Big East TV Deal with FOX, TNT, and NBC | Page 18 | The Boneyard

Big East TV Deal with FOX, TNT, and NBC

McLovin

Gangstas, what's up?
Reaction Score
The frustrating part is, if the deal is in the $7 million range, every school in the conference except UConn is going to be THRILLED with that.

It is going to be like 5X the next closest non-football playing conference (A10) and bigger than football playing leagues like the MWC or AAC.

That’s the problem UConn faces in the Big East. The entire conference has a completely different agenda (and financial lens) than us when it comes to everything besides trying to win on the court. Just the reality of our peers being private universities with no need to answer to anyone compared to us, a public university funded by tax payers with a magnifying glass on the “massive” AD losses.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
What do you mean by this? UConn or the Big East? The Big East by any metric is out performing the competition in terms of money for its product.
UConn. Our competition is not the G5 or low majors. So saying "golly we make more money than the G5 or low majors" is a meaningless statement.

Now, if you're saying the big East's peers is the G5 or low majors Then that's a damning statement and a strong argument in favor of our leaving the conference.

Of course the strong counter argument is that no one has invited us any place better.

Reaction Score
It is going to be like 5X the next closest non-football playing conference (A10) and bigger than football playing leagues like the MWC or AAC.
The anti-basketball people so they could justify the tantrum they would have when the actual numbers came out.
but we'll still be getting more than if we were in the AAC. that's a silver lining at least

CL82

Reaction Score
The frustrating part is, if the deal is in the $7 million range, every school in the conference except UConn is going to be THRILLED with that.

That’s the problem UConn faces in the Big East. The entire conference has a completely different agenda (and financial lens) than us when it comes to everything besides trying to win on the court. Just the reality of our peers being private universities with no need to answer to anyone compared to us, a public university funded by tax payers with a magnifying glass on the “massive” AD losses.
I agree somewhat but I think that you flipped the analysis. The small privates rely on their media money to support their athletic department. Connecticut, as a state school does not. So, in many ways, they should be more concerned about a lackluster media deal than us.

Reaction Score
I don’t know man. For basketball only 7-8M is pretty good, and as others have pointed out, without football that’s solid. It’s not like we can just leave the Big East and go elsewhere. We tried that, and the power conferences told us to kick rocks.

And I may be in the minority, but Big East hoops and our basketball program are the only thing holding me to college sports right now. It’s the only thing that feels right. College football is a joke, completely new rosters for hire every year, even our football team. Bowl games are dead, it’s just a garbage product.

We aren’t missing out on millions from ESPN, CBS because we never had it in the first place. I’m fine with where we’re at.
Everybody is out of control. What were the options?the American was death row. Our AG sued other conferences and individuals. We did not kiss flippers butt. The big wanted Rutgirls. The 12 did not want us. We will find out what is sustainable and what is not and if we need to go back to the Yankee conference, so be it

Reaction Score

Why would they be thrilled with that? They were making nearly $5 million per year on a deal from 2013 without UConn(the current premier basketball program in the country) and a league that many predicted wouldn't survive back then. The cost of doing business has gone up dramatically, there's way more viewing platforms than there used to be which is supposed to jack up the money tremendously because of competition for eyeballs and a need for content, TNT needs games now that they lost the NBA, people actually watch women's basketball now etc.

McLovin

Gangstas, what's up?
Reaction Score
I agree somewhat but I think that you flipped the analysis. The small privates rely on their media money to support their athletic department. Connecticut, as a state school does not. So, in many ways, they should be more concerned about a lackluster media deal than us.
Well, I think perspective is everything.

We view our peers (at an institutional level) as schools like Maryland, Virginia, Arizona State, etc.

The rest of the Big East views their peers as schools like St. Louis, St. Bonaventure, Belmont, Drake, etc.

Those schools probably get around $1M - $2M per year (and possibly less) from their media rights deals, and are able to make it work. The small private schools in the Big East getting 5X+ that amount must feel like royalty with a $7 million per year media contract. It’s leaps and bounds beyond their institutional peers.

Edit: @superjohn , this, above, is why they would be thrilled with $7 million. They are making a TON more than any other non-football league (leagues many of the current members came from a decade ago).

Reaction Score

We view our peers (at an institutional level) as schools like Maryland, Virginia, Arizona State, etc.

The rest of the Big East views their peers as schools like St. Louis, St. Bonaventure, Belmont, Drake, etc.

Those schools probably get around $1M - $2M per year from their media rights deals, and are able to make it work. The small private schools in the Big East getting 5X+ that amount must feel like royalty with a $7 million per year media contract. It’s leaps and bounds beyond their institutional peers.

Edit: @superjohn , this, above, is why they would be thrilled with $7 million. They are making a TON more than any other non-football league (leagues many of the current members came from a decade ago).
The Big East schools certainly don't view those schools as their peers.

McLovin

Gangstas, what's up?
Reaction Score
Not on the basketball court, of course, but I’m sure they do from an institutional level (aside from Nova and Georgetown, but they have massive endorsements as well).

Schools like Xavier and Creighton are much more like St. Louis or Dayton than they are to Ohio State or Purdue.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score

Those schools probably get around $1M - $2M per year (and possibly less) from their media rights deals, and are able to make it work. The small private schools in the Big East getting 5X+ that amount must feel like royalty with a $7 million per year media contract. It’s leaps and bounds beyond their institutional peers.

Arizona State?

Well, I don't think Seton Hall or St. John's is deluded enough to think they are the Ivies so who else?

Reaction Score
I don’t know man. For basketball only 7-8M is pretty good, and as others have pointed out, without football that’s solid. It’s not like we can just leave the Big East and go elsewhere. We tried that, and the power conferences told us to kick rocks.

And I may be in the minority, but Big East hoops and our basketball program are the only thing holding me to college sports right now. It’s the only thing that feels right. College football is a joke, completely new rosters for hire every year, even our football team. Bowl games are dead, it’s just a garbage product.

We aren’t missing out on millions from ESPN, CBS because we never had it in the first place. I’m fine with where we’re at.
Agreed we never had it in the first place. I just want other schools to suffer the same way we did a decade ago. Would love to see BCU and Syracuse have to live on 7M per year.

Reaction Score
UConn. Our competition is not the G5 or low majors. So saying "golly we make more money than the G5 or low majors" is a meaningless statement.

Now, if you're saying the big East's peers is the G5 or low majors Then that's a damning statement and a strong argument in favor of our leaving the conference.

Of course the strong counter argument is that no one has invited us any place better.
So you answered your own question. We are not in an ideally suited conference because we have no better place to go. To expect the Big East conference to deliver P5 money to UConn doesn't make sense to me. The answer is UConn has to find a better home for its athletics, but as you said no one has extended that invitation so here we are.

Reaction Score
Not on the basketball court, of course, but I’m sure they do from an institutional level (aside from Nova and Georgetown, but they have massive endorsements as well).

Schools like Xavier and Creighton are much more like St. Louis or Dayton than they are to Ohio State or Purdue.
Every Big East school is intrinsically linked to their basketball and the Big East. It's why people all over the country know Seton Hall, St. John's, Providence, Nova. It's why every school in the Big East has gone up in applicants since they've been in the Big East. Georgetown is a very good school Clinton went there, Scalia, a bunch of Senators, and business leaders but people know Georgetown around the country because of John Thompson, Patrick Ewing, Allen Iverson etc.

People around the country don't know those schools you named. You ask the average person they'll think you're talking about the rapper or store bought coffee cake if you bring up Drake. You bring up Belmont and they'll think you're talking about the horse race.

McLovin

Gangstas, what's up?
Reaction Score
Arizona State?

Well, I don't think Seton Hall or St. John's is deluded enough to think they are the Ivies so who else?
They have more palm trees, better weather and better parties, but from an institutional level, yes ASU (a Top 20 Public University and AAU member) is a school UConn benchmarks themselves against.

Reaction Score
What do you mean by this? UConn or the Big East? The Big East by any metric is out performing the competition in terms of money for its product.
By competition, you’re talking the likes of the A10 and the WAC, right? I thought the Big East was one of 5 “major” conferences, not a mid-major. But I guess it’s just the top mid-major.

To be fair, you’re right. This contract doesn’t suck for the Big East. It sucks for UConn having to be in the big east.

CL82

Reaction Score
So you answered your own question. We are not in an ideally suited conference because we have no better place to go. To expect the Big East conference to deliver P5 money to UConn doesn't make sense to me. The answer is UConn has to find a better home for its athletics, but as you said no one has extended that invitation so here we are.
Nobody expects the big east to deliver P4 money. On the other hand, it would be good to carve out a separate niche that distinguishes us from mid major conferences.

Reaction Score
We shouldn't expect Big 10 basketball to bring in three times the money Big East basketball brings in. We get it, the Big East doesn't have football but it's one of the 5 major basketball conferences and everyone knows they're excellence in the sport.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
We shouldn't expect Big 10 basketball to bring in three times the money Big East basketball brings in. We get it, the Big East doesn't have football but it's one of the 5 major basketball conferences and everyone knows they're excellence in the sport.

Why wouldn't you expect that? These Big 10 schools have hundreds of thousands of alumni addicted to their sports programs.

We have DePaul, Seton Hall and Butler.

Reaction Score
Why wouldn't you expect that? These Big 10 schools have hundreds of thousands of alumni addicted to their sports programs.

We have DePaul, Seton Hall and Butler.
Because the # of viewers doesn't add up.

Surely you know alumni doesn't tell the story in who watches and goes to games. UConn has way more non-alumni fans than alumni fans.

McLovin

Gangstas, what's up?
Reaction Score
Every Big East school is intrinsically linked to their basketball and the Big East. It's why people all over the country know Seton Hall, St. John's, Providence, Nova. It's why every school in the Big East has gone up in applicants since they've been in the Big East. Georgetown is a very good school Clinton went there, Scalia, a bunch of Senators, and business leaders but people know Georgetown around the country because of John Thompson, Patrick Ewing, Allen Iverson etc.

People around the country don't know those schools you named. You ask the average person they'll think you're talking about the rapper or store bought coffee cake if you bring up Drake. You bring up Belmont and they'll think you're talking about the horse race.
Sure, the Big East has a much better brand, athletically, I don’t deny that.

Ask the average American if they know what state Purdue or Clemson or Vanderbilt is in and they’ll probably be right. Ask them what state Seton Hall, Creighton or Xavier is in and I bet it’s just about as good of a hit rate as Drake or Belmont.

But that’s besides the point. From a financial stand point, when the Xavier administration is creating their 10 year growth plan, they aren’t benchmarking themselves against large public universities like Cincinnati or Ohio State, they are looking at peers like Dayton or St. Louis. Which is why $7million from a TV contract would thrill them, because that’s $7 million their D1 private Catholic peers don’t have to operate with.

Reaction Score
Major streaming service ups prices by 33 per cent

Peacock, the streaming arm of Comcast's NBCUniversal, has said it will raise prices in July ahead of the Olympics. The event airs exclusively on NBC and Peacock.

That is Peacock’s second price increase in the past year.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
so1

Top Bottom