.

From his Open Letter on Power 5 - Group of 5 Branding:

"Power 5 is a media-created term".

"The compelling issue at hand is the manufactured P5 label and the attendant fallout that is damaging to college athletics. It is the corresponding media-driven P5 designation that has consigned over half of FBS football to a perceived second-class status".

"The media actually coined the term to replace the former Bowl Championship Series (BCS) description, and it often made little or no sense even during the last decade. The harmful divide that has developed can trace its roots to the advent of the BCS in 1998, which designated selected conferences as annual participants in BCS bowl games. The divide accelerated with the advent of the College Football Playoff, wherein the BCS label morphed into the media-invented P5. This divide did not exist in any meaningful way back in the College Football Association days of the 1980’s and 1990’s. No divisive nomenclature and arbitrary classification existed back then".

"Whenever a so-called non-P5 school wins the national championship in men’s basketball, as the American did in 2014, three national championships in women’s basketball, as the American did in 2014, 2015 and 2016, or makes the College Football Playoff, as the American did in 2021, or in addition makes (seven times) and wins (four times) a New Year’s Day Bowl game against a top ten team or makes the men’s Final Four and the Elite Eight and the Sweet Sixteen, how are those teams “non-power”? It is absurd, and proof that the power moniker makes no sense competitively. The fact that so-called P5 teams that have not achieved at that level are still deemed “power” teams is an absurdity on its face. Another absurdity involves realignment, where Group of Five teams instantly become Power Five teams simply by signing a piece of paper".

Reaction Score
What do you mean bring back football? Where are we bringing it? Do you want the BE to bring back football? Who else has a team other than Nova? More importantly Who is paying for a BE football tv deal? Or are you saying make bball independent and get our own tv deal but keep playing BE teams? That would be a hilariously bad idea but I’m clearly Very confused so I’ll reserve judgement
Bringing back football to respectable would be a good start .
A 7-8 win season in 2024 and I believe the emotional impart would be tremendous.

Reaction Score
The good thing about peacock and max is that (at the moment) they allow account sharing and concurrent streaming. And even if you get it for yourself, they both usually have deals throughout the year where you can get them for like $1 per month for multiple months or something like that. Sign up every Black Friday, get big east games for few dollars every year, then cancel after the seasons done.

Side note, Netflix is absolutely ridiculous with their pricing and non-account sharing. You pay $30 a month or whatever it is now, and have to jump through a bunch of hoops and hurdles to get it to work if you go back to your parents house for a few days and want to watch it. It’s so bad. I don’t think the general population realizes this or there would be more outrage, but the reason pricing is so high and keeps increasing is to subsidize costs for Indian customers and producing Indian content, which Netflix has made a huge part of their strategy.

Reaction Score

"The compelling issue at hand is the manufactured P5 label and the attendant fallout that is damaging to college athletics. It is the corresponding media-driven P5 designation that has consigned over half of FBS football to a perceived second-class status".

"The media actually coined the term to replace the former Bowl Championship Series (BCS) description, and it often made little or no sense even during the last decade. The harmful divide that has developed can trace its roots to the advent of the BCS in 1998, which designated selected conferences as annual participants in BCS bowl games. The divide accelerated with the advent of the College Football Playoff, wherein the BCS label morphed into the media-invented P5. This divide did not exist in any meaningful way back in the College Football Association days of the 1980’s and 1990’s. No divisive nomenclature and arbitrary classification existed back then".

"Whenever a so-called non-P5 school wins the national championship in men’s basketball, as the American did in 2014, three national championships in women’s basketball, as the American did in 2014, 2015 and 2016, or makes the College Football Playoff, as the American did in 2021, or in addition makes (seven times) and wins (four times) a New Year’s Day Bowl game against a top ten team or makes the men’s Final Four and the Elite Eight and the Sweet Sixteen, how are those teams “non-power”? It is absurd, and proof that the power moniker makes no sense competitively. The fact that so-called P5 teams that have not achieved at that level are still deemed “power” teams is an absurdity on its face. Another absurdity involves realignment, where Group of Five teams instantly become Power Five teams simply by signing a piece of paper".

Similar to Vals strongly worded letter. No one cares. The rest of D1 voted to give them the power or autonomy to basically do their own thing in terms of player benefits under the threat of them breaking apart from the NCAA.

Reaction Score
Similar to Vals strongly worded letter. No one cares. The rest of D1 voted to give them the power or autonomy to basically do their own thing in terms of player benefits under the threat of them breaking apart from the NCAA.
I can't figure out why they weren't called on that threat.

They would've been the ones who would be on the hook for all that money, not the schools left behind.

Reaction Score
I can't figure out why they weren't called on that threat.

They would've been the ones who would be on the hook for all that money, not the schools left behind.
Agreed, but that horse is out of the barn.

Reaction Score

Thank you, that's how I remember it. It's a made up term by the media. The media has been behind all the problems we see in college sports.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Yep. Basically football said we're keeping all our money but will stay in March madness and you can use that to fund all our Olympic sports championships.

An interesting thing to think about is what if this had gone the other way and football was used to fundal sports and March madness proceeds were shared among the participants of the tournament? in a lot of ways, that makes more sense, since the CFP is a larger pool of money and March madness benefits more schools since more schools participate. If that happened Connecticut fortunes would be entirely different, since we are the elite school of college basketball.

Oh well, hopefully FSU being greedy upsets the apple cart enough that we get a seat, if not at the big boy table, at least substantially closer to it.

Reaction Score
Yep. Basically football said we're keeping all our money but will stay in March madness and you can use that to fund all our Olympic sports championships.

An interesting thing to think about is what if this had gone the other way and football was used to fundal sports and March madness proceeds were shared among the participants of the tournament? in a lot of ways, that makes more sense, since the CFP is a larger pool of money and March madness benefits more schools since more schools participate. If that happened Connecticut fortunes would be entirely different, since we are the elite school of college basketball.

Oh well, hopefully FSU being greedy upsets the apple cart enough that we get a seat, if not at the big boy table, at least substantially closer to it.
They are only committed though for the next 10 years.

Or who knows, maybe even less if they decide they can pick up the tab the last couple of years if it makes more sense to them financially.

Reaction Score
Thank you, that's how I remember it. It's a made up term by the media. The media has been behind all the problems we see in college sports.
Right. The media decided to give those 5 conferences the ability to do what they want. The true term is Autonomy 5 and you can pretend it means nothing but the entire division 1 voted and gave them all the power. To pretend different is silly. If the rest of D1 tells them you are better than us, why wouldn't the media pay more for them?

Ackerman and the Big East are pulling in more in media payout than anyone outside the P5/4, without football. That should be applauded. Nova right now is going through what everyone thought would happen to UConn post Calhoun. Neptune better win this year or they need to move on. The rest of the Big East, Creighton made an elite 8, Marquette is solid under Shaka but sucked under the former Duke PG whose name escapes me. Would be nice to see some of these schools break through. Getting 3 teams into 1 Final Four is what really put the country on notice.

Best part of this deal is its only 6 years.

Reaction Score
Right. The media decided to give those 5 conferences the ability to do what they want. The true term is Autonomy 5 and you can pretend it means nothing but the entire division 1 voted and gave them all the power. To pretend different is silly. If the rest of D1 tells them you are better than us, why wouldn't the media pay more for them?

Ackerman and the Big East are pulling in more in media payout than anyone outside the P5/4, without football. That should be applauded. Nova right now is going through what everyone thought would happen to UConn post Calhoun. Neptune better win this year or they need to move on. The rest of the Big East, Creighton made an elite 8, Marquette is solid under Shaka but sucked under the former Duke PG whose name escapes me. Would be nice to see some of these schools break through. Getting 3 teams into 1 Final Four is what really put the country on notice.

Best part of this deal is its only 6 years.
It's okay to just admit you're wrong.

BullDawg

UGA Alum, U of South Florida Professor Emeritus
Reaction Score
i might be wrong about pcock cause the prem league games are usually early morning so i dont often watch live. apologies. i just know my wife has been watching track & field live on pcock and she says she cant rewind. maybe different events have different programming capabilities.
I‘m watching the live stream of the Tour de France on Peacock right now. The pause button works and I can back it up for the past 2 hours of coverage.

Reaction Score
It's a made up term for what's considered the elite football conferences. It has always been considered power 6 for basketball and now it's considered power 5 for basketball because the Pac 10 is dunzo.
This is clearly not the case when the committee is behind closed doors. The Big East carries little weight. If that is because Val and the old Butler guy are pushovers or if the P4 truly does have the power doesn't matter -- the perception is making it reality.

Reaction Score
This is clearly not the case when the committee is behind closed doors. The Big East carries little weight. If that is because Val and the old Butler guy are pushovers or if the P4 truly does have the power doesn't matter -- the perception is making it reality.
The public perception is the Big East is a Power conference in basketball. Everyone in media them a Power conference P6 (now P5) and they win national championships all the time.

I do agree they got screwed out of bids this year and Val is a lightweight. It's also a joke the old retiree from Butler was our representative.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
Not exactly. P-6, which Arresco invented as an attempt to tell the general public that the AAC was a legitimate equal to the P-5 was made up. P-5 however was the term that replaced BCS conferences once the BE (which was a BCS conference until the split) was no longer a football conference.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
It's also a joke the old retiree from Butler was our representative.
Could not agree more with this. I'd like to think if we had a guy in the room who gave two craps, we get another Big East team or two in the NCAAs. Keep in mind that additional teams mean additional NCAA tournament credits, which means additional money for the conference. Money that the conference desperately needs.

Reaction Score
Not exactly. P-6, which Arresco invented as an attempt to tell the general public that the AAC was a legitimate equal to the P-5 was made up. P-5 however was the term that replaced BCS conferences once the BE (which was a BCS conference until the split) was no longer a football conference.
I agree, obviously P6 was an Aresco creation to try and pump up the AAC which nobody cares about but Big East was still called P6 for basketball by the media the entire time UConn was in the AAC.

Reaction Score
The MW got 5 in and they’re hardly. P4
We had two more teams that not only should have been in but were capable of winning a game or two .
That is an extra $4- 8million plus there was some sort of media bonus clause
For a conference like the Big East or a G5 every dollar is crucial for survival .

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
I agree, obviously P6 was an Aresco creation to try and pump up the AAC which nobody cares about but Big East was still called P6 for basketball by the media the entire time UConn was in the AAC.
Media covering the BE called it P-6, everyone else used the term P-5.

I imagine it pisses off quite a few that while they've continually attempted to marginalize the conference, first Nova and now UConn have made that impossible by winning multiple titles. The thing is they are playing a long game and if the conference is basically required to win 50% of the titles to remain at an equal standing eventually they will fail.

Look at the narrative by the selection committee and talking heads this past tournament, the BE happened to gave the best team in the sport but was a mid major except for a few schools that happened to be very good.

Reaction Score
Didn't FSU and Clemson complain enough where the ACC had to divide revenue the right way - where you get rewarded more for performance? Everyone gets some slice of the pie but the UConns get more?
Of course I suppose the difference is the fear of FSU and Clemson leaving..:which they are trying like hell to do anyway.

Reaction Score
Media covering the BE called it P-6, everyone else used the term P-5.

I imagine it pisses off quite a few that while they've continually attempted to marginalize the conference, first Nova and now UConn have made that impossible by winning multiple titles. The thing is they are playing a long game and if the conference is basically required to win 50% of the titles to remain at an equal standing eventually they will fail.

Look at the narrative by the selection committee and talking heads this past tournament, the BE happened to gave the best team in the sport but was a mid major except for a few schools that happened to be very good.
P5, P4, P6, P100. None of that really matters. What matters is that schools in the official autonomy conferences make the rules and the other schools have the options of opting in if they like or making schools that don't even play FBS fb pay for their FBS players past and present. That is not made up by the media, that is reality. Upstater nailed it earlier.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
so1

Top Bottom