Big 12 Invites TCU | Page 5 | The Boneyard

Big 12 Invites TCU

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Looks like BC made the correct move a few years ago.

Sorry -- your premises are not proof of your conclusion. Had BC, Miami and VPI stood pat, it is quite possible none of this would be happening today.

Your conclusion is akin to someone pulling a gun out of their belt, shooting everyone on the other side of the room and then saying "thank goodness I'm smart enough to be on this side of the room." The statement is literally true, but it ignores laws of cause and effect.

Reaction Score
A bad outcome is no excuse for not even trying to avoid it. Funny how in the flurry of news, Herbst has been really quiet. Beg harder didn't work, and she is out of ideas.
So when she was in the media talking about UConn's interest, she was employing the "beg harder" approach as you've labled it, and that was wrong. Now that she's not in the media talking about UConn's interest (when nothing official has been announced), she is out of ideas. Hmmm. Damned if she does, damned if she don't I guess.

Reaction Score
Sorry -- your premises are not proof of your conclusion. Had BC, Miami and VPI stood pat, it is quite possible none of this would be happening today.

Your conclusion is akin to someone pulling a gun out of their belt, shooting everyone on the other side of the room and then saying "thank goodness I'm smart enough to be on this side of the room." The statement is literally true, but it ignores laws of cause and effect.

I disagree, conference realignment was happening. ESPN and TV money was driving this process. BC, VT and Miami had better insight or got lucky.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
A bad outcome is no excuse for not even trying to avoid it. Funny how in the flurry of news, Herbst has been really quiet. Beg harder didn't work, and she is out of ideas.

Correction, it didn't work yet. As far as we know. Just like, 24 hours ago, TCU didn't have a place in a stable ongoing BCS conference and now it does. The TCU defection does nothing but validate the premise she has been working under: the Big East as a football conference is dead and is past saving. As such, she has acted accordingly, and may well have positioned us as a candidate for another conference. We don't really know. Nor do the talking heads in the media.

Reaction Score
The loss of TCU is critical as far as the BE continuing as an AQ conference. Right now the BE has a bid for its conference champion but when the BCS rules are revisited in 2012 0r 2013 you can be sure that some sort of minimum conference performance standard will be considered and likely adopted. Meaning if a conference wants an AQ their champion will have to have a certain rank, or the average rank of conference teams will have to be at a certain level, etc., that sort of thing. TCU was the team whose recent performance would have met most of those criteria for the BE. Without them the next best team is WVU and they may not be enough and may be gone too. By adopting a standard for all conferences the BE can lose its AQ and the BCS can say that they did not strip the BE of its auto bid because the BE just did not qualify.

Reaction Score
The loss of TCU is critical as far as the BE continuing as an AQ conference. Right now the BE has a bid for its conference champion but when the BCS rules are revisited in 2012 0r 2013 you can be sure that some sort of minimum conference performance standard will be considered and likely adopted. Meaning if a conference wants an AQ their champion will have to have a certain rank, or the average rank of conference teams will have to be at a certain level, etc., that sort of thing. TCU was the team whose recent performance would have met most of those criteria for the BE. Without them the next best team is WVU and they may not be enough and may be gone too. By adopting a standard for all conferences the BE can lose its AQ and the BCS can say that they did not strip the BE of its auto bid because the BE just did not qualify.

I believe most of us are well aware of that. That is, if there is still a BE football conference. UCONN needs a lifeline right now. I sure hope our president is doing her best to pull us out of this mess. If BE blows up, I can see some massive lawsuit looming somewhere.

UConnSportsGuy

Addicted to all things UCONN!
Reaction Score
If BE blows up, I can see some massive lawsuit looming somewhere.

And honestly, that alone may be enough for us to find a seat in the ACC.

The last thing that the BCS and ESPN need is a public lawsuit and them having to go through the discovery process with high paid lawyers digging through their every move. In the long run, it is probably more favorable for the conferences to divy up the majority of the Big East among themselves than face a potential lawsuit for a few leftover program with nothing to lose. They probably don't lose the lawsuit...but it isn't worth the risk for them.

Reaction Score
and if the BE loses one more FB school, no more conference per a post on the WVU board

Rule 31.3.4.2 states that to maintain a conference, you must:

(a) Have at least six active members that sponsor the applicable sport in any division (note: a provisional member in the process of becoming an NCAA member cannot be used to meet the requisite number);
(b) The six active members must have conducted conference competition together for the preceding two years in the applicable sport;
(c) There shall be no waivers of the two-year waiting period; and
(d) Any new member added to a conference that is eligible for an automatic bid shall be immediately eligible to represent the conference as the automatic qualifer.

UConnSportsGuy

Reaction Score
and if the BE loses one more FB school, no more conference per a post on the WVU board

Rule 31.3.4.2 states that to maintain a conference, you must:

(a) Have at least six active members that sponsor the applicable sport in any division (note: a provisional member in the process of becoming an NCAA member cannot be used to meet the requisite number);
(b) The six active members must have conducted conference competition together for the preceding two years in the applicable sport;
(c) There shall be no waivers of the two-year waiting period; and
(d) Any new member added to a conference that is eligible for an automatic bid shall be immediately eligible to represent the conference as the automatic qualifer.

That is exactly why Syracuse and Pittsburgh are going nowhere anytime soon. If you add a few schools for the next two years while Syracuse and Pitt are stuck in the Big East, then they will qualify for the '2 years in the league' clause when Pitt and Syracuse eventually leave.

Reaction Score
The Delaware, Temple, Umass post was just acknowledging our current reality. Why is that nonsense? Are we about to get an invitation into the ACC?

i don't think we're ever going to get an invite to the ACC, but that doesn't mean we need to try to create the crappiest conference we can and then join it. Several of the teams you mentioned weren't even 1A, how do you expect this conference to match even the MAC in terms of prestige?

Reaction Score
OK ... my turn.

There is nothing to do but wait for Blue Skies. (or as we heard earlier: "Keep Choppin'" ... yuck)

I will NOT castigate President Herbst for her action. And I truly don't think it had much effect on anything. Remember the hand-wringing by Pitt & Syracuse in 2004. Today? Yeah ... we suffered through a long long period that they yearned to be in their GREATER conference. And they left; that wasn't a surprise to me.

Let's remember what USF & Louisville & Cincinnati are today (UL was solid back in 2004 though) ... even UConn ... and Rutgers. I think the BCS league & the great opportunity made all of us far better BCS & Football Programs. I think we got better all through the athletic department (in spite of Hathaway). I do think we should have expanded to 50k when Rutgers & Louisville did (WHY? cause the money was flowing). A UCF and a Temple COULD rise dramatically.

TCU got to where they desired.

And because we have the BCS designation for a few years (and that's cause we are keeping Pitt & SU), we can elevate a few others. WE need to stop all the Iraqi style chest-bloody activity. What freaking options do we have? We play the hand that we have. We could not have elbowed out Syracuse or Pitt from the ACC; they have a far better platform than us in FOOTBALL. They trumped us ... and they were always more devious than the Nutmeg State people.

Having said that ... I think the ACC continues to make market decisions. They do these deals for TV numbers. And, simply getting out of their recently executed contract ... destroying the BE ... and going to a new negotiation is why this was done. NOT that they like SU or Pitt. OR think they are great academic institutions. What a crock!. This was simply a money grab ... cause they saw the Pac 12 contract.

UCONN? I think we just win another National Championship in Hoop. Win Men's Soccer. Win Womens BB again. Keep on trucking on. Build the stadium & build the fanbase (which I believe could dwarf SU & BC ... as could Rutgers). I really despise those that call this CUSA North ... and I don't care if it's gonna be near true ... it's that defeatism that should have left these few wallowing after Pearl Harbor & every other catastrophic incident. We can push forward. It might take us time; maybe the 7 years it took the RATS from Central NY ... and their panther friends.

Reaction Score
UConn will lose hundreds of millions over the next 10 years from what Pitt and Syracuse did. Scholarships will be lost, and there will be an impact on the university if the football program is forced into CUSA. In financial terms, that is blood on their hands.

This shtz is brutal. Heavy weight training to quell my anger is not working anymore. I need to kick sombody's to gain some levity. But then i would go to jail. I wish i were an NHLer where fist fighting is allowed and embraced and the enemy consisted of: espn execs, darryl gross, pedersen, espn execs, anybody in the acc, herbst's and cantor's husbands as their proxies, espn execs and pencil nosed sissys at providence, seton hall, georgetown and alike that feel they should have just a much clot as a D1 football program. Get in a line and I will take you one at a time.

Waylon, did I overlook anybody?

Damn the is f up

CTMike

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction Score
This shtz is brutal. Heavy weight training to quell my anger is not working anymore. I need to kick sombody's to gain some levity. But then i would go to jail. I wish i were an NHLer where fist fighting is allowed and embraced and the enemy consisted of: espn execs, darryl gross, pedersen, espn execs, anybody in the acc, herbst's and cantor's husbands as their proxies, espn execs and pencil nosed sissys at providence, seton hall, georgetown and alike that feel they should have just a much clot as a D1 football program. Get in a line and I will take you one at a time.

Damn the is f up
I think you may be taking "Solve your problems with aggression" a little too literally.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score

Damn the is f up

Eh, Seton Hall, GTown and the boys didn't do anything. The rest of the list is solid though.

Reaction Score
UConn will lose hundreds of millions over the next 10 years from what Pitt and Syracuse did. Scholarships will be lost, and there will be an impact on the university if the football program is forced into CUSA. In financial terms, that is blood on their hands.

Ayn Rand just rolled over

CTMike

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction Score

UConnSportsGuy

Reaction Score
according to this link the BE waived the 27 months for SU and Pitt http://leatherhelmetblog.com/2011-articles/october/source-eers-are-in.html

Consider the source.

There is no way that the Big East is letting Pitt and Syracuse leave early now unless all of the Big East teams find homes first. They need the 2 years of Pitt and Syracuse in the league to re-establish the minimum team requirements for the NCAA conference guidlines. If the Big East did grant them rights to leave early, then I am convinced that this has all been orchestrated by someone else and there is some illegal back-room dealing going on behind the scenes. Because there is absolutely no incentive for the Big East to let Syracuse and Pitt walk early!

Reaction Score
The only way for SU and PITT to leave the BE early is if rest of the BE schools find homes. At that point, it is better to let everyone go at once vs. forcing the 27 months waiting period. Let's hope there is a home for rest of the schools so we can all move on and let BB only schools be a basketball conference for good.

Reaction Score
I think you may be taking "Solve your problems with aggression" a little too literally.

If he's trying to follow the "solve your problems with aggression" mantra, I would suggest whoever is in a room with him simply run a pass pattern. They'll get away.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom