Big 12 TV partners push back on expansion | Page 9 | The Boneyard

Big 12 TV partners push back on expansion

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
If we agree to play home games in NYC, that will drive exposure in the papers and on the the radio in NYC. SNY will provide pre-game coverage. We have to offer this. No other available school can bring this option. For football Texas and Oklahoma; For bball, Texas, Oklahoma and Kansas. Add the wbb team and make it a double header.

I'm thinking UConn vs Texas at Yankee Stadium 12 noon. Then MSG for UConn women's BB vs Oklahoma or Baylor at 7 PM. Then UConn men's BB vs Kansas at 9:30 PM. That's a triple play worth paying for.

Reaction Score
I would think the ACC should have some interest in keeping the B12 out of the Northeast.
On some level they don't but the B12 will still have the smallest geographic footprint along with plenty of doubt as to how committed OU&UT are to the league.

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
On some level they don't but the B12 will still have the smallest geographic footprint along with plenty of doubt as to how committed OU&UT are to the league.

It would be cool if someone could prepare a chart of the DMA pops of the P5 and then a follow up with B12 + 4 best expansion candidates.

Reaction Score
I'm thinking UConn vs Texas at Yankee Stadium 12 noon. Then MSG for UConn women's BB vs Oklahoma or Baylor at 7 PM. Then UConn men's BB vs Kansas at 9:30 PM. That's a triple play worth paying for.

The more I think about this triple header the more I hope this was in UConn's presentation to the Big 12.

Talk about taking over a city. Let's see Cincy, BYU or Memphis try this.

#uconn6thborough

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
It would be cool if someone could prepare a chart of the DMA pops of the P5 and then a follow up with B12 + 4 best expansion candidates.

This has already been done.

CL82

2023 NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions
Reaction Score

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Clay Travis is a loathsome individual but he completely gets this topic.

Losing a quarter of a million subs in a month?

If I'm Disney I'm looking for a way to spin them off because with their liabilities if they don't solve the revenue issues soon they have a bleak future.

Alum86

Did they burn down the ROTC Hangar?
Reaction Score
The more I think about this triple header the more I hope this was in UConn's presentation to the Big 12.

Talk about taking over a city. Let's see Cincy, BYU or Memphis try this.

#uconn6thborough
Agree. Sports other than FB have to account for a bit one would hope, and push us into the B12.

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
Clay Travis is a loathsome individual but he completely gets this topic.

Losing a quarter of a million subs in a month?

If I'm Disney I'm looking for a way to spin them off because with their liabilities if they don't solve the revenue issues soon they have a bleak future.
Yes, but has anyone plotted out FS1's sports content? While ESPN maybe looking to offload, FS1 may still have too little content, particularly in the eastern time zone and therefore may have tolerance for this 4 team B12 expansion if it gives them content in zones they have nothing.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Yes, but has anyone plotted out FS1's sports content? While ESPN maybe looking to offload, FS1 may still have too little content, particularly in the eastern time zone and therefore may have tolerance for this 4 team B12 expansion if it gives them content in zones they have nothing.

Well a lot if Big 12 fans were already worried their games would get pushed to FS2 with the Big 10 deal.

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
Well a lot if Big 12 fans were already worried their games would get pushed to FS2 with the Big 10 deal.
Okay, so they have 50% of the B1G 10, which is plenty of EST programming. A second conference would be nice to sandwich in there however and spread the tv ratings bet. A B12 with CT and a FL school would help Fox which has zero FL content and only moderate appeal with the B10 north of NJ.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Okay, so they have 50% of the B1G 10, which is plenty of EST programming. A second conference would be nice to sandwich in there however and spread the tv ratings bet. A B12 with CT and a FL school would help Fox which has zero FL content and only moderate appeal with the B10 north of NJ.

I'm sure they would love to get it at a lower price.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score

I'm sure they would love to get it at a lower price.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
No one has ever been able to answer the question of why Iowa vs. Minnesota is worth 50x as much as UConn vs. Cincinnati if we are simply comparing value to TV. Any thoughts?

Mr. Wonderful

Whistleblower
Reaction Score
No one has ever been able to answer the question of why Iowa vs. Minnesota is worth 50x as much as UConn vs. Cincinnati if we are simply comparing value to TV. Any thoughts?
You are brilliant at engineering non-sequitors.

It isn't. But it doesn't have to be. The values of other matchups exceed 50x UConn vs. Cincinnati. UM vs. OSU for instance.

The per game price is a result of the average value of all the games.

Reaction Score
Maybe because if you buy Iowa vs. Minnesota you also get the Ohio State vs. Michigan whereas if you buy UConn vs. Cincinnati you get Tulane vs. Tulsa with it.

CTMike

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction Score
Because it's not a straight one to one comparison. Iowa is part of a basket of goods, UConn has ended up in a different basket of goods with lesser value.

Individually, or in different baskets, they would have different values.

Reaction Score
It looks like the networks are pushing the modern Big Ten/SEC model. Stretch out the market, not add more within already-staked states.

Can't see how UConn will be left out this time, if they expand by 4. We have too much going on here.

Reaction Score
I wonder what would happen if most resident of New England and New York start calling there cable subscribe and request to get basic cable without ESPN and FOX due to UConn not being in a P5 conference.... what presure would that put on this realignment process?? just a thought

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
It seems like there are three unknowns at this hour that will be hugely influential.

i) Does OU have a backup plan for 2025?
ii) Does UT really want join a conf in 2025 where it no longer is the big fish in a little bowl?
iii) What is the real view at FOX about a 4 team expansion and extending the GOR. Seems like they need EST content.

I think all three play a significant role in how FOX/ESPN and the B12 work together to resolve the expansion choices and reworked economics.

Reaction Score
I wonder what would happen if most resident of New England and New York start calling there cable subscribe and request to get basic cable without ESPN and FOX due to UConn not being in a P5 conference.... what presure would that put on this realignment process?? just a thought
That doesn't make sense. Many UConn games are on ESPN despite not being in a P5 conference. I think almost half of the WBB games are carried by ESPN, and ESPN carries AAC football and many of our MBB games. Not to mention the tourney. Why should ESPN care if UConn is in a P5 conference? They are already carrying those games for bargain basement prices.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom