Big East TV Deal with FOX, TNT, and NBC | Page 21 | The Boneyard

Big East TV Deal with FOX, TNT, and NBC

kobe

Power Conference Enjoyer (Big 12)
Reaction Score
when the big 12 (power conference) deal was finalized they plastered the dollar amount all over the place.

why is val and co being so secretive? something tells me the number for the church leaguers is no bueno and she knows it!

drag race sips tea GIF by Shalita Grant

Reaction Score
when the big 12 (power conference) deal was finalized they plastered the dollar amount all over the place.

why is val and co being so secretive? something tells me the number for the church leaguers is no bueno and she knows it!

drag race sips tea GIF by Shalita Grant
I must have missed when the Big 12 plastered their 2024 national champion... Oh right they didn't have one

shizzle787

King Shizzle DCCLXXXVII of the Cesspool
Reaction Score
Around $80 million per year for 6 years. ~7.25 million per school.
Source:
Absolutely take that. That puts 2.5 million in the revenue sharing kitty without having to dip into current and allows us to pay the NCAA tax.

Reaction Score
Where else would they go? ESPNU/ESPN+? No thanks. ESPN proper doesnt have the bandwith for the Big East.

Sure they could make a boatload more money going to Apple TV or Peacock exlusive, but not have any games on National TV would be a death sentence for recruiting and fan support.
Apple seemingly passed. Best line of the Puck article @ end;

IMG_0898.jpeg

Reaction Score
No other to way to look at this other than a major win. Practically doubled the payout and getting more money than the best paid G5 leagues. Each school essentially getting the same amount as the A10 conference gets in total. Give Ackerman a raise.
It's really not that great but it's not absolutely horrible. Would have been nice to be closer to 10

Reaction Score
It's pretty awful. You weren't far off, I was way off.

Val needed to go a long time ago.
In the grand scheme, objectively, it's probably pretty good for the conference. Yes, it sucks for us, but it's outstanding for PC, Butler and Xavier. All enrollments around 6,000 and less.

In the A-10 you got huge schools like George Mason, VCU, George Washington, UMass making much less.

I suppose it could be Val's fault but I'm not sure anyone could have done much better.

Reaction Score
It's really not that great but it's not absolutely horrible. Would have been nice to be closer to 10
She almost doubled the current contract. I would bet her presidents are absolutely thrilled. Deluding ourselves into thinking the number floated here was attainable is not her fault. I include myself in that group, because like everyone else i want to believe.

Reaction Score
For what it's worth part of the paint touches article:
And if we’re being honest, in raw numbers, the bump up each school will get from this new deal will only amount to about $2M more a year than they got in 2023. So even though it doubles the value of the last contract, it isn’t doubling the current outlays.

All Big East teams will still be rowing upstream to try and keep up with the P4, and will require significant investment from both the university and big money donors. This doesn’t change that at all, other than provide a bigger buffer for the lean years.

The old deal was backloaded meaning last year's distribution was ~5M per school. The overall increase is fine, but not near what some hoped. The dollars were right in line with what was expected the prior year (at least citing the initial Paint Touches study) and simply short of some very optimistic projections that were made as people saw the number of providers involved. As it turns out, no single provider was willing to pay the full freight. The line in the puck article medic posted above more or less summarizes the situation, the Big East is nice to have, but not need to have, ultimately, outside of UConn there just aren't a lot of guaranteed (meaning even in bad years non-fans still tune in) television draws in the league.

That doesn't mean that UConn isn't still better off right now having made the move to the Big East/Independent than it would've been hoping to snag a spot in the Big XII. They are now making (slightly) more revenue per season (albeit with some debt and a similarly expensive exit clause) than they would've in the American, with significantly increased attendance across the board.

McLovin

Gangstas, what's up?
Reaction Score
you cant record/fast forward/pause/rewind live games but they’ll have them available for replay after the fact and you can fast forward/pause/rewind then
I actually don’t know if I’ve watched a sports game on Peacock but I know Amazon prime has a “start over / show me the highlights/ join live” feature when I turn on TNF late. So the tech is there, and if Peacock doesn’t already have that feature I’d assume they will soon.

The more annoying part about Peacock will not having them saved forever in my YouTube TV DVR (and idk how long they will keep replays available if we miss a game live).

Reaction Score
I actually don’t know if I’ve watched a sports game on Peacock but I know Amazon prime has a “start over / show me the highlights/ join live” feature when I turn on TNF late. So the tech is there, and if Peacock doesn’t already have that feature I’d assume they will soon.

The more annoying part about Peacock will not having them saved forever in my YouTube TV DVR (and idk how long they will keep replays available if we miss a game live).
i might be wrong about pcock cause the prem league games are usually early morning so i dont often watch live. apologies. i just know my wife has been watching track & field live on pcock and she says she cant rewind. maybe different events have different programming capabilities.

Reaction Score
She almost doubled the current contract. I would bet her presidents are absolutely thrilled. Deluding ourselves into thinking the number floated here was attainable is not her fault. I include myself in that group, because like everyone else i want to believe.
Every team in the Big East made at least 5 million last year. We're going to be making what next year $7.2 million and some change. The deal blows. Other conferences triple their money on their new contracts.

MJ1

Reaction Score
Every team in the Big East made at least 5 million last year. We're going to be making what next year $7.2 million and some change. The deal blows. Other conferences triple their money on their new contracts.
The other conference’s that tripled the money had Big time football. For a Basketball driven conference the Big East did okay. 8 million was the hope but 7.27 million is not bad for a non football power league. If UConn does not get the P4 invite the Big East is the next best option.

Reaction Score
You're just going to have to accept the Big East isn't that valuable. Nobody cares about DePaul, Butler or Seton Hall. Georgetown and Villanova sucking doesn't help either.

Reaction Score
We have the most successful basketball program of the last 25-years and the most incompetent FBS football program of the last 25-years simultaneously, right at the time where football has mattered more and more in the world of sports. Jump for a basketball-only, or full-member, invite to any P4 conference and sort the rest out later - football is a sinking ship that won't ever be anything so if you sacrifice it you sacrifice it

McLovin

Gangstas, what's up?
Reaction Score
i might be wrong about pcock cause the prem league games are usually early morning so i dont often watch live. apologies. i just know my wife has been watching track & field live on pcock and she says she cant rewind. maybe different events have different programming capabilities.
Woah no rewind is kind of crazy

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
so1

Top Bottom