Big 12 TV partners push back on expansion | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Big 12 TV partners push back on expansion

Status
Not open for further replies.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
I just want to go on record as stating that I haven't given up on UConn to B1G. It's the best fit for us...
I think that I have.

Reaction Score
Just curious:

How do we know that ESPN isn't pushing back because UConn was going to be left out of the 2 / 4 that are being picked?

Maybe they ARE looking out for our best interests (for once). After all, we're one of the few schools that would bring the ratings needed to justify the payout that's required.

Can't say either way, but it seems like everyone is jumping to conclusions here. (Granted, we all know the past history with ESPN, but maybe they also view this as one of the last chances for us and are actually trying to get us picked.)

THIS ^^^^^^

Everyone in the sports world knew the Big12 was looking at expansion and vetting candidates. Yet ESPN and FOX remained mostly silent until the alleged announce date is upon them. Why? The most plausible reason is ESPN/FOX did not anticipated the Big12 would select the candidates they did and ESPN/FOX are horrified by the outcome.

ESPN/FOX probably figured "the BIG12 is using BHV and advanced metrics so clearly they will reach the conclusion that UConn/BYU are the top expansion choices." When the Big12 came back with Memphis and Houston ESPN literally re-enacted that Y2K commercial where the Rutgers Knight stomps the Husky.

ESPN/FOX knows one way or another it will eventually end up paying more for UConn whether that be in the ACC, BIG or BIG12. But Memphis, UCF and Houston....they are not even close to justifying P5 money and won't get another P5 offer. ESPN is not looking out for UConn's interests but, in this case, ESPN and UConn's interest are in sync...."Now follow me to freedom..."

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
Bc? Syracuse? Wsu?
Ill get whacked around here for this, but BC and Syracuse are worthy. I'm thinking in terms of the past 30 years, not 10 or less. Now, if BC has another 10 years like the last, then yeah - they fall to the bottom too.

Wash State probably a Tier 2 not worthy team. I don't have a great handle on all the PAC schools.

Reaction Score
The short list of not worthy:
Tier 1 offenders:
-Northwestern
-Wake

Tier 2:
-Rutty
-Vandy
-Purdue
-many of our small friends in the B12
I'll bet if you really sat down and thought about it, the list is much longer. For all the crap we get about our football program, in the last 5-6 seasons, we win nearly 20% of games against ranked teams and 35% against teams that are in the P5 today. While that isn't great, we've proven we can beat P5 teams already (Maryland, Rutgers, Pitt, Louisville to name a few), and I'll bet some of the perennial bottom feeders in these P5 conferences have an equally abysmal record, or even worse, yet no one says anything about them and just hands them $20, 30, 40 million every year because well they've been in the league since before TV was even a thing.

WestHartHusk

$3M a Year With March Off
Reaction Score
THIS ^^^^^^

Everyone in the sports world knew the Big12 was looking at expansion and vetting candidates. Yet ESPN and FOX remained mostly silent until the alleged announce date is upon them. Why? The most plausible reason is ESPN/FOX did not anticipated the Big12 would select the candidates they did and ESPN/FOX are horrified by the outcome.

ESPN/FOX probably figured "the BIG12 is using BHV and advanced metrics so clearly they will reach the conclusion that UConn/BYU are the top expansion choices." When the Big12 came back with Memphis and Houston ESPN literally re-enacted that Y2K commercial where the Rutgers Knight stomps the Husky.

ESPN/FOX knows one way or another it will eventually end up paying more for UConn whether that be in the ACC, BIG or BIG12. But Memphis, UCF and Houston....they are not even close to justifying P5 money and won't get another P5 offer. ESPN is not looking out for UConn's interests but, in this case, ESPN and UConn's interest are in sync...."Now follow me to freedom..."

Depending upon the Big12's motivations, it is not inconceivable that they used that data to select undesirable teams to improve their negotiating position. By taking that tact, they can potentially either get more money for selecting "the right" teams, or paid to not expand. This isn't good "partnering," but I really don't think that they give a F.

Reaction Score
THIS ^^^^^^

One can only hope. I really doubt it though, ESPN has done nothing for us.

Reaction Score
THIS ^^^^^^

It's a fun thought. I don't buy it though. I guess time will tell...

C

Chief00

Hearing Big 12 will cut back on prorata with networks - new teams will have to partially eat that.

Reaction Score
Just landed in Denver and texted my UT insider. Here's his latest take. No one has all the info so take it for what it's worth.

From what I hear the latest is to only add 2 teams...Cincy and BYU/UH.
UConn has some support it appears.
This is the compromise position. It gets the conference "some" additional money without COMPLETELY ticking off ESPN and Fox for future negotiations. The thinking now is "just because we can do it....doesn't mean we should bite the hand that feeds us."

Reaction Score
Those comments by them dont diminish UConn, if anything, they strengthen UConn's position.

The tv execs are not happy with the likes of houston and Memphis (most likely) as they add nothing to the electronic/tv footprint. BYU is probably also an obstacle because they have their own network.

BYUtv is not an obstacle. There may be other obstacles with BYU, but unlike other school networks, BYUtv is owned by the University, not by somebody else like ESPN. BYU can choose to make it an obstacle, I suppose, but if they want in the Big 12 then they will rather choose to make it an asset. They are used to deferring to a third party (ESPN) in their sports broadcasts, so deferring to the Big 12 wouldn't be a change.

My personal take on the ESPN/Fox pushback is that it may or may not benefit UCONN, but I agree that it is likely not a pushback against UCONN, but more likely against selling out to Houston (Texas politics) or Memphis (FedEx) instead of adding the best schools (BYU, UCONN, and/or Cincinnati) for the networks. It seems to me that ESPN, especially, would welcome having a university in their own back yard.

Reaction Score
BYUtv is not an obstacle. There may be other obstacles with BYU, but unlike other school networks, BYUtv is owned by the University, not by somebody else like ESPN. BYU can choose to make it an obstacle, I suppose, but if they want in the Big 12 then they will rather choose to make it an asset. They are used to deferring to a third party (ESPN) in their sports broadcasts, so deferring to the Big 12 wouldn't be a change.

My personal take on the ESPN/Fox pushback is that it may or may not benefit UCONN, but I agree that it is likely not a pushback against UCONN, but more likely against selling out to Houston (Texas politics) or Memphis (FedEx) instead of adding the best schools (BYU, UCONN, and/or Cincinnati) for the networks. It seems to me that ESPN, especially, would welcome having a university in their own back yard.
Why would they want to pay $20M for UConn games they already carry at a cost of $5M? I just don't see why ESPN would pay more for something they already own on the cheap.

Reaction Score
Why would they want to pay $20M for UConn games they already carry at a cost of $5M? I just don't see why ESPN would pay more for something they already own on the cheap.
Ditto for BYU. So should they pay 40 million for Houston and Cincy?

WestHartHusk

$3M a Year With March Off
Reaction Score

They don't want to, that's what's going on. Did you just wake up?

Reaction Score

The same argument could apply to BYU or any of the candidates, I think. Yes, if ESPN/Fox could have their way they would probably keep the status quo, but I think they realize that isn't happening. They're going to be paying more for at least two teams regardless, and I think the pushback is about not losing their shirt by paying more for two teams that bring the least return.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
If it's BYU and Houston, it will suck to have gotten passed over again, but at this point I'd almost consider that a win.

Losing Cincinnati would really sting the AAC.

Reaction Score
... or maybe Cinci, UH, Memphis to the Big 12 and UConn to the ACC strips all the value out the AAC so ESPN either ignores it or pays a few hundred thousand per school for it.

... or maybe ESPN wants UConn in the AAC so the rest of their contract with the league has value.

Who the frick knows anymore?

Your last point. They're getting us for pennies now and as long as we're stuck with them they have zero incentive to further monetize us. ESPN has botched the Northeast by promoting CUSE and BC to the ACC where they've failed to catch on, and marginalized UConn instead of showcasing us in P5. It's upside down world and we're counting on the B12 to realize our untapped potential not knowing if they're actually committed to the future of their own league or a short-term bank heist.

Reaction Score
The same argument could apply to BYU or any of the candidates, I think. Yes, if ESPN/Fox could have their way they would probably keep the status quo, but I think they realize that isn't happening. They're going to be paying more for at least two teams regardless, and I think the pushback is about not losing their shirt by paying more for two teams that bring the least return.
The Big 12 needs to do what's best for them long term, and not worry about the blowhards at ESPN.

UC/BYU/UCONN/UCF are, in my opinion, the right additions. If Texas politics are going to force UH instead of UCF, so be it. But either way, that's a strong league. These aren't scrub programs today, and P5 membership is only going to make them stronger in the next few years

Reaction Score

Espn has done UConn no favors in conference realignment. They are the reason UConn is in the position they are today as Espn orchestrated the raid of the Big East to destroy and weaken the conference because the Big East rejected their $1 billion offer and were about to shop the conference around to other networks.

Espn didn't like that and made a play to destroy the conference to prevent another network from getting the TV deal while also protecting their assets.

Espn is as slimy as they come

Reaction Score
Just landed in Denver and texted my UT insider. Here's his latest take. No one has all the info so take it for what it's worth.

This is the compromise position. It gets the conference "some" additional money without COMPLETELY ticking off ESPN and Fox for future negotiations. The thinking now is "just because we can do it....doesn't mean we should bite the hand that feeds us."

If the B12 ignores their own numbers and we end up left in a league with no future it's time to step back and figure out a plan B instead of giving it away to ESPN for nothing. Then they can move to Memphis or Houston for all I care.

Reaction Score
They don't want to, that's what's going on. Did you just wake up?
No, I was just pointing out to our resident BYU fan that us being in ESPN's backyard is essentially worthless because they already carry our games.

Reaction Score
Why hasn't it happened yet if that is such a popular solution?
How do you know it's not in the process of happening now?

Here's the thing you keep ignoring. If it doesn't happen, why the hell would ESPN pay the AAC any more money? And for once could you answer a direct question?

What school is going to turn down the B12 for the AAC? Because that's what you're suggesting.

Reaction Score

This is the exact same thing i've been told as well. I was reading Cincy boards and their ath. dept has gone on communication lock down as well similar to Byu. Interesting Ohio Governor Kasich sent a letter and evidently talked to Big 12 guys earlier in July. He's an Osu guy so that is a somewhat curious development unless it was late in the game.

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
If they stop at BYU and UC, then they are still short of having a power conference on par with the others in 2026. They may hold together in 2026, but the media economics are likely to fall short of expectations. The footprint is still too narrow compared to the other three. The southern plains + southern OH + wv + the national mormon population is short compared with PAC, SEC, B1G and ACC. It needs two more pieces; UConn and a directional FL. Sorry Houston, but Tx is already covered by your four older brothers.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom