Big 12 'likely' to be able to have championship game without expanding, per source | The Boneyard

Big 12 'likely' to be able to have championship game without expanding, per source

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
http://www.sbnation.com/college-foo...byu-cincinnati-houston-deregulation-proposals

Big 12 'likely' to be able to have championship game without expanding, per source
By Matt Brown@MattSBN on Jan 11, 2016, 5:15p

Representatives from every FBS conference are meeting this week to discuss the Big 12's recent proposal to deregulate conference championship games. If it passes, it would allow the conference to hold a title game without splitting into divisions or expanding to 12 teams.

The Big Ten countered with a proposal that would allow conferences to hold championship games with fewer than 12 teams, but would require them to split into divisions, something the Big 12 does not want to do.

Some outlets have reported that if the Big 12 is unable to hold a championship game without expanding or splitting into divisions, it would likely expand.

Sunday night, Big 12 commissioner Bob Bowlsby told the Dallas Morning News that he did not expect his total deregulation proposal to pass, which would mean the Big 12 is seeking a compromise. That compromise might be taking shape.

A high-ranking official at a voting conference told SB Nation it is "likely" that the Big Ten proposal will be amended to allow for a conference with round-robin scheduling to hold a football championship of its own, so long as that conference's top two seeds compete in the game. That appears similar to what Dallas Morning News reporter Chuck Carlton floated last night as well.

This could be bad news for fans of BYU, Cincinnati, Houston, UCF and others.

Hypothetically, such a proposal could assuage concerns about a conference with a multi-division format, like the ACC floated. It could also allow the Big 12 to hold a championship without expanding or forming divisions. Multiple sources have told SB Nation that forcing a conference to expand is not a goal of any pending legislation.

Reaction Score
Oh good...another CR thread. You mean to tell me you are so important, that you felt the need for your own thread? Maybe could have dropped this in the Key Tweets thread? Yeesh....

junglehusky

Molotov Cocktail of Ugliness
Reaction Score
Oh good...another CR thread. You mean to tell me you are so important, that you felt the need for your own thread? Maybe could have dropped this in the Key Tweets thread? Yeesh....
Those threads are so long and sometimes so much volume of non-tweet activity... someone can easily miss it.

Reaction Score
So... why did Sankey make any comment whatsoever? This is the B12's original proposal.

Reaction Score
Plus it was an article, not a tweet.

I understand it was an article and not a tweet. But if everyone posted an article about CR in their own thread it would be even more maddening trying to keep up with CR.

As for it getting buried in the other threads, if you keep up on the thread it brings you to the first unread post. Not a big deal then.

Reaction Score
Well it is the conference realignment board. If your tired of conference realignment threads, this may not be the board to visit.

No need for that. If you'd like, I'd be glad to go find articles and just start new threads. I'm not some newbie here so no need for the tone.

Reaction Score
I am pretty sure only way B12 can have a championship game is by splitting into 2 divisions with 5 teams each. That would be weird and B12 already said they don't want to do that. There is no way B1G/SEC would support anything that allows a conference to decide which 2 teams within the conference to play for that conference championship. If it will pass, I am curious to see what kind of compromise they did.

B12 staying at 10 is a dead man walking. It will survive until Texas gets a better deal elsewhere.

Reaction Score
If this is how it comes to pass, and there is no pressure for additional expansion for the next 3-5 years (let alone 2026), we are truly done.. CR won't matter in 3-5 years for us.

Reaction Score
If this is how it comes to pass, and there is no pressure for additional expansion for the next 3-5 years (let alone 2026), we are truly done.. CR won't matter in 3-5 years for us.

I know the economics aren't favorable without getting into a P5 conference, but there alternative ways the school can generate revenue. Won't be P5 revenue, but could be enough to keep us afloat for the next 10 years.

Don't push the panic button just yet.

Reaction Score
I know the economics aren't favorable without getting into a P5 conference, but there alternative ways the school can generate revenue. Won't be P5 revenue, but could be enough to keep us afloat for the next 10 years.

Don't push the panic button just yet.

It is not a revenue issue, it is a perception issue. We can always get more revenue elsewhere. Worst case we can always ask our big uncle state of CT to get more funding. The problem is perception. Playing our blue blood basketball programs (Men and Women) in the AAC will kill both. Recruiting would be a challenge. I don't know how long we can keep the fans' interest with lousy AAC football opponents week after week. In addition to that, we have a national perception problem. AAC could be better than the ACC this year but no one outside the AAC would know that. I really don't know if we can survive 5 to 10 years like this.

Reaction Score
No need for that. If you'd like, I'd be glad to go find articles and just start new threads. I'm not some newbie here so no need for the tone.
No tone intended. I think the board will survive with an extra thread or two. You see plenty of people replying already. I was happily reading the responses till I came to your reply.

Reaction Score
Rule #1 is still the undefeated champion
If this is true, not quite. At least in the case that the Big 12 doesn't expand, the AAC isn't further weakened with UConn left behind. Certainly not an ideal scenario that we don't get an invite, but better that no one does instead of UC/UH and we're left adding the likes of UMass and Old Dominion.

Reaction Score
One other note, I think if B12 can play a championship with 10 teams and other P5 conferences agreed to this, it simply means other P5 conferences are simply waiting for the GOR to expire before raid the B12 to pieces. Either way, anyone not named Texas and OU in the B12 should be worried. The future of the B12 is looking worse and worse if they don't expand. Based on B12's past track record, they are like the old BE in every way. I think all those schools outside OU and Texas are pretty screwed. They should just blew up the B12 the last round vs. keeping it hanging around just to keep Texas happy.

Reaction Score
It is not a revenue issue, it is a perception issue. We can always get more revenue elsewhere. Worst case we can always ask our big uncle state of CT to get more funding. The problem is perception. Playing our blue blood basketball programs (Men and Women) in the AAC will kill both. Recruiting would be a challenge. I don't know how long we can keep the fans' interest with lousy AAC football opponents week after week. In addition to that, we have a national perception problem. AAC could be better than the ACC this year but no one outside the AAC would know that. I really don't know if we can survive 5 to 10 years like this.

Sorry, I disagree, it's mostly a revenue issue. Winning is winning. If we keep winning in BBall and start strining together 8-9-10 win seasons in football we will be in a position to find a permanent home eventually.

However, without the revenue suddenly our facilities go out of date, our tier 1 coaches leave because we can't pay them and the athletic department suffers as a whole.

TCU found a home after being stuck in Conference USA and the Mtn. West. They did so because they kept winning.

Winning is our ticket out of the AAC, the problem is being able to afford the things that lead to winning.

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
Its all falling into place.....for OU and TX to leave sometime in the next decade. The P5 will become the P4.

Reaction Score
I like the "future is bleak" tone to the post above.

Why?

I just cannot see the Championship Game issue being the ultimate leverage to their move. If they can't do a Conference Network, nor solve the LHN issue, then they continue to fall into the disparity problem (with the ACC) that ultimately has the B1G members (inclusive of Rutgers) & the SEC members (inclusive of Vandy) doing far better than Texas & Oklahoma. You cannot expect that to continue ... Dude.

They just caucused all their Presidents extensively. It should be obvious that a Texas centric conference is a loser.

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
I like the "future is bleak" tone to the post above.

Why?

I just cannot see the Championship Game issue being the ultimate leverage to their move. If they can't do a Conference Network, nor solve the LHN issue, then they continue to fall into the disparity problem (with the ACC) that ultimately has the B1G members (inclusive of Rutgers) & the SEC members (inclusive of Vandy) doing far better than Texas & Oklahoma. You cannot expect that to continue ... Dude.

They just caucused all their Presidents extensively. It should be obvious that a Texas centric conference is a loser.
And because they realize a TX is a loser, they are going this path which will give the SEC/BIG/ACC and maybe PAC more time to work up a new tv contract taking on the best of the B12. Baylor, TT, TCU are looking like eventual outsiders.

Reaction Score
I'm calling BS on this "story". Not sure Brown as plugged in as a McMurphy (or a Thamel or Tramel). Big Ten/Delany want 2 divisions of at least six for the CCG. Delany can say "we don't want to force another league to expand" all day long, but there's no need for a CCG if you already play everyone else.

Reaction Score
I'm calling BS on this "story". Not sure Brown as plugged in as a McMurphy (or a Thamel or Tramel). Big Ten/Delany want 2 divisions of at least six for the CCG. Delany can say "we don't want to force another league to expand" all day long, but there's no need for a CCG if you already play everyone else.

FWIW Dallas Morning News reporter Chuck Carlton tweeted something similar:

Part of a series of Tweets.

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
I still don't understand how the other power conferences would be okay with this. All of them run the risk of having their top seed upset in a Championship Game. Allowing the B12 the option of one of their top 2 choices every year just seems a bit far-fetched unless, of course, there is a thorough understanding that the B12 will dissolve in 5-10 years and the remaining power conferences have their B12 schools picked out already.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent22

Top Bottom