Big East Comings and Goings | Page 11 | The Boneyard

Big East Comings and Goings

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score

I believe he was a redshirt last year but I could be very wrong i’m not entirely sure

Reaction Score
That is a strange D-rating. Did the whole team suck defensively?
No they were pretty average. I think part of what is going on is he had a terribly low defensive rebound rate, especially for his height. Partially because his teammate was an excellent rebounder. Didn't get really any steals or blocks either. He's probably a better defender than the number, but still not impactful at all.

olehead

Atomic Dogs!
Reaction Score
Jones to the Johnnie's seems pretty certain but I wouldn't mind having him here. I like how he seems to be in constant attack mode.

Reaction Score
Jones to the Johnnie's seems pretty certain but I wouldn't mind having him here. I like how he seems to be in constant attack mode.
Jones from DePaul?

In other news, last night, Georgetown's Tyler Beard committed to Pacific.

After Damon Stoudamire coached at Pacific for six seasons, new coach Leonard Perry had to rebuild on the fly, including adding Greg Outlaw from CCSU, who had an efficient season last year in just 13 games (5.8 ppg, 45.6 fg%, 8-16 from three).

My guess is Beard will have an opportunity to immediately be their starting PG.

olehead

Atomic Dogs!
Reaction Score
Jones from DePaul?

In other news, last night, Georgetown's Tyler Beard committed to Pacific.

After Damon Stoudamire coached at Pacific for six seasons, new coach Leonard Perry had to rebuild on the fly, including adding Greg Outlaw from CCSU, who had an efficient season last year in just 13 games (5.8 ppg, 45.6 fg%, 8-16 from three).

My guess is Beard will have an opportunity to immediately be their starting PG.
Yep, Jones from DePaul.

Reaction Score

Hopkins, a 6-foot-6 forward, was ranked No. 33 in the ESPN 100 for the 2021 class.

Hurley getting LAPPED out in the portal by Cooley. Not good.

Explain because I think Newton and Alleyne were the highest ranked Transfers of the 6 who chose Providence or CT? Sometimes being high ranked in 2021 doesn’t mean much in 2022 and beyond

Reaction Score
Hopkins, a 6-foot-6 forward, was ranked No. 33 in the ESPN 100 for the 2021 class.

dude. assuming moore is their starting C and croswell is the backup, i don't think PC has another F on the roster....at least not one i recognize by name. they had a starting spot wide open for hopkins.

Reaction Score

I assume this is sarcasm because the guy you’re referencing averaged 2.1 points and 1.4 rebounds a game. Maybe he’ll turn out to be a stud but judging someone by their recruiting ranking after they’ve had a season of college ball is ridiculous.

Reaction Score
Explain because I think Newton and Alleyne were the highest ranked Transfers of the 6 who chose Providence or CT? Sometimes being high ranked in 2021 doesn’t mean much in 2022 and beyond
You can’t be serious trying to come off that UCONN has done better than Providence overall in the portal thus far - especially with the Hopkins news. There is still time for the dust to settle and I’m sure another move or two is coming for us. It’s pretty clear which coach owns the other presently (insert Pedro Martinez “daddy” line). Hurley 1-7 vs Cooley head to head.

4E1888E4-5040-4AF9-A87C-40EB6BD33EE6.jpeg

Last edited:

olehead

Atomic Dogs!
Reaction Score
I guess its challenging going after guys like Tyrell Ward and Bryce Hopkins when you have a 3/4 on the roster, but given our DeMatha connection, I'm shocked we didn't kick the tires on Ward.

Reaction Score
ou can’t be serious trying to come off that UCONN has done better than Providence overall in the portal thus far - especially with the Hopkins news. There is still time for the dust to settle and I’m sure another move or two is coming for us. It’s pretty clear which coach owns the other presently (insert Pedro Martinez “daddy” line). Hurley 1-7 vs Cooley head to head.
so #1 v #9 is being "owned"? a top 10 transfer class with room for 4 more guys is unacceptable? LOL

Reaction Score
Lol at least i got my post holstered now when he does eventually commit there
I don't know if enough is being made of the Bryce Hopkins transfer they landed from Kentucky too. Guy was a top 40 recruit last year. He was on Cal all season about how he should be getting more time. Got 62 total minutes in SEC play this year, 16 of those came on 2/23 against LSU. Kentucky was down 8 at halftime and Cal put Hopkins in for the 2nd half and he went off for 13 points, 11 of them in the first 6 min of that half leading Kentucky on a 20-7 run to get kentucky a 5 point lead. Guy got 7 minutes total playing time the rest of the season. The talent is definitely there, so if its a morale/team/personality issue I don't think its anything a fresh start and an Ed Cooley led locker room can't fix. He could be a breakout star for them.

Reaction Score
I don't know if enough is being made of the Bryce Hopkins transfer they landed from Kentucky too. Guy was a top 40 recruit last year. He was on Cal all season about how he should be getting more time. Got 62 total minutes in SEC play this year, 16 of those came on 2/23 against LSU. Kentucky was down 8 at halftime and Cal put Hopkins in for the 2nd half and he went off for 13 points, 11 of them in the first 6 min of that half leading Kentucky on a 20-7 run to get kentucky a 5 point lead. Guy got 7 minutes total playing time the rest of the season. The talent is definitely there, so if its a morale/team/personality issue I don't think its anything a fresh start and an Ed Cooley led locker room can't fix. He could be a breakout star for them.
Exactly this. You don't get to be a top 35 recruit by accident. Of course there are no givens, but he could as easily be a stud as he could be a bust. Regardless, you have to be happy if you're a PC fan and Cooley has done will with transfers in the past so I trust his track record.

Besides Hopkins, they've landed Devin Carter (South Carolina) and Noah Locke (Florida/Louisville/former UConn target) both of whom everyone on this board would have taken on our squad for this upcoming year. Oh, and Corey Floyd. They also added a 6-10 dude from LaSalle/Indiana who scored in double figures last year. Plus, you saw Cooley's success with transfers this year -- he pretty much built a Big East Champion/Sweet 16 team out of the portal. If that's not owning the Portal, I don't know what is.

I am very pleased with what DH has done so far, but he's losing the arms race in the Portal. Granted, yes, he is losing a lot less than PC did and has better players returning than they do from last year, but that doesn't mean Cooley isn't doing better than him in the Portal. I never said PC is the better team right now, but they're doing better in the Portal. Granted, DH still can make moves (and he will) so I'm not calling it game over by any means.

Reaction Score
so #1 v #9 is being "owned"? a top 10 transfer class with room for 4 more guys is unacceptable? LOL
Another one that failed reading comprehension. LOL. Presently owns, and yes he’s 1-7 vs Cooley, including the 1 loss at home this past season (insert Sanogo excuse). I said moves were forthcoming and was refuting what the prior poster said. I guess when you’re wearing rose colored glasses, things read a little different. Make sure you’re facing Storrs when you pray for DH tonight.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
so1

Top Bottom