Big 12 TV partners push back on expansion | The Boneyard

Big 12 TV partners push back on expansion

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
In expansion talks, just what does OU really want?

However, one industry insider, who worked directly with programming before recently leaving for another job in the industry, indicated getting the Big 12 schools to sign a grant of rights without offering anything in return will be a tough sell for the networks, even as they have to shell out up to $800 million to the league. More likely, to get a grant of rights extension, ESPN and Fox would have to put forward an immediate renegotiation of the Big 12's tier 1 and 2 deals, and pay the Big 12 up to the levels of the SEC and Big Ten. The Big Ten is now getting an estimated $250 million per year from Fox for only half of its rights.

If the networks put that on the table, the Big 12's viability for the next two decades would be virtually assured.

Seems that this is be the part were the TV partners tell them who to add. We can only hope this means no to Memphis and yes to UConn. The networks appear to be playing hardball by basically saying if you don't sign a GOR extension, we'll rip you apart when it expires.

Reaction Score
I love how the "P5" was created in a blink of an eye because of nothing more than greed and now if you're not in one of those magical conferences you literally do not matter anymore. College sports can go screw. Name one thing worse than the landscape of college athletics, you can't.

Reaction Score
I love how the "P5" was created in a blink of an eye because of nothing more than greed and now if you're not in one of those magical conferences you literally do not matter anymore. College sports can go screw. Name one thing worse than the landscape of college athletics, you can't.
Presidential choices we have this cycle maybe worse

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
So at the heart of it, this whole expansion discussion is just a shakedown of ESPN and Fox.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
So at the heart of it, this whole expansion discussion is just a shakedown of ESPN and Fox.
Well, yeah.

ESPN told the Big12 that there was no money for a network and then they offered one to the ACC. Big 12 is screwed anyway, why not maximize short term revenue, since they have the option to expand without dilution of payout and are not mandated to pay the incoming team pro rata?

Reaction Score
Pretty much. The most interesting aspect for me is what looks like a growing rift between OU & UT. Either way you take the invite but you might not want to unpack

Reaction Score
Pretty much. The most interesting aspect for me is what looks like a growing rift between OU & UT. Either way you take the invite but you might not want to unpack
You take the invite because it's better money and better competition. You can throw the suitcase in the fire for all I care. The hell with unpacking.

Reaction Score
Can someone please explain what this means? I've lost all ability to figure this stuff out. All I know is that I should be pissed. Is ESPN trying to diminish us by saying we are not worthy of P5 money? Or are they pissed because the Big 12 have inexplicably chosen dreck like Memphis?

Reaction Score
Well, yeah.

ESPN told the Big12 that there was no money for a network and then they offered one to the ACC. Big 12 is screwed anyway, why not maximize short term revenue, since they have the option to expand without dilution of payout and are not mandated to pay the incoming team pro rata?
The B12 doesn't have the inventory to start network& UT /ESPN have no incentive to fold the LHN. Remember those tier 3 deals that every B12 team thought was the greatest thing since sliced bread? Those would have to be dealt with along with sharing football rights with Fox. ESPN is the exclusive rights holder for the ACC & not having to share Duke/UNC & the ACC tournament with Raycom's syndicated network is beneficial for ESPN & the GOR extension didn't hurt

Mr. Wonderful

Whistleblower
Reaction Score
Can someone please explain what this means? I've lost all ability to figure this stuff out. All I know is that I should be pissed. Is ESPN trying to diminish us by saying we are not worthy of P5 money? Or are they pissed because the Big 12 have inexplicably chosen dreck like Memphis?
I wish it was the latter, but I'm sure it's the former.

Reaction Score

Those comments by them dont diminish UConn, if anything, they strengthen UConn's position.

The tv execs are not happy with the likes of houston and Memphis (most likely) as they add nothing to the electronic/tv footprint. BYU is probably also an obstacle because they have their own network.

Reaction Score

Good question. If a trial balloon suggesting e-f-f-i-n-g Memphis was floated you would hope media partners would go ballistic. We'll see - have faith. Remember - we deserve (and have deserved) inclusion in the P-5 for so many cogent reasons, it should happen.

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
So this is circling back to my original four: BYU/UC/UConn and a direction FL school. BYU must unwind its tv deal in the process. Those four schools deliver the most tv $$, and so that is what Fox/ESPN will demand if expansion comes to pass.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
So this is circling back to my original four: BYU/UC/UConn and a direction FL school. BYU must unwind its tv deal in the process. Those four schools deliver the most tv $$, and so that is what Fox/ESPN will demand if expansion comes to pass.

Speculation? Where did you see that.

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
Speculation? Where did you see that.
Its been seen absolutely no place - just in my own mind. Sorry. This was my four before the UH situation went from non-starter to virtual lock in a span of 72 hrs.

ESPN/Fox has two angles here:
i) bribe the B12 to not take 4 teams and keep the league as is. aka - buy back the 4 team expansion option
ii) threaten to make things ugly unless the B12 picks the best schools for tv economics. <--best case for us.

Last edited:

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
Well, yeah.

By shakedown, I mean that the Big 12 is threatening to max out the contract unless ESPN and Fox throw some more money that way. If the Big 12 was going to pay the new schools $10 million a piece and keep $15 million per school, it seems like the Big 12's opening offer to ESPN and Fox is $60MM more a year not to add 4 schools.

Reaction Score
Those comments by them dont diminish UConn, if anything, they strengthen UConn's position.

The tv execs are not happy with the likes of houston and Memphis (most likely) as they add nothing to the electronic/tv footprint.

I agree regarding UConn. I think this reaction by the networks could represent a second chance for the Huskies to be considered by the B12. Among all the schools under consideration, only two are certifiable P5 caliber, BYU & UConn. If BYU is willing to change it's tv package to accommodate the networks, then I believe ESPN & Fox will be agreeable to an expansion .

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
By shakedown, I mean that the Big 12 is threatening to max out the contract unless ESPN and Fox throw some more money that way. If the Big 12 was going to pay the new schools $10 million a piece and keep $15 million per school, it seems like the Big 12's opening offer to ESPN and Fox is $60MM more a year not to add 4 schools.

I think this is the logical conclusion.

Reaction Score
I think this is the logical conclusion.

The only question is, will the smaller B12 players push to extend the TV contract (and, by exension, the GOR addendum) beyond 2024?

TX and OK wouldn't want that, but would they be willing to add a couple of years for some additional $$ in the interim? On the other hand, announcing an expansion and having ESPN refuse to honor the proportional increase could possibly blow up the grant of rights altogether . . .

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Boatbro

Top Bottom