Big East TV Deal with FOX, TNT, and NBC | Page 22 | The Boneyard

Big East TV Deal with FOX, TNT, and NBC

Reaction Score
She almost doubled the current contract. I would bet her presidents are absolutely thrilled. Deluding ourselves into thinking the number floated here was attainable is not her fault. I include myself in that group, because like everyone else i want to believe.
The problem I see with the dollar amount isn't going to be next year. The problem is that in 2029 $7.5 is going to feel like $4

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
The problem I see with the dollar amount isn't going to be next year. The problem is that in 2029 $7.5 is going to feel like $4

The 7.5M today isn't much different than the 3.5/4m was when the deal began.

I think if what @Friarsnoop noted above is true - the TNT portion of the deal will be linear than it's basically "acceptable". The BET on peacock still blows though.

Reaction Score
Sure. I get it. But you are what your record says it is or in this case what your deal is. She has them so far in front of non FBS conferences and now she basically has them at or above G5 conferences in terms of money. If they could have gotten more money i don't think CBS bows out of the running. If you took UConn out of the Big East right now, what are you selling? Nova is down pretty bad, after that you have Creighton and Marquette next tier down is Pitino and PC.

My UConn bias Outside the box thinking, bring back FB sell those rights separately and run it as separate division BB wise that plays crossover games against the current Big East.

Reaction Score
We have the most successful basketball program of the last 25-years and the most incompetent FBS football program of the last 25-years simultaneously, right at the time where football has mattered more and more in the world of sports. Jump for a basketball-only, or full-member, invite to any P4 conference and sort the rest out later - football is a sinking ship that won't ever be anything so if you sacrifice it you sacrifice it
Uh...we have to be invited first.

Reaction Score
My UConn bias Outside the box thinking, bring back FB sell those rights separately and run it as separate division BB wise that plays crossover games against the current Big East.
What do you mean bring back football? Where are we bringing it? Do you want the BE to bring back football? Who else has a team other than Nova? More importantly Who is paying for a BE football tv deal? Or are you saying make bball independent and get our own tv deal but keep playing BE teams? That would be a hilariously bad idea but I’m clearly Very confused so I’ll reserve judgement

Last edited:

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
The 7.5M today isn't much different than the 3.5/4m was when the deal began.

I think if what @Friarsnoop noted above is true - the TNT portion of the deal will be linear than it's basically "acceptable". The BET on peacock still blows though.
Acceptable would be the word. It is absolutely at the bottom of acceptable, but it's still acceptable... barely.

Reaction Score
Sure. I get it. But you are what your record says it is or in this case what your deal is. She has them so far in front of non FBS conferences and now she basically has them at or above G5 conferences in terms of money. If they could have gotten more money i don't think CBS bows out of the running. If you took UConn out of the Big East right now, what are you selling? Nova is down pretty bad, after that you have Creighton and Marquette next tier down is Pitino and PC.

Being at or above G5 football conferences really doesnt mean much anymore. All of that product is trash. There's no one left in the G5 worth watching outside a handful of teams.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
That's just how everything is moving towards. If NFL playoff games can be peacock exclusive, then there's nothing that can't be streaming exclusive.

You're not wrong at all. Less of a commentary on the BE and more about sports broadcasting in general.

Reaction Score
I really don't care about the dollar amount because if we are still in this situation in 2029, that's a problem. A really big problem. There is no way UConn Football is playing as an independent for the next 6 years. Not unless something so remarkable happens that UConn becomes a bigger destination than ND. Something has to give over the next 2 years or they'll have to do something drastic, like shut football down.

Reaction Score

You're selling the same thing you were selling in 2013 but with the best basketball program in the country and a better stable of coaches. I don't know why people keep bringing up the A10 and terrible football conferences. The Big East is a power conference in basketball and one of the best basketball conferences year in and year out. These schools aren't little sisters of the poor (kobe) you can tell that from their NIL.

Reaction Score
You're selling the same thing you were selling in 2013 but with the best basketball program in the country and a better stable of coaches. I don't know why people keep bringing up the A10 and terrible football conferences. The Big East is a power conference in basketball and one of the best basketball conferences year in and year out. These schools aren't little sisters of the poor (kobe) you can tell that from their NIL.
From an RPI ranking standpoint, #6 Big East was closer to #8 Atlantic 10 that it was to #1 Big 12. I know it's just one year but that's the game.

I sent you a message but I don't know if I did it correctly.

Reaction Score
That's just how everything is moving towards. If NFL playoff games can be peacock exclusive, then there's nothing that can't be streaming exclusive.
But the NFL is making a lot of money for that move. The Big East sold those right for very little -- and theoretically are changing their fans $8/month to see those games to make that very little.

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score
I think you have to accept most people view the Big East closer to the A10 than the P3 as a commodity. The product can be great, but the money tells the story.

Reaction Score
Yes and no. There is a Power (Autonomous) 5/4 and there is everyone else. The Big East is getting paid the best of everyone else.

MJ1

Reaction Score
I think you have to accept most people view the Big East closer to the A10 than the P3 as a commodity. The product can be great, but the money tells the story.
Most people who know college basketball view the Big East as a power conference in basketball, even ESPN sportscenter anchors consider the Big East a power conference in Basketball. No one considers the A10 a power conference, they are a mid major.

Reaction Score
Being at or above G5 football conferences really doesnt mean much anymore. All of that product is trash. There's no one left in the G5 worth watching outside a handful of teams.
Nah. MWC plays solid football. Sun Belt plays solid fb. G5 is gonna get a team in the CFB playoff.

Reaction Score
Most people who know college basketball view the Big East as a power conference in basketball, even ESPN sportscenter anchors consider the Big East a power conference in Basketball. No one considers the A10 a power conference, they are a mid major.
The Big East is not a mid major, but power conference is an official designation. High major is what the Big East. Nothing wrong with that.

Reaction Score
The Big East is not a mid major, but power conference is an official designation. High major is what the Big East. Nothing wrong with that.
It's a made up term for what's considered the elite football conferences. It has always been considered power 6 for basketball and now it's considered power 5 for basketball because the Pac 10 is dunzo.

Reaction Score
Nah. MWC plays solid football. Sun Belt plays solid fb. G5 is gonna get a team in the CFB playoff.
Playing solid football doesn't mean there's any interest in watching it.

An interesting comparison would be the UFL. They get $20m/yr and averaged 650,000 viewers per game. How did they get that much money?

Reaction Score
It's a made up term for what's considered the elite football conferences. It has always been considered power 6 for basketball and now it's considered power 5 for basketball because the Pac 10 is dunzo.
It's not a made up term. It was voted upon, and division 1 schools agreed to the designation. The Big East is not one of the Autonomy 5 conferences.

Reaction Score
Playing solid football doesn't mean there's any interest in watching it.

An interesting comparison would be the UFL. They get $20m/yr and averaged 650,000 viewers per game. How did they get that much money?
Same could be said for a Seton Hall Butler game in January, yet people do watch both products, even if only fans of the programs involved.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NYCVET

Top Bottom