Big 12 TV partners push back on expansion | Page 11 | The Boneyard

Big 12 TV partners push back on expansion

Status
Not open for further replies.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
The reason, of course, for the scramble by schools to get a Big 12 invite, is that it might be the last train to Clarksville.

Houston understands that it is "all in".

It's a practice that UH apparently realizes it cannot keep up. Chancellor Renu Khator wrote as much in an email obtained by the Houston Chronicle. If UH does not get into a major conference soon, "it will be difficult for us to sustain it," she wrote in 2014 to a UH professor who sent her an article about college athletics spending.

"It's a big bet and we're not a cash-rich school," Jonathan Snow, the president of UH's faculty senate, said in a recent interview.

One of the losers in realignment is going to sue. We are approaching the point where some of these schools do not have much to lose.

Reaction Score
I haven't seen the comparative US News rankings of national universities on this site. There may be some concern about schools trying to rig those numbers but here they are with WVa and Louisville thrown in for comparison purposes:

Tulane 41 (AAU)
UConn 57
BYU 66
Colorado State 127
Cincinatti 140 (35 clicks above WVa)
USF 156
UCF 168
Louisville 168
WVa 175
Houston 187 (12 clicks below WVa)
Memphis ("rank not published" but below 200)

When the Big 12 Presidents vote, such academic issues will be a factor. OU's David Boren has said as much. I understand for example that Texas talked with the SEC in 2011 but didn't like the academics there. Of course, the LHN would have had to end and no conference (Pac 12, Big 10, SEC, ACC) would accept them as a full member if that exists. (The ACC felt that Texas was talking to them in 2011 only to get leverage with the Pac 12 - they were never serious about joining the ACC.) I don't believe Texas wants to destroy the Big 12 - that is their lifeboat too until 2031 when the LHN contract ends, and it is a better geographic fit for them.

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
We would have spent the last 8ish years getting more money than we do now, playing teams that drive more attendance, being in the P5 instead of G5 etc.... so yeah better off than staying in the AAC for another 8 years
HOW DO PEOPLE STILL NOT GET THIS?!!? BIG12 DISASTER IN 8 YEARS POTENTIALLY AND GET PICKED UP BY ACC OR AAC DISASTER NOW AND DIE?!?!

Reaction Score
I haven't seen the comparative US News rankings of national universities on this site. There may be some concern about schools trying to rig those numbers but here they are with WVa and Louisville thrown in for comparison purposes:

Tulane 41 (AAU)
UConn 57
BYU 66
Colorado State 127
Cincinatti 140 (35 clicks above WVa)
USF 156
UCF 168
Louisville 168
WVa 175
Houston 187 (12 clicks below WVa)
Memphis ("rank not published" but below 200)

When the Big 12 Presidents vote, such academic issues will be a factor. OU's David Boren has said as much. I understand for example that Texas talked with the SEC in 2011 but didn't like the academics there. Of course, the LHN would have had to end and no conference (Pac 12, Big 10, SEC, ACC) would accept them as a full member if that exists. (The ACC felt that Texas was talking to them in 2011 only to get leverage with the Pac 12 - they were never serious about joining the ACC.) I don't believe Texas wants to destroy the Big 12 - that is their lifeboat too until 2031 when the LHN contract ends, and it is a better geographic fit for them.
Let me kill the suspense. This is what will happen and once again its contingent on what UT and OU want longterm. It will be on three scenarios(in no particular order):
1. stay at 10, negotiate bigger payout
2. extend gor, discuss network most likely with fox, UConn will definitely be inlcuded. My guess is UConn and either BYU or Cincy, or 4 with those 3 and UH.
3. Networks play hard ball, Big12 calls their bluff, extends bys 2, Cincy and UH. Simply a money grab, Big12 is dead, OU and UT will certainly leave at end of this contract.

If I had to guess, my bet is the schools prefer option 2, 1, 3. Not sure the networks agree, but maybe Fox bites. From Day 1, UH has been used as a pawn. There is no way that if UT was serious, longter with UH, they would be so vocal about it. If UH was confident, there is no way they would be so vocal.
In the end, my belief is they stay at 10.

Reaction Score
Possible but it would make them look foolish after exciting what 17 schools? I think they will expand by at least 2 to form a 12 team league with 2 divisions which makes the CCG more reasonable than having 2 teams play again after round robin play, and as they also own the name Big 14 I do believe that is where they are going. If UConn gets the call, they have to take it. You go with the 1st major league that asks you.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Boatbro

Top Bottom