Big 12 'likely' to be able to have championship game without expanding, per source | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Big 12 'likely' to be able to have championship game without expanding, per source

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
So based on Friday's vote, the Big 12 will either expand or not. If it expands, it could take UCONN which would basically throw our state into a frenzy of celebration. If it expands and takes one or two AAC schools other than UCONN, we will hit another all-time low, and that seems more likely given CR Rule #1. So do we hope for no expansion for now, meaning we hope the vote goes the Big 12 way? I almost want to see expansion regardless of who the Big 12 takes. Another humiliating kick to the crotch, something will absolutely have to give.

Reaction Score
So based on Friday's vote, the Big 12 will either expand or not. If it expands, it could take UCONN which would basically throw our state into a frenzy of celebration. If it expands and takes one or two AAC schools other than UCONN, we will hit another all-time low, and that seems more likely given CR Rule #1. So do we hope for no expansion for now, meaning we hope the vote goes the Big 12 way? I almost want to see expansion regardless of who the Big 12 takes. Another humiliating kick to the crotch, something will absolutely have to give.

FYI - Pretty certain the amendment vote is today based on what I've been reading. The larger vote I believe is Friday. We'll have a pretty good idea of how this is going to shake out in the next few hours.

Reaction Score
So do we hope for no expansion for now, meaning we hope the vote goes the Big 12 way? I almost want to see expansion regardless of who the Big 12 takes. Another humiliating kick to the crotch, something will absolutely have to give.
Personally, I'm hoping they're forced to expand and either take us or don't. I'd rather roll the dice, even if it means we could end up in an even worse spot.

We need to move. A chance is better than nothing.

Reaction Score
amory said:
Personally, I'm hoping they're forced to expand and either take us or don't. I'd rather roll the dice, even if it means we could end up in an even worse spot. We need to move. A chance is better than nothing.

I'm along the lines with this. Even if it means we don't get picked up, at least there would be some movement. Also, I feel like Herbst is on top of this and we have a real shot. As also mentioned, if it's Cincy and Houston or BYU, and we get left out I think that the hell that would break loose after would almost force action from the state legislators, etc.

Reaction Score
Has there been any indication of how Warde will vote, as the AAC representative?

He's in a rather awkward spot, as the conference's interests probably don't align with UConn's interests for this issue.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
Ah yes, the random blogger who happens to be the manger of the college football section of the little known web site "SB Nation."

Also, I'm sorry you feel like people are picking fights with you, but we are allowed to have different opinions.

You are right. Chuck Carlton, Chip Brown, and the other guy are the real story today.

junglehusky

Molotov Cocktail of Ugliness
Reaction Score
I'm along the lines with this. Even if it means we don't get picked up, at least there would be some movement. Also, I feel like Herbst is on top of this and we have a real shot. As also mentioned, if it's Cincy and Houston or BYU, and we get left out I think that the hell that would break loose after would almost force action from the state legislators, etc.
We have a shot if it's WVU and OU have enough power within the B12. It already sounds like they are not going to carry the day -- i.e. Texas has enough power and/or the other B12 schools are not interested enough in the available candidates to lean towards expansion. Since that appears to be the case, I wouldn't feel confident enough to roll the dice and would feel better about waiting for the next window to open with the B1G or ACC. Granted, that is also a roll of the dice that that window would re-open in the next 5 years rather than 2025.

I don't see what meaningful action the state legislature or governor could possibly accomplish if UConn is left in an AAC without Cincy. That scenario involves the AAC contract getting devalued and is the worst outcome for UConn.

Reaction Score
What kind of action from state legislators? Assuming the other schools feel the same, does it become CT congressmen vs. those from OH, TX, UT, and whatever other states' schools are in play? I recall the last time someone from our government got involved in realignment: didn't do much for us, but said person moved on to being a senator so I guess it worked out for him in the long run.

junglehusky

Reaction Score
I find it unlikely that the other majors will tolerate the Big 12 picking whoever it wants to play in the 13th game. I do think that two 5 team divisions have a fighting chance.
Let's get back to the original question involving these reports. Do you want to go on the record predicting that the compromise will not pass? That's what you seem to be saying.

Reaction Score
HoopsFan21 said:
What kind of action from state legislators? Assuming the other schools feel the same, does it become CT congressmen vs. those from OH, TX, UT, and whatever other states' schools are in play? I recall the last time someone from our government got involved in realignment: didn't do much for us, but said person moved on to being a senator so I guess it worked out for him in the long run.
I'm not sure, but I do think that political powers do play a part in this and maybe something can be done to get us into the ACC. They have a spot open and would be able to do 3 pods of 5 if this passes and be able to leave the 16th spot open if ND ever has to join. Doubtful, I know, but would be curious. Maybe Malloy is forced to finally threaten ESPN somehow (who is bleeding money already) and cause them to act on our behalf. Not how I'd want to join a P5, but end of the day who cares?

Reaction Score

Whole system is disgusting.

P5: "Hey, all of us get 2 votes so we can pass anything we want without any real contention, sound good?"
NCAA: "Whatever you guys say. By the way duckk UConn, right?"
P5: "Oh yeah, for sure."

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Arguing about it doesn't change it. We will find out the reality at the same time everybody else does. It will either open to the door to expansion which could (a) include UConn or (b) not include UConn and make the American even weaker or it will shut the door. Let's not pretend that opening the door is automatically good...it might be, we can hope, but it could screw us even further.

Side note: I like Fishy's new avatar. Fish are friends, not food.

Reaction Score
I still don't understand this 10 team conference championship game thing.

What's the point of having a championship game if the teams have already played?

This is positively screwy.

I can't get my head around it.

And doesn't it diminish the earlier games?

I mean, Michigan is not going to play Ohio State in a conference championship game, and that's how it should be.

What the heck is the B12 doing?

Reaction Score

What's the point of having a championship game if the teams have already played?

I mean, Michigan is not going to play Ohio State in a conference championship game, and that's how it should be.

When was the last time anyone in the P5 was worried about if something makes sense, or if it's good for competition?
Their goal is to not expand, and this is a way to not expand.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
Let's get back to the original question involving these reports. Do you want to go on the record predicting that the compromise will not pass? That's what you seem to be saying.

I am on the record that the Big 12 will not be able to choose whoever it wants to play in the Championship game. You are on the record saying....what exactly? Oh right, you like to say "I told you so" when you never actually "told you so".

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
This slams the door shut on the Big 12 forever. Not looking good for the Huskies. I wonder what questions Herbst will get from the BoT about the $27MM subsidy the athletic department is getting right now.

junglehusky

Reaction Score
I am on the record that the Big 12 will not be able to choose whoever it wants to play in the Championship game. You are on the record saying....what exactly? Oh right, you like to say "I told you so" when you never actually "told you so".
I'm saying the reporting is accurate. And the reporting said that the B12 would be able to play a round robin and have 1 vs. 2 in their CCG. Which you now agree with, thanks for going on the record.

Reaction Score
This slams the door shut on the Big 12 forever. Not looking good for the Huskies. I wonder what questions Herbst will get from the BoT about the $27MM subsidy the athletic department is getting right now.
Disagree on forever. And if the Big 12 gets to play the title game with 10, how is that Herbst's fault?

Reaction Score
I'm saying the reporting is accurate. And the reporting said that the B12 would be able to play a round robin and have 1 vs. 2 in their CCG. Which you now agree with, thanks for going on the record.

If they allow this, they have to allow the ACC to do its thing too, because there is no way to determine who is #1 and #2.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
If they allow this, they have to allow the ACC to do its thing too, because there is no way to determine who is #1 and #2.
Rankings?

Reaction Score
Rankings?

Look at the pre-championship game rankings of the last few years for the B12. It's madness. Some teams ( identical won-lost records ) were ranked in front of teams that beat them.

If they want to go that way, fine.

But imagine this hypothetical: 11-1 Oklahoma is #1. They've lost to Oklahoma St. 10-2 TCU is ranked #2 in polls. They've lost to Oklahoma St. and Oklahoma. #3 team is Oklahoma St., who lost to Baylor and Texas but played no one out of conference: Central Michigan, Central Arkansas and UTSA (this is actually OSU's OOC this year). TCU though has a win over, say, Tennessee.

Would it make sense that the team with the better conference record (OSU) doesn't get to play against a team they already beat for the conference championship?

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Look at the pre-championship game rankings of the last few years for the B12. It's madness. Some teams ( identical won-lost records ) were ranked in front of teams that beat them.

If they want to go that way, fine.

But imagine this hypothetical: 11-1 Oklahoma is #1. They've lost to Oklahoma St. 10-2 TCU is ranked #2 in polls. They've lost to Oklahoma St. and Oklahoma. #3 team is Oklahoma St., who lost to Baylor and Texas but played no one out of conference: Central Michigan, Central Arkansas and UTSA (this is actually OSU's OOC this year). TCU though has a win over, say, Tennessee.

Would it make sense that the team with the better conference record (OSU) doesn't get to play against a team they already beat for the conference championship?
I think the basis of the proposed compromise isn't what gets the best team to CFP but rather making sure that the conference can't arbitrarily pick a school to represent them.

Reaction Score
I think the basis of the proposed compromise isn't what gets the best team to CFP but rather making sure that the conference can't arbitrarily pick a school to represent them.

But that's done easier without a CCG. With a CCG, there's a lot more chance that the rankings are skewed, and that the conference records are less important. At the very least, you need conference record tie-breakers in there to make these determinations.

TRest

Horrible
Reaction Score

The ACC set up their divisions so Miami and FSU could meet in the championship game, despite playing a rivalry crossover game every year. It's just never worked out.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent22

Top Bottom