Big 12 'likely' to be able to have championship game without expanding, per source | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Big 12 'likely' to be able to have championship game without expanding, per source

Status
Not open for further replies.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
Actually, I'm not starting an argument. I'm just curious as to why you are writing his reporting off as being a "mouthpiece" for UT when he doesn't cover UT as his regular beat.

My point is that he's a good reporter. I don't think you can just write off what he's reporting as what UT wants him to think. I think if he's going to print something he probably has multiple sources to back it up.

You're probably right that some of his sources are affiliated with UT, but that doesn't necessarily mean you should dismiss what he's writing as inaccurate.

When three different writers print almost exactly the same story, coming out of left field, it is fair to be suspicious. If you are right and the Big 12 gets full deregulation, it will shake college football to its core. I don't see it happening.

Reaction Score
When three different writers print almost exactly the same story, coming out of left field, it is fair to be suspicious. If you are right and the Big 12 gets full deregulation, it will shake college football to its core. I don't see it happening.

Believe me I hope I'm wrong. I just know that I've followed Carlton's stuff for years and I don't think he's the type of guy to go off half-cocked and put his reputation on the line for something that he didn't have multiple sources.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
Lastly I do agree that the issue is more financial than anything else. If this league somehow can get a pay bump to $8-$12mm per school then we would be able to continue to play the game. Hopefully we don't lose teams (unless UConn is leaving) before the look-in period and we can renegotiate for a better pay scale.

There's no pay bump coming.

ESPN is not going to voluntarily increase the payout to the conference by five-fold "just because".

If the Big 12 does not expand with UConn, we'll be having this discussion well into the 2020's.

Reaction Score
Yes, but maybe it's the B1G and PAC12 placating UT knowing they both covet them once the B12 implodes. So what can they do to expedite that process.

shizzle787

King Shizzle DCCLXXXVII of the Cesspool
Reaction Score
Hmmm...if the Big 12 can get away with a round robin schedule with a CCG featuring 1 vs. 2, will other conferences look to shrink to 10 in order to get the same action. Besides, I don't understand the theory that more teams in a conference is more money per team (especially when adding inferior teams). Something monumental may happen that helps us in the future. I could see more regional conferences coming back, and that would probably lead to a more inclusive 8-team playoff.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
There's no pay bump coming.

ESPN is not going to voluntarily increase the payout to the conference by five-fold "just because".

If the Big 12 does not expand with UConn, we'll be having this discussion well into the 2020's.

No we won't.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
Yes, but maybe it's the B1G and PAC12 placating UT knowing they both covet them once the B12 implodes. So what can they do to expedite that process.

The Pac 12 walked on UT, Texas Tech and the Oklahomas once already. The Pac 12 is not looking to expand.

Reaction Score
Believe me I hope I'm wrong. I just know that I've followed Carlton's stuff for years and I don't think he's the type of guy to go off half-cocked and put his reputation on the line for something that he didn't have multiple sources.

What I highlighted was not meant to be a referendum on a particular journalist's integrity. The whole thing sounded like a circle-jerk because of the timing and the word "floated" which was used in the piece. That sounded like a tell to the reader to beware and more of a wish-list than a pending agreement. Not saying it won't work but all leaks have an agenda at play this week and reporters are at the mercy of their sources and the need to deliver content. And from this the echo-chamber takes over to repeat the same narrative.

Reaction Score
You don't think the PAC12 would go to 14 if that included UT and OU?

The Pac 12 walked on UT, Texas Tech and the Oklahomas once already. The Pac 12 is not looking to expand.

Reaction Score

They already said no when Texas Tech and OSU were part of the expansion. Maybe they've changed their minds.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score

The Pac 12 said no to Texas mostly. I don't think any of the SEC, Big 10 or Pac 12 will put up with their BS. The ACC would take Texas if it put the Big 12 out of business.

Reaction Score
What I highlighted was not meant to be a referendum on a particular journalist's integrity. The whole thing sounded like a circle-jerk because of the timing and the word "floated" which was used in the piece. That sounded like a tell to the reader to beware and more of a wish-list than a pending agreement. Not saying it won't work but all leaks have an agenda at play this week and reporters are at the mercy of their sources and the need to deliver content. And from this the echo-chamber takes over to repeat the same narrative.

Fair enough. When we use the term "Mouthpiece " I usually feel like that has a negative connotation, but I hear what you're saying.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
Fair enough. When we use the term "Mouthpiece " I usually feel like that has a negative connotation, but I hear what you're saying.

Chuck Carlton is the greatest reporter in the history of reporters. There, happy now?

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score

They would do it in one second. Maybe less.

The sticking point was the Longhorn Network.

Without that, done deal.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
They would do it in one second. Maybe less.

The sticking point was the Longhorn Network.

Without that, done deal.

Colorado pissed all over Texas in the Pac 12. Texas is NEVER joining that league. The Pac 12 has a bunch of big, rapidly growing states, and they don't need ANYONE else. They have the Rockies and west all to themselves. They don't even need to be good to be a major. California and its 38 million apathetic fans is their trump card.

If Texas blocks Big 12 expansion, it is over, not just for us, but for the rest of the Big 12. But mostly for us. Texas and Oklahoma will be gone by 2025, and there is no rescue call coming for UConn when there are 8 teams ahead of us scrambling for maybe 2-3 seats on life boats.

We have the third highest subsidy of any athletic program. That is completely unsustainable.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
Texas doesn't give a s--- about Colorado and the Pac-12 would euthanize every person on the Boulder campus if it meant welcoming Texas.

Texas and Notre Dame are the two schools who can join any conference with nothing more than a text message.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
Texas doesn't give a s--- about Colorado and the Pac-12 would euthanize every person on the Boulder campus if it meant welcoming Texas.

Texas and Notre Dame are the two schools who can join any conference with nothing more than a text message.

That must be why they are in the Pac 12 right now.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
Texas can join the Pac 12 whenever they want - they don't want to because of the LHN money.

Jesus, you are a head case.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
If this vote doesn't go the right way on Friday, the door is closing forever on the P5. This is our last chance.

Reaction Score
If Texas blocks Big 12 expansion, it is over, not just for us, but for the rest of the Big 12. But mostly for us. Texas and Oklahoma will be gone by 2025, and there is no rescue call coming for UConn when there are 8 teams ahead of us scrambling for maybe 2-3 seats on life boats.

Well, if it shook out that way, no chance there are 8 schools ahead of us. In the Big 12, we'd be ahead of everyone but Kansas.

TCU, Tech, and Baylor all have their own issues, academic or religious, aside from being a distant 3-5 in that state's interest.​

Kansas State is second fiddle in a medium market, same with Oklahoma State. Both are academic disasters.​

Iowa State is AAU, but the B1G already has Iowa, and I can't see the ACC adding them.​

West Virginia has value, and I could see them being ahead of us because of football prowess, but they are a small market with mediocre academics.​

If Texas and Oklahoma go anywhere but the B1G, I'd say Kansas and UConn head that way.

That said, we'd have to make it there with a program that looks like UConn...and that will be a challenge.

Last edited:

junglehusky

Molotov Cocktail of Ugliness
Reaction Score
LOLZ. Sure I guess you can say three independent writers posting similar things is "suspicious". You could just as easily say it's "consistent".

OMG 97% of climate scientists say climate change is caused by humans! That's so SUSPICIOUS!!!!

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
LOLZ. Sure I guess you can say three independent writers posting similar things is "suspicious". You could just as easily say it's "consistent".

OMG 97% of climate scientists say climate change is caused by humans! That's so SUSPICIOUS!!!!

A blogger that I have never heard of, a University of Texas message board moderator, and a Dallas based sportswriter are not exactly a scientific study.

More interesting is why posters like you pick such strange fights.

Reaction Score
A blogger that I have never heard of, a University of Texas message board moderator, and a Dallas based sportswriter are not exactly a scientific study.

More interesting is why posters like you pick such strange fights.

Ah yes, the random blogger who happens to be the manger of the college football section of the little known web site "SB Nation."

Also, I'm sorry you feel like people are picking fights with you, but we are allowed to have different opinions.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom