Big 12 Invites TCU | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Big 12 Invites TCU

Status
Not open for further replies.

zls44

Your #icebus Tour Director
Reaction Score
I think this INCREASES the chances SU and Pitt leave early because there won't be a Big East.

CTMike

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction Score
Looks like "beg harder" isn't working out for UConn.
LOL it's all you can parrot because you can't comprehend schools looking out for their own interests. If only they had put them aside and pledged allegiance! As if that would have made one iota of difference in Big 12 extending an invite and TCU accepting.

Reaction Score
Even with this news, the Big East is still not dead (cue the scene from Monty Python). A conference with Louisville, WVU, UConn, Rutgers, USF, Cincinnati (and whichever random schools you add) still keeps a BCS bid. We will clearly be the worst BCS conference and be picked last in every BCS bowl selection 'draft', but I stil don't think the Big East loses their AQ bid. The BCS does not want to attract that type of attention and focus from the press and politicians.

That being said...please get us out of this hell hole Herbst!!!!

Agreed, losing a school like TCU (that we didn't even currently have and that is a total misfit in the league) doesn't kill the Big East. That being said, get me out of here

UConnSportsGuy

Addicted to all things UCONN!
Reaction Score
I think this INCREASES the chances SU and Pitt leave early because there won't be a Big East.

Why do you say that? Unless the Big 12 takes Cincinnati, Louisville, and WVU...then the Big East survives. I don't think that the Big 12 will do that. They will most likely stay at 10 (add TCU and BYU).

Reaction Score
Agreed, losing a school like TCU (that we didn't even currently have and that is a total misfit in the league) doesn't kill the Big East. That being said, get me out of here

TCU was a bandaid that made sense for no other purpose. So we're what we were, less Pitt and Syracuse. If we replace them wtih Navy and Air Force, or Navy and ECU/UCF, it's the same football conference we had in terms of quality, albeit with lesser hoops and lesser prestige/marketing. But, as a bridge to where we're going, TCU not joining us doesn't end the world. As I said in another post last night, I think you're already seeing that the days of TCU being a Top 10 team are done anyway. It's a good solid program that had one special group of players, a la WVU.

I'm sure my saying that constitues "begging," although for the life of me I can't understand how or why.

Reaction Score

It could go either way. I think the hoops schools could still force them to stick around, but they don't have much incentive to do so.

zls44

Reaction Score
Why do you say that? Unless the Big 12 takes Cincinnati, Louisville, and WVU...then the Big East survives. I don't think that the Big 12 will do that. They will most likely stay at 10 (add TCU and BYU).

Why stay at 10 when you can go to 12 and kill off a major conference by adding even more programs?

UConnSportsGuy

Addicted to all things UCONN!
Reaction Score
Why stay at 10 when you can go to 12 and kill off a major conference by adding even more programs?

Because their current TV contract is for 10 teams. And they got a sweatheart deal in that contract last year. If they stay at 10 teams, their current contract stays the same (and maximizes the revenue for each team). If they go to 12 teams, they will not increase revenue enough to justify the two additions...they will end up making less money per team than if they stay at 10 teams.

Reaction Score
Yes, yes he is. If you had any doubts as to whether he should be taken seriously, I think they have been put to bed.

Nelson has tried to put himself in the enviable position of being validated every time unavoidable events occur. Unfortunately, his counter-factuals are absurd. The reason most sympathize or even agree with Herbst's actions is because any moron could predict what is happening no matter what UCONN does.

Blakeon18

Dormie
Reaction Score
FWIW: maybe it was just spin but I do recall a Big 12 dude saying in recent days that they wanted 10....no more. He said that would avoid a conference play-off game and that would enhance the chances of a Big 12 team getting to the NC game. If that is true, then they go after one more only if Missouri goes elsewhere...it is not at all clear that anyone else wants them [is it?]

Reaction Score
Now things will start moving.

Not so sure. This adds stability to the B12, which I believe makes it less likely that Mizzou leaves.

B12 stays at 10. SEC stays at 13 for a little while to figure things out.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
LOL it's all you can parrot because you can't comprehend schools looking out for their own interests. If only they had put them aside and pledged allegiance! As if that would have made one iota of difference in Big 12 extending an invite and TCU accepting.

Saying there is "nothing we could do" is a sure sign we are doing something wrong.

Reaction Score
Not shocked at all. If I was in charge at TCU, I would have done the same exact thing. The Big East is just a huge risk right now, if your school can escape to another AQ conference, you get the hell out.

IMind

Wildly Inaccurate
Reaction Score
Holy misreading of the situation batman...

This is actually good news for the Big East as it currently stands. It means that teams are much less likely to jump ship. I still don't know why people think that the Big 12 is in a hurry to add WVU. Again and again this isn't about the actual quality of the football team... or well.. it's about 9th on the list of reasons to add a school.

Louisville I could see... decent market... very profitable team. Had good football teams in recent memory, better than most of the Big 12 basketball teams. Travel isn't that absurd.

I still think the Big 12 IF it expands more stays west: Nevada, BYU, possibly even one more Texas school.

zls44

Reaction Score
This is actually good news for the Big East as it currently stands. It means that teams are much less likely to jump ship.

Oh, so the Big East is going to be a six-team football conference? Or grow in numbers but decrease HEAVILY in perception (which isn't very high to begin with) by adding diploma mills/football minnows ECU and UCF?

Reaction Score
Saying there is "nothing we could do" is a sure sign we are doing something wrong.
Only if you accept the premise that all the Big East needed to save itself was the Big East (or Susan Herbst). If you haven't noticed, you're essentially the only one on planet earth that believes that.

It baffles me how someone could honestly believe, and repeatedly argue, that TCU, Cuse, Pitt, and whoever is next, wouldn't be leaving the Big East if Susan Herbst just asked them to stay.

Reaction Score
The same CBS reporter who tweeted they were going says if Mizzou stays, the Big 12 very likely stays at 10 with TCU.

IMind

Wildly Inaccurate
Reaction Score
Oh, so the Big East is going to be a six-team football conference? Or grow in numbers but decrease HEAVILY in perception (which isn't very high to begin with) by adding diploma mills/football minnows ECU and UCF?
Honestly, wtf else is there? You work to improve the Big East the best you can... while holding out hope for a ACC/Big 10 invite... that's about it. The BCS bid isn't going anywhere... There are really two options, split from the basketball schools, and add a couple of schools... or stay with the Big East basketball schools and add a couple of schools. It sucks but what else is supposed to happen?

I don't like it either...

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
Only if you accept the premise that all the Big East needed to save itself was the Big East (or Susan Herbst). If you haven't noticed, you're essentially the only one on planet earth that believes that.

It baffles me how someone could honestly believe, and repeatedly argue, that TCU, Cuse, Pitt, and whoever is next, wouldn't be leaving the Big East if Susan Herbst just asked them to stay.

It wasn't just Herbst that got us here. It was a team effort among the Big East presidents. But Herbst can control her own actions, and those actions have been destructive to the league and to UConn. In the end, maybe there was nothing anyone could do to keep UConn from being a member of CUSA North. But her plan had no chance of success. Any investment banker would tell her you can't sell a company by saying "pretty please". UConn's athletic department is a company, and Herbst didn't get it sold.

When UConn is coming off a BCS bowl and a basketball national championship in the wealthiest state in the country, and we will be one of maybe 3 or 4 current BCS schools that end up on the outside on this round of realignment, I am inclined to say someone screwed up.

zls44

Reaction Score
The BCS bid isn't going anywhere

Until they remove the cap on conference BCS teams. And vote 5-1 against the Big East having an autobid.

Reaction Score
It wasn't just Herbst that got us here. It was a team effort among the Big East presidents. But Herbst can control her own actions, and those actions have been destructive to the league and to UConn. In the end, maybe there was nothing anyone could do to keep UConn from being a member of CUSA North. But her plan had no chance of success. Any investment banker would tell her you can't sell a company by saying "pretty please". UConn's athletic department is a company, and Herbst didn't get it sold.

When UConn is coming off a BCS bowl and a basketball national championship in the wealthiest state in the country, and we will be one of maybe 3 or 4 current BCS schools that end up on the outside on this round of realignment, I am inclined to say someone screwed up.

I wasn't aware that the decision was made that UConn will never be invited to a different BCS conference. Who/what is your source?

Once again if you're going to argue about wealth, you know that it's not about how much money you have, but what you are willing to spend it on.

If all that mattered was market size, rather than market share, then Rutgers would have gotten an invite to the Big 10 over Nebraska. I don't know why that's hard for you to accept considering how much you talk about market studies.

Reaction Score
you can't sell a company by saying "pretty please".

Objection. Assumes facts not in evidence.

*keep in mind that I agree with you that the public statements and leaks were a bad idea.

IMind

Wildly Inaccurate
Reaction Score
Until they remove the cap on conference BCS teams. And vote 5-1 against the Big East having an autobid.
And the storm that happens to the BCS when that occurs? You're much more likely to see another BCS game added. The BCS is a house of cards at this point with all the crap that the organizing committees have been up to. They can't afford the scrutiny doing that would incur... the BCS isn't getting LESS inclusive.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score

You got to lighten up. We get that everything sucks right now. You don't have some special insight into that fact that no one else has.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom