Big East TV Deal with FOX, TNT, and NBC | Page 24 | The Boneyard

Big East TV Deal with FOX, TNT, and NBC

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Media covering the BE called it P-6, everyone else used the term P-5.

I imagine it pisses off quite a few that while they've continually attempted to marginalize the conference, first Nova and now UConn have made that impossible by winning multiple titles. The thing is they are playing a long game and if the conference is basically required to win 50% of the titles to remain at an equal standing eventually they will fail.

Look at the narrative by the selection committee and talking heads this past tournament, the BE happened to gave the best team in the sport but was a mid major except for a few schools that happened to be very good.
All they need to do is give us a P4 slot and the big east is marginalized. I'm just saying.

Reaction Score
Media covering the BE called it P-6, everyone else used the term P-5.

I imagine it pisses off quite a few that while they've continually attempted to marginalize the conference, first Nova and now UConn have made that impossible by winning multiple titles. The thing is they are playing a long game and if the conference is basically required to win 50% of the titles to remain at an equal standing eventually they will fail.

Look at the narrative by the selection committee and talking heads this past tournament, the BE happened to gave the best team in the sport but was a mid major except for a few schools that happened to be very good.
I just don't remember it that way. I remember Bilas and the ESPN guys always calling the Big East P6/power conference for basketball.
This was also the first year I felt like the Big East got screwed by the committee. When UConn was out of the league Nova was racking up #1 and #2 seeds, the Big East was getting a bunch of teams in the tournament year in year out, Nova and Xavier were both #1 seeds in 2018. The Covid canceled tournament Big East was going to get very high seeds and a bunch of teams in.

MJ1

Reaction Score
All they need to do is give us a P4 slot and the big east is marginalized. I'm just saying.
Keep begging, it hasn’t helped yet. No worries that P4 is coming with a watered down ACC invite when the power football schools leave the ACC.

CL82

Reaction Score
Keep begging, it hasn’t helped yet. No worries that P4 is coming with a watered down ACC invite when the power football schools leave the ACC.
Lol, apparently you seem to think making a post on The Boneyard has far more real world impact than I do.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
No begging. Just hoping. From where I stand it’s a smaller miracle than winning back to back championships plus four others in twenty five years. Especially if you recall those first years after joining the BE.

Reaction Score
The MW .... they’re hardly. P4
We had two more teams that not only should have been in but were capable of winning a game or two .
That is an extra $4- 8million plus there was some sort of media bonus clause
For a conference like the Big East or a G5 every dollar is crucial for survival .
"Recent article regarding them vs. the Big East, also lists P-4 per school....(TV deals in the new Power 4 with the Big Ten ($60.5 million per school), SEC ($51.3 million each), ACC ($44.8 million each) and Big 12 ($44.2 million each)

"The MW's six-year agreement with CBS and Fox runs through 2025-26. The MW's current television deal is worth $270 million over those six years with non-Boise State schools getting roughly $3.5 million per year and the Broncos getting an additional $1.8 million bonus annually. "

Reaction Score
The 7.5M today isn't much different than the 3.5/4m was when the deal began.

I think if what @Friarsnoop noted above is true - the TNT portion of the deal will be linear than it's basically "acceptable". The BET on peacock still blows though.
It is true. Max and TNT are under the same ownership and they are just simulcasting TNT games.

Reaction Score
"Recent article regarding them vs. the Big East, also lists P-4 per school....(TV deals in the new Power 4 with the Big Ten ($60.5 million per school), SEC ($51.3 million each), ACC ($44.8 million each) and Big 12 ($44.2 million each)

"The MW's six-year agreement with CBS and Fox runs through 2025-26. The MW's current television deal is worth $270 million over those six years with non-Boise State schools getting roughly $3.5 million per year and the Broncos getting an additional $1.8 million bonus annually. "
Wow if Boise makes that much more UConn deserves the same treatment

Reaction Score
Can you provide me with the history of the Power 5 name?
The "Power 5" term came from when the BCS were the Power 6. ESPN wrote a story of how the then Texas AD DeLoss Dodds and the ACC commissioner would use the term Power 5 to denigrate the Big East football conference after Virginia Tech and Miami left. When the ACC was courting Pitt and Syracuse (while the Pitt president was "negotiating" with ESPN on behalf of the Big East), they told the schools that they were going to cut the Big East out of the next football deal.

Reaction Score
Wow if Boise makes that much more UConn deserves the same treatment
Especially since the Big East thinks Uconn is more valuable when they set the high end exit, ;). But I guess the bright side is it drops in 2 more years....

"If Connecticut opts to leave, in the first six years...they will owe the Big East — and this is not a typo — $30 million. Yes, that’s right, nearly 10 times the payment that they’re making to join the league. For six years, if Connecticut finds something (else).. the Big East will extract a punitive price, even if the lawyers get involved and negotiate it down. For years seven through 10, the exit fee drops to “only” $15 million. After that, it drops to $10 million "

Reaction Score
I‘m watching the live stream of the Tour de France on Peacock right now. The pause button works and I can back it up for the past 2 hours of coverage.
wife watching track & field qualifying on Peacock again and i just confirmed you cannot pause/rewind so it must vary by event. Hopefully we have that capability for bball games.

BullDawg

UGA Alum, U of South Florida Professor Emeritus
Reaction Score
wife watching track & field qualifying on Peacock again and i just confirmed you cannot pause/rewind so it must vary by event. Hopefully we have that capability for bball games.
It may depend on how you’re watching it. I’m going though ROKU and I am looking at the Track and Field on Peacock right now. I can pause and go back as well.

Reaction Score
It may depend on how you’re watching it. I’m going though ROKU and I am looking at the Track and Field on Peacock right now. I can pause and go back as well.
I’m watching thru the app on a smart tv

Reaction Score

Good read
But what caught my interest was the MW transfer portal
Air Force Academy just lost six guys in the portal and school rules don’t allow them transfers in for obvious reasons.
I suppose they will be replaced with freshman or whatever they call first year people.
With how difficult it is to get into the Air Force Academy I can’t imagine losing six kids who were serious about a the Air Force . Unless naive me didn’t realize that are people going there just to play sports and not a military career .
When they start just picking up players for our service academies , not cadets looking for a military career we know we have jumped the shark.

Reaction Score
Good read
But what caught my interest was the MW transfer portal
Air Force Academy just lost six guys in the portal and school rules don’t allow them transfers in for obvious reasons.
I suppose they will be replaced with freshman or whatever they call first year people.
With how difficult it is to get into the Air Force Academy I can’t imagine losing six kids who were serious about a the Air Force . Unless naive me didn’t realize that are people going there just to play sports and not a military career .
When they start just picking up players for our service academies , not cadets looking for a military career we know we have jumped the shark.
I'm pretty sure kids can leave the academy after a year or two without having to join the military. You just have to pay back the cost of school. It's not uncommon for kids to leave when the reality of what they signed up for starts to kick in.

CL82

Reaction Score
I'm pretty sure kids can leave the academy after a year or two without having to join the military. You just have to pay back the cost of school. It's not uncommon for kids to leave when the reality of what they signed up for starts to kick in.
Really? I know quite a few people who attended West Point and Annapolis and I've never heard of that happening.

Reaction Score
Boise is in a football conference. Why is this so hard for many to figure out?
He's talking about the bonus that Boise gets. According to the article,
Boise gets $1.8 million more than the other schools.

"The MW's current television deal is worth $270 million over those six years with non-Boise State schools getting roughly $3.5 million per year and the Broncos getting an additional $1.8 million bonus annually

Reaction Score
Really? I know quite a few people who attended West Point and Annapolis and I've never heard of that happening.
They can withdraw before their junior year w/o penalty.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
so1

Top Bottom