Big East TV Deal with FOX, TNT, and NBC | Page 25 | The Boneyard

Big East TV Deal with FOX, TNT, and NBC

Reaction Score
Good read
But what caught my interest was the MW transfer portal
Air Force Academy just lost six guys in the portal and school rules don’t allow them transfers in for obvious reasons.
I suppose they will be replaced with freshman or whatever they call first year people.
With how difficult it is to get into the Air Force Academy I can’t imagine losing six kids who were serious about a the Air Force . Unless naive me didn’t realize that are people going there just to play sports and not a military career .
When they start just picking up players for our service academies , not cadets looking for a military career we know we have jumped the shark.
Not sure on all the details but the military academies, seems to have no limits on annual commits they can bring in to work up to the varsity squad, for attrition, etc........Army seems to have 90+ in most years

Reaction Score
Don’t know the current rules but it used to be you had a choice. If you got accepted at another school through your 2nd year you could just transfer. If you just wanted to leave or left once year 3 began, you had to go into the Air Force. Though in the War years and into the 1950s guys could play at the Service Academies after finishing playing in college.

Reaction Score
This is a 11 member basketball only conference. I don’t think the Big12 Sec or Acc would have done much better with just their basketball rights.
But it is possible Acc or Big12 see more value in basketball now . Easy to sell Duke vs UConn. North Carolina vs UConn. Or Kansas vs UConn to the tv stations.

Also BE should have some merit based payments. DePaul does not deserve as much as Uconn in any universe.

Reaction Score
But Boise makes 1.8 million more than the other MWC teams for some reason. The poster was saying we should similarly get a larger share than the other BE teams
Media deals are the same regardless of whether it’s football or basketball and distribution is a conference decision .
The MW gave Boise more to prevent them and SDSU from going to the AAC years ago when they were a mini power.
Gonzaga has a special NCAA credit deal with their conference where they get all the money they earn after the first round to keep them from going to the MW.
Looking at their recent history that’s a pile of cash.
if you look at the chart of media contribution by school apparently the Big East also have an imbalanced plan but the details are tough to find. With the same deal as Gonzaga we would get $16,000,000 more than DePaul and under normal circumstances could have grown until we were stabbed in the back by the NCAA.

Reaction Score
Also BE should have some merit based payments. DePaul does not deserve as much as Uconn in any universe.
BE already has unequal revenue share regarding NCAA units. As for TV revenue, pretty sure that Boise gets a bonus in exchange for a heavy penalty if they were to leave which IMO would be counter productive for us in our quest for a P4 place.

zls44

Your #icebus Tour Director
Reaction Score
Classic “you should read the article” here for everyone who is yelling about unequal revenue distribution when it’s right there in the Paint Touches piece.

IMG_4846.jpeg

Samoo

Providence-Newark-San Antonio
Reaction Score
Classic “you should read the article” here for everyone who is yelling about unequal revenue distribution when it’s right there in the Paint Touches piece.

View attachment 102039
They left out the bottom $4 million, which would show that the distribution is much more equal than it appears on this graph. Lies, white lies and statistics...

Reaction Score
So what happened to the $10 million/team we were getting? We are getting a decent increase but moving games to Peacock and apparently losing CBS The NEWBIE does an unequal distribution based on NCAA tournament results but not the media deal.

Reaction Score
They left out the bottom $4 million, which would show that the distribution is much more equal than it appears on this graph. Lies, white lies and statistics...
I laughed so hard that this. I'd love to know how the distribution is different showing the bottom $4 mil.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score

View attachment 102039

What is driving the unequal distribution? Tourney credits? I thought those were paid out in future years for games won in a given calendar year?

Reaction Score
Simple. The graph visually makes it appear UConn makes more than 4x DePaul. Including the bottom $4 million would illustrate the true payout relationships.
Exactly, we're not even getting more than $2M more the DePaul. The chart is totally misleading.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
Exactly, we're not even getting more than $2M more the DePaul. The chart is totally misleading.
Didn’t mislead me. But I went to graph reading school. So there is that.

Reaction Score
No it doesn't. The graph visually makes it look like Depaul makes $4.6M and we make $6.4M.
Seriously? The whole point of a graph is to visually represent data. When you look a the graph, the first thing you see is the relationship of the bars and the visual relationship makes it look like UConn makes 4x as much as DePaul. You know people will look at the bars without scrutinizing the labels whether or not you think that is smart. The author relies on this and this practice is well known (truncated graph).

Here, misleading graph

Reaction Score
Whoever made that chart was either trying to mislead people or has now idea how to properly show statistics.
Anyone with half a brain cell knows how to read a chart. It's not misleading anyone and is exactly how the info should be displayed

Reaction Score
The bar graph can be misleading, but would only mislead someone who thinks you can look at a graph and not make sure you understand what it is showing and how it is showing it. Which would make it on the reader as much as the graphmaker.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
so1

Top Bottom