Big East TV Deal with FOX, TNT, and NBC | Page 26 | The Boneyard

Big East TV Deal with FOX, TNT, and NBC

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
If the $4 million starting point is some required baseline or breakeven point I can see using it but if this were presented to me, my first question would be "how did you arrive at $4 million?".

In my opinion a more important question would be "how much of this is media revenues, how much is distribution of tournament credits and what else goes into these numbers?".

Samoo

Providence-Newark-San Antonio
Reaction Score
Anyone with half a brain cell knows how to read a chart. It's not misleading anyone and is exactly how the info should be displayed
Um, no. All the info/data should be displayed, including the missing $4 million on the bottom of each bar. Shouldn't rely on an author with possible biases to decide where to cut off the data/information.

Reaction Score
BE already has unequal revenue share regarding NCAA units. As for TV revenue, pretty sure that Boise gets a bonus in exchange for a heavy penalty if they were to leave which IMO would be counter productive for us in our quest for a P4 place.a
Everyone in the MW is subject to the crazy $35,000:000 exit fee.
that‘s almost 10 times what each team makes in their media deal but that has nothing to do with their contract which is up next year.
In that contract every team was asked to give some to Boise in order to sign the new contract back in 2013

Reaction Score
Um, no. All the info/data should be displayed, including the missing $4 million on the bottom of each bar. Shouldn't rely on an author with possible biases to decide where to cut off the data/information.
But there's no bias if you read the labels, which is the first thing you should do when reading a graph. This is like 1st grade level knowledge

Reaction Score
But there's no bias if you read the labels, which is the first thing you should do when reading a graph. This is like 1st grade level knowledge
And marketing is like high school and college level material, so it does in fact help to go to college after all. The general population is what it is.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
They can withdraw before their junior year w/o penalty.
Talked with some friend of mine about this and he said that about 30% withdraw. One friend of his withdrew within weeks of graduation. Which can be done with the permission of the superintendent.

Reaction Score
Everyone in the MW is subject to the crazy $35,000:000 exit fee.
Not if a football-stronger majority of MW schools vote to disband. Don’t see it happening, but some suggest the possibility of a newly formed conference together with Pac2 and some stronger AAC schools.

Reaction Score
LOL, we just signed a media deal for 25% Less than most expected with a bunch of games going to streaming and everyone says it’s great then argues over a graph. Gotta love the Yard.

Reaction Score
So basically you're too dumb to read a simple chart. Cool, moving on.
Wow, what a mean-spirited reply. In addition, you appear wrong … this person clearly understands the data, but feels it is not properly being displayed.

To me, this data may or may not be properly displayed, based on what information the original author is trying to convey.

- if the intent is to simply show different $ distribution values, the chart is fine as is.

- if the intent is to explore relative equality of $ distribution (which I think WE are all discussing here), then the vertical axis clearly should go down to zero. The best way I would try to explain that to 7774 is … if we removed any $ values from the existing chart, it would incorrectly appear that UConn makes 4 times as much as DePaul.

Reaction Score
Paint Touches did an additional article on the deal. Once again showing that the deal is good for any BE school that is not burdened by massive football budgets.

How does the the Big East TV contract compare to other power conferences?

image-7.png

pj

Reaction Score
Paint Touches did an additional article on the deal. Once again showing that the deal is good for any BE school that is not burdened by massive football budgets.

image-7.png

That shows it's a competitive deal if football is 85% of value and all other sports combined 15% of value. [The conference contract is for all sports, so the "CBB Cut" heading is misleading: the table ascribes 100% of the value of the BE contract to "CBB Cut". The table is only consistent between the BE and other conferences if the "CBB Cut" column is the value of everything other than football.]

But if you think 6 football games per year is worth less than 85% of major conference media value, then the BE got a poor deal.

And since the major conference revenue comes in significant part from dedicated cable networks that need round the clock content, I don't see how you can argue that 18 hours of football content per school delivers 85% of the value of a network that airs 8760 hours per year.

Reaction Score
That shows it's a competitive deal if football is 85% of value and all other sports combined 15% of value. [The conference contract is for all sports, so the "CBB Cut" heading is misleading: the table ascribes 100% of the value of the BE contract to "CBB Cut". The table is only consistent between the BE and other conferences if the "CBB Cut" column is the value of everything other than football.]

But if you think 6 football games per year is worth less than 85% of major conference media value, then the BE got a poor deal.

And since the major conference revenue comes in significant part from dedicated cable networks that need round the clock content, I don't see how you can argue that 18 hours of football content per school delivers 85% of the value of a network that airs 8760 hours per year.
There is no material value in anything else. If you go online during a UConn baseball game, there are never more than 200 people listening and most of the time it’s well under 100. You’re looking for an argument that is theoretically valid and in actuality meaningless. (Hey, I’m the lawyer, I should be the one doing that!)

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score

image-7.png

I like Paint Touches and generally think the work is pretty fair and accurate but the idea that Duke and UNC are only making $2.4M on the hoop contract and DePaul and Butler are making $7M is ridiculous.

You can't just apply a % like that and extrapolate it across different leagues and different contracts.

Reaction Score

I think the consensus is that football is 80-85% of the value of a media deal. Most attribute the rest to being basketball (mens and womens) as they're the only other positive ROI sport for almost every school. You can get more granular I'm sure, but the numbers would probably be a pretty low percent of the total for any other sport.

Reaction Score
I like Paint Touches and generally think the work is pretty fair and accurate but the idea that Duke and UNC are only making $2.4M on the hoop contract and DePaul and Butler are making $7M is ridiculous.

You can't just apply a % like that and extrapolate it across different leagues and different contracts.

That's fair, and I think they touch on that themselves and admit it's a pretty broad brush. That being said, a major point to note here is that the ACC deal really is indeed that bad.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
I think the consensus is that football is 80-85% of the value of a media deal. Most attribute the rest to being basketball (mens and womens) as they're the only other positive ROI sport for almost every school. You can get more granular I'm sure, but the numbers would probably be a pretty low percent of the total for any other sport.
Yeah, but in reality SEC football is likely a greater percentage of their total media deal than the ACC. If someone were to claim for example that based on value, the (football & basketball only) SEC media contract 88% football, 12% basketball whe the ACC is 79% football, 21% basketball, I'm not sure many would claim those percentages are off by a material amount.

Reaction Score
If you look at Notre Dame’s ACC deal and their new NBC deal which is about 67 million, close to BIG 10 and SEC money, it gives you some sense of how this works. According to an analysis I read, they attribute $12 million to football and $5 to basketball, roughly a 70-30 split, but when you look at the overall payment football brings in $62 million of the $67 million ($50 million from NBC is all football. That leaves only 7.5% for basketball. Those are probably realistic ranges depending on the league and maybe even how the individual school allocated income. I would expect that the ACC earns a higher percentage for basketball while the SEC gets less.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
so1

Top Bottom