Big 12 'likely' to be able to have championship game without expanding, per source | Page 5 | The Boneyard

Big 12 'likely' to be able to have championship game without expanding, per source

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
The ACC set up their divisions so Miami and FSU could meet in the championship game, despite playing a rivalry crossover game every year. It's just never worked out.

Yeah, but, they have 14 teams. So it's not a round robin.

BUConn10

Artist formerly known as BUHusky10
Reaction Score
It's quite fascinating really. It's almost as if there is a single man's hand behind all this conference realignment stuff whose sole mission in life is to destroy UConn. If this entire CR ordeal was to be re-enacted, I don't think the series of events that have taken place over the last few years could have been more disastrous for this program if the powers that be tried. Every single bit of news that is published, every rumor that is started, every NCAA announcement, goes squarely against the success of this program that I love.

I've given up hope and have accepted the reality, it hurts less than getting your hopes crushed repeatedly. This board will always be a part of UConn's main discussion board, always.

junglehusky

Molotov Cocktail of Ugliness
Reaction Score
It's quite fascinating really. It's almost as if there is a single man's hand behind all this conference realignment stuff whose sole mission in life is to destroy UConn. If this entire CR ordeal was to be re-enacted, I don't think the series of events that have taken place over the last few years could have been more disastrous for this program if the powers that be tried. Every single bit of news that is published, every rumor that is started, every NCAA announcement, goes squarely against the success of this program that I love.

I've given up hope and have accepted the reality, it hurts less than getting your hopes crushed repeatedly. This board will always be a part of UConn's main discussion board, always.
If it were up to, say, WVU, we'd be in the B12. If it were up to the Tobacco Road schools, we'd be in the ACC. Conferences are messy conglomerates of competing interests.

I understand this doesn't alleviate any of the anxiety though.

Reaction Score

It could always be worse. Objectively speaking no expansion isn't the worst outcome. They could've expanded and took 2 good AAC programs and put us in an even worse spot.

BUConn10

Artist formerly known as BUHusky10
Reaction Score
It could always be worse. Objectively speaking no expansion isn't the worst outcome. They could've expanded and took 2 good AAC programs and put us in an even worse spot.
That's coming.

Reaction Score
If it were up to, say, WVU, we'd be in the B12. If it were up to the Tobacco Road schools, we'd be in the ACC. Conferences are messy conglomerates of competing interests.

I understand this doesn't alleviate any of the anxiety though.

If this thing goes South in the next 12-48 hours - and it's looking increasingly likely it will - I think there are some positives we can take out of it.

Our entire fan base and administration mobilized publicly and behind the scenes to put us in a position to get a spot in the P5.

When the wheels start spinning again - and they will - if we can activate the way we did over the pass few weeks, there is no way we get passed over.

Reaction Score
Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it.

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
Honestly, I won't be crushed if the B12 stays put at 10. The only scenario that would send me into a CR spiral would be if the B12 expanded by taking a few mediocre AAC schools away from us.

I get the sense in my own Twitter travels from the past few weeks that college sports fans think that UConn is a P5 school, but better suited for the B1G or ACC. I tend to agree.

If the B12 stays at 10, there is a 100% chance that it will lose more members at some point between now and their next TV contract. When that happens, it will start the wheels again. Until that day, we just need to keep doing what we are doing. Markets, academics, athletics, brand, TV ratings, licensing, football popularity...we are at or near the top of every important metric in comparison with our G5 competition. We make for a very easy partner when the day comes that a B12 school decides to bolt for greener and more secure pastures.

Reaction Score
I don't mean to beat a dead horse but when the day comes that programs leave the Big 12 for greener pastures, the Big 12 will no longer be Power. I also can't keep following this minutia for another year, let alone 5-10. Ugh.

Reaction Score
I don't mean to beat a dead horse but when the day comes that programs leave the Big 12 for greener pastures, the Big 12 will no longer be Power. I also can't keep following this minutia for another year, let alone 5-10. Ugh.

It might be fun though to play Kansas and West Virginia rather than Tulsa and Tulane.

junglehusky

Molotov Cocktail of Ugliness
Reaction Score
That's what I keep saying, and yet...here I am still checking regularly every day, week after week, year after year...
The Red Sox were cursed for decades, and then they won 2 WS's. Guns 'N Roses took forever to release Chinese Democracy, Dr. Dre took forever to release a follow-up to The Chronic 2001, but they eventually did.

Reaction Score
The Red Sox were cursed for decades, and then they won 2 WS's. Guns 'N Roses took forever to release Chinese Democracy, Dr. Dre took forever to release a follow-up to The Chronic 2001, but they eventually did.

Yeah but Axl Rose.

UC313

Knucklehead
Reaction Score

"aint gonna be nothin after that, this is the millennium of aftermath, gimme one more platinum plaque and rap you can have it back"

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
But that's done easier without a CCG. With a CCG, there's a lot more chance that the rankings are skewed, and that the conference records are less important. At the very least, you need conference record tie-breakers in there to make these determinations.
But there would not be a tie in rankings, right?

Reaction Score
But there would not be a tie in rankings, right?

Rankings can be tied, but that would be incredibly rare for teams from the same conference to be tied.

Reaction Score
In the case of a tie, they first look to size of state, then to enrollment. Hook 'em!

Reaction Score
You should enjoy some D2 or D3 school. More stable.
Just root for Harvard. It has more money, by far, than anyone else and since that seems to be the name of the game, it's a win every year.

I don't get it. Conferences and programs made all kinds of moves partially due to the 12 team, 2 division requirement. This opens the door to every conference asking for special exemptions to their benefit and if they are denied...it is just a bad precedent. I bet each G5 voted for it to protect themselves, added to the 4 votes between the B12 and ACC, that is at least 9 of 15 votes.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent22