Big East Comings and Goings | Page 9 | The Boneyard

Big East Comings and Goings

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I mean if you have to go 13 deep then its probably not a good roster. But I get your sentiment for sure.

Reaction Score
So this whole "the difference between Providence and UConn is that at PC kids don't leave because it's a family environment" lasted, what, 72 hours?
Nah in this case Goodine was just never going to play and they probably wanted his scholarship back.

Reaction Score
So this whole "the difference between Providence and UConn is that at PC kids don't leave because it's a family environment" lasted, what, 72 hours?
Friar's lectures on this subject were enlightening. I think they've only had 4 players transfer out of PC in the past year, same as UConn.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
In all seriousness, I have had a recurring mental image of him in a black Providence uniform since the day he entered the portal. No idea why, but I literally "see" him as a Friar.

Reaction Score
In all seriousness, I have had a recurring mental image of him in a black Providence uniform since the day he entered the portal. No idea why, but I literally "see" him as a Friar.
I think your instincts/intuition are on the money.. Dad sat the Uncle down and explained to him how things are goin' down going forward.

Reaction Score
I mean I think PC has done well, don’t get me wrong. But there is quite a few of Friar Nation booking Final Four tickets already while I keep asking who their wings are.

Reaction Score
Feel like it’s hard to sell Floyd on minutes if he’s competing with 6 others guys after he left UConn with basically no back court

Reaction Score
This year PC did well with 7 transfers on the roster, 5 who were major contributors. Cooley did a great job of making it work in 2021/2022, but is this a sustainable model for consistent winning? I think all of us are wrestling with what the transfer portal means going forward, but I think you have to build the core of your team through high school recruits and fill in the holes through the portal.

Reaction Score
This year PC did well with 7 transfers on the roster, 5 who were major contributors. Cooley did a great job of making it work in 2021/2022, but is this a sustainable model for consistent winning? I think all of us are wrestling with what the transfer portal means going forward, but I think you have to build the core of your team through high school recruits and fill in the holes through the portal.
It all depends what your base is. For PC it is really just Bynum so they had to use the new found energy the program has behind the Cooley coach of the year to quick fix and for the most part they have built a competitive roster. Locke and Moore are need filling older players. Carter and from the looks of it, Hopkins and Floyd are the younger types with multiple years of eligibility.

The point you make is great tho because without those linchpin program pieces (i.e. Sanogo, Jackson, Hawkins) you need to completely hit a home run with the transfer portal

Ultimately Cooleys long term path is getting top 100 recruits in the door consistently. They seem to sniff around them but never get them. In the world of NIL being coty doesnt hold the weight it used to.

Reaction Score
So I may have missed something but at this point providence has added three transfers ? Locke, Carter and some forward from A-10? They also lost most of the team from last year, am I missing any big added

Reaction Score
So I may have missed something but at this point providence has added three transfers ? Locke, Carter and some forward from A-10? They also lost most of the team from last year, am I missing any big added
Not officially no but seems line Bryce Hopkins from UK and Floyd are next to sign there. Its a system there tho. Sure Durham and Watson were good players but not irreplaceable. The thing they lost that is going to be missed the most is the stretch 4 in Horchler and the lockdown defense of Minaya. Seems they are going to want to play with smaller guards and bigs and not sure that composition will work in this coming years Big East but we shall see.

Reaction Score
Big East is going to be a MOVIE next season. Every team has some sort of storyline making them exciting right now

Creighton - Uconn still hasn't beaten them and they bring back a loaded roster, likely a top 15 preseason team
Providence - 15 years ago the providence game was a 'meh' game in the big east taking a back seat to Syracuse, Pitt, Georgetown, etc., but the way last season went, their fan base talking , being a drivable road game, reigning coach of the year, akok and floyd both considering it...this game might be the easiest one of the season to get up for
Villanova - Perenial top dog of the new big east
Seton hall - Hello Holloway! They're already doing pretty well but adding a young Jersey Elite 8 coach is going to 'worst case' help their recruiting, 'best case' this program is on the rise bigtime
Xavier - Sean Miller is BACK! Should be a lot of fun
Butler - Thad Matta, Jon Diebler, Greg Oden, JV Ohio St is going to play hard, even if they are a few years away they will play hard
St. Johns - If somehow, someway Posh DOESNT end up transferring to UConn, that backcourt is going to be so fun to watch with Curbelllo, and even more fun to BEAT
Georgetown - Patrick Ewing is still the coach??? Akok considering? Georgetown will always be a fun old school big east matchup but if they could find a way to win a game, maybe two would be nice to have the old rivalry back
Marquette - Shaka has the boys playing some decent ball. Never an easy game
DePaul - well....depaul's still depaul, but like that's part of the whole storyline, THEY'RE DEPAUL!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NYCVET

Top Bottom