Big 12 Invites TCU | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Big 12 Invites TCU

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Nothing has changed. The SEC, the B!G and the PAC are definitely surviving. The question is still which of the ACC, BE and B12 survives and in what configuration. That is still playing out and the BE looks the most vulnerable currently. I'm proposing one possible development, which is a long shot but not out of the question.

The SEC can kill any future competition with the ACC once and for all if they take FSU, Clemson and VT, assuming those schools are interested in moving. So the SEC has to decide if making their conference superiority in the Southeast even greater than it exists today, and destroying what might someday be their rival, is a better strategic move than compromising some member schools fears regarding recruiting. Florida will have to decide if getting rid of the ACC helps them more than cooperating with FSU. My feeling is the SEC would be foolish not taking this step. Florida and FSU will always be rivals whichever conference they are in. Why not make each other allies at the expense of 12 or so other schools in the ACC and gobble up the $$$. They don't gain any recruiting advantages by being in different conferences.

The B12 and the BE can complete the destruction of the ACC by merging all BE football schools with the B12. Again if the $$ are important, why not destroy one of the conferences in addition to making a conference stabile. A Big12 BE merger would be very attractive to markets, media and BCS every bit if not more than the ACC. So why not take out the ACC. This will leave the B!G the option of deciding whether they will stay as is or take some of the remaining ACC schools. BC, Miami, Syracuse and Pitt will be in a great BB conference, competing with the likes of Georgetown, Nova, and St. Johns.

Why can't that happen? Because with Texas and Oklahoma in the Big XII the Big XII's football rights are worth much, much, much, much more than the Big East's, and the Big XII would be nuts to invite UConn and RU and USF and Cincy to share in the revenues equally. Even if you totally ignored the geography.

The ACC is surviving. Period. Losing FSU, Clemson and VPI does not kill that league. The Big East, as a major league, will die. It might take a few years but the writing is unfortunately on the wall. The Big XII will survivive so long as at least one of Texas and OU stays there.

Reaction Score
If only Herbst had gone to that meeting in NY, and swore the UConn was committed to building the Big East. Had she done that, then TCU would have said "no thanks B12, we're sticking with the BE". and every other BE FB school would have committed long term to building the BE. Oh well......

wait a minute, TCU pledged allegiance to the BE last Sunday, does that mean all the stuff i'm hearing on the internet is false about them moving to the Big 12?

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
Why can't that happen? Because with Texas and Oklahoma in the Big XII the Big XII's football rights are worth much, much, much, much more than the Big East's, and the Big XII would be nuts to invite UConn and RU and USF and Cincy to share in the revenues equally. Even if you totally ignored the geography.

The ACC is surviving. Period. Losing FSU, Clemson and VPI does not kill that league. The Big East, as a major league, will die. It might take a few years but the writing is unfortunately on the wall. The Big XII will survivive so long as at least one of Texas and OU stays there.
That assumes the BE schools insist on equal revenue sharing. Contracts could be structured to consider market value.

Reaction Score
You got to lighten up. We get that everything sucks right now. You don't have some special insight into that fact that no one else has.

My guess is that the vote is 6-0 against, with Marinatto voting against the Big East having a bid.

Reaction Score
wait a minute, TCU pledged allegiance to the BE last Sunday, does that mean all the stuff i'm hearing on the internet is false about them moving to the Big 12?

Everyone pledged allegiance until a better offer comes along. This is why it is a joke people giving UCONN a hard time about wanting to go to another conference. At least UCONN is honest with its intentions LOL.

Of course, TCU to the B12 is not surprising considering the geography fit. Good luck to them. Meanwhile, Marinatto is wondering whether to upgrade NOVA football LOL.

Reaction Score
That assumes the BE schools insist on equal revenue sharing. Contracts could be structured to consider market value.

Well, to some degree it does assume that. Because my guess is Uconn could get entrance into the ACC or even Big Ten tomorrow if it offered to contribute its TV rights to the pool and take nothing else. So, once you start assuming less than equal treatment, then you're just in negotiations. I think all the discussions to date assume Big East schools are going in as equal members. And, the problem with a conference bringing schools in as unequal members is that, while there is obviously short term monetary savings, you end up devaluing the asset to the point that you don't really want it anyway.

CTMike

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction Score
Their self-interest should have been to stick together and get paid in a year for being in a league where any team could win in football and they sent 50% of the schools to the NCAA Tournament. Instead, a few schools escape and everyone else is screwed.

Assume 9 people are standing in a room and all believed they would get $500k in a year if they just stayed in the room. Or, the first 3-4 that left the room would get $500k but everyone else would get shot in the head. Would it be a smart bet to make a run for the door? Because that is pretty much exactly what just happened.

-No, that's not pretty much exactly what happened. Let's not pretend that this is life and death, and that schools that left have blood on their hands or should feel any measure of guilt. They owe no responsibility except to their school and contsituents. They had an option on the table for more money and stability, and they quite reasonably accepted it.

-You seem to imply that you know each schools self interest better than the presidents who are making those actual decisions.

Reaction Score
Well, to some degree it does assume that. Because my guess is Uconn could get entrance into the ACC or even Big Ten tomorrow if it offered to contribute its TV rights to the pool and take nothing else. So, once you start assuming less than equal treatment, then you're just in negotiations. I think all the discussions to date assume Big East schools are going in as equal members. And, the problem with a conference bringing schools in as unequal members is that, while there is obviously short term monetary savings, you end up devaluing the asset to the point that you don't really want it anyway.

That's a good point. I think if UCONN approaches the ACC with an offer like that and is still rebuffed it would be disastrous. The ACC would have to offer that option before I would go down that road. I certainly wouldn't let the public know that was on the table either.

Reaction Score
That's a good point. I think if UCONN approaches the ACC with an offer like that and is still rebuffed it would be disastrous. The ACC would have to offer that option before I would go down that road. I certainly wouldn't let the public know that was on the table either.

I don't think the conferences are looking to do that. It just creates instability and renegotiations. The Big Ten apparently considered it last time around and just dropped it.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
-No, that's not pretty much exactly what happened. Let's not pretend that this is life and death, and that schools that left have blood on their hands or should feel any measure of guilt. They owe no responsibility except to their school and contsituents. They had an option on the table for more money and stability, and they quite reasonably accepted it.

-You seem to imply that you know each schools self interest better than the presidents who are making those actual decisions.

UConn will lose hundreds of millions over the next 10 years from what Pitt and Syracuse did. Scholarships will be lost, and there will be an impact on the university if the football program is forced into CUSA. In financial terms, that is blood on their hands.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
Herbst started working here last April. all of the wheels that were set into motion to "destroy the BE" happened before we were even a full Big East member. what the hell do you think should have happened differently?

i find it odd that you say someone else's only answer is to complain and blast any posters with a constructive idea when all you've done about this is complain that Uconn and Susan Herbst should have done something differently 10 years ago to prevent this, when we weren't even making BE football decisions at that time. all you've said is by letting ourselves get into this position everyone should be fired, and we should start a new conference with Deleware, Temple, UMass and some other nonsense. you want to leave the BE for no other reason than you don't like the situation we've ended up in, even though the alternative conferecne you've proposed would be about a half notch below the MAC.

The Delaware, Temple, Umass post was just acknowledging our current reality. Why is that nonsense? Are we about to get an invitation into the ACC?

RS9999X

There's no Dark Side .....it's all Dark.
Reaction Score
After the SWAC breakup Texas has $150 million in revenues and the Tulane and Rices and SMUs in the $24 mil range

Reaction Score
UConn will lose hundreds of millions over the next 10 years from what Pitt and Syracuse did. Scholarships will be lost, and there will be an impact on the university if the football program is forced into CUSA. In financial terms, that is blood on their hands.

Every time you buy a foreign car, you increase the chances that some union member somewhere in Michigan will be laid off. Do you really consider that blood in your hands? Or are you just exercising your free will to spend your money in the manner that you deem best for you?

Every economic act that any of us takes produces winners and losers. You can't pretend that the Pitt and Syracuse decisions were any different, other than they hurt you. The only way to differentiate is to make a case that they actually breached a duty that they owed to the Big East or its members. But I have yet to see a persuasive argument of that (unless Pitt tanked the Big East's TV negotiations as a part of this, but I have no basis to think that actually happened and I very much doubt it did).

At least, that is common wisdom. I still think it is insane that state institutions, funded with taxpayer dollars, are acting in this manner but I'm clearly spitting into the wind on that.

Reaction Score
never in history has a team coming off a conference championship in football and a national championship in basketball been knocked out of a major conference. UConn is about to make history.

Which major conference is kicking us out?

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
Every time you buy a foreign car, you increase the chances that some union member somewhere in Michigan will be laid off. Do you really consider that blood in your hands? Or are you just exercising your free will to spend your money in the manner that you deem best for you?

Every economic act that any of us takes produces winners and losers. You can't pretend that the Pitt and Syracuse decisions were any different, other than they hurt you. The only way to differentiate is to make a case that they actually breached a duty that they owed to the Big East or its members. But I have yet to see a persuasive argument of that (unless Pitt tanked the Big East's TV negotiations as a part of this, but I have no basis to think that actually happened and I very much doubt it did).

At least, that is common wisdom. I still think it is insane that state institutions, funded with taxpayer dollars, are acting in this manner but I'm clearly spitting into the wind on that.

I could post the sky is blue and you would argue with it. You are wearing me out.

Reaction Score
I could post the sky is blue and you would argue with it. You are wearing me out.

Life's tough. I have an idea -- why don't you start a poll asking whose posts are wearing the board out? I'm perfectly willing to be you a one week absence from posting that it's not me.

And, by the way -- I have agreed with plenty you have said over the years. Why you've walked a plank on this one issue I have no clue.

Reaction Score
You would never do that. You would tell BL that he said the sky is red, and you would then argue with yourself about why it's blue. You are wearing many of us out.

Reaction Score
It is unfortunate where we are today. BE had a chance to add schools right after the first raid. Instead, idiots at Providence decided 8 was good while every other conference was at 10 or 12. By not adding more than Cincy, UL and USF, BE already set the stage to be the weakest BCS conference. I always said years ago BE should have added UCF and ECU to allow them to grow into BCS programs. Many here probably said those are the good programs, but we would be in a different position had BE added those 2 schools to be at 10. Providence kept preaching "value" while sitting on their fat ass doing nothing.

It is a sad day to be an UCONN fan indeed. I just wish someone would throw us a lifeline and get us out of there SOON.

Reaction Score
UCF and ECU would not have made a single bit of difference as to where we are today except that we'd have more remaining teams.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
It is unfortunate where we are today. BE had a chance to add schools right after the first raid. Instead, idiots at Providence decided 8 was good while every other conference was at 10 or 12. By not adding more than Cincy, UL and USF, BE already set the stage to be the weakest BCS conference. I always said years ago BE should have added UCF and ECU to allow them to grow into BCS programs. Many here probably said those are the good programs, but we would be in a different position had BE added those 2 schools to be at 10. Providence kept preaching "value" while sitting on their fat ass doing nothing.

It is a sad day to be an UCONN fan indeed. I just wish someone would throw us a lifeline and get us out of there SOON.

Two things they should have done:

1) The exclusive negotiating period for ESPN was so stupid that it borders on legal malpractice. It tied the league's hands, and the only purpose it served was to let ESPN destroy the league once it knew the Big East would not re-sign with the worldwide leader.

2) The Big East should have done whatever it could to bust the TV agreement a year ago. This is the one big "I told you so" I have in this whole process. That TV agreement was a noose around the conference's neck. It was for peanuts, and the idiots in Providence inexplicably signed a long-term deal when they knew they were getting squeezed. I knew busting that agreement was life and death for the league.

Reaction Score
Eactly, because I read on here from a poster or one that had Herbst gone to the meeting none of this would be happneing now, we'd have a united BE.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
Eactly, because I read on here from a poster or one that had Herbst gone to the meeting none of this would be happneing now, we'd have a united BE.

A bad outcome is no excuse for not even trying to avoid it. Funny how in the flurry of news, Herbst has been really quiet. Beg harder didn't work, and she is out of ideas.

Reaction Score
A bad outcome is no excuse for not even trying to avoid it. Funny how in the flurry of news, Herbst has been really quiet. Beg harder didn't work, and she is out of ideas.

There isn't much she can do. Everything is pretty much out of her control. Our only prayer is waiting for someone to bail us out right now. BE is pretty much done. We either gonna be in CUSA 2.0 or we gonna have to go indy.

Reaction Score
you are such a complete fool, it's no longer funny.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SeaDr

Top Bottom