OT: - Best Pizza in CT | Page 261 | The Boneyard

OT: Best Pizza in CT

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
My family that grew up going to Pepe's, Sally's and Palm Beach Pizza are now thoroughly devoted to Ernie's. It has quite the following too since it's difficult to get a seat. I'm still partial to Zuppardi's myself.
Up until recently, I lived for nearly a decade in Westville, the neighborhood where Ernie's is. Over time, I grew to appreciate the experience of Ernie's son Pat making me a pizza. He is ever-friendly, flexible in allowing mixtures of topping across halves (and even quadrants), willing to start a last-minutes takeout pie while waitstaff is cleaning up the dining area. I think of him as a skilled bread maker. The crusts are thicker and the pizzas are cheesier than my other favorites. Having the same person make each pie personalizes things. I grew into a fan. Every neighborhoof should be so fortunate as to have a place like Ernie's.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Heading to Northern Virginia this week. Will give the new Pepe's in Alexandria a try.

So, got the tomato pie and a sausage pie delivered to hotel.

Short story long, I probably could have uber'd it and eaten on site but the idea was to get some stuff done for work and have pizza delivered. I'm by myself but order had to be $25 or greater for delivery so it was two 12" pies. Leftovers are in fridge and will be eaten tonight watching basketball.

So, partial review. Pizzas looked great. Loved the fact that when ordering online I had to acknowledge a pop up stating I know the tomato pie comes without any mozzarella. It was delivery so I knew it wouldn't be piping hot and I'd lose some crispiness. All that being said, it's the crust. It's always the crust. A perfect crunch on the outside and a nice chewy center needing some pull from the teeth. The sauce was perfectly good and the sausage slices were good as well but nothing outstanding.

Is it as good as the original? No. Definitely not when delivered. But if you are in the DC area, there's a store in Bethesda and one in Alexandria. It will give you enough nostalgia and fulfill your cravings for the original.

Reaction Score
Try Good Old Days in Newtown! Wood fired with a nice char.

Finally made it tonight. This place is awesome. The thicker crust square pie is unique to this area and they have a top notch red sauce. And I’m a sucker for the ‘roni “cups.” Good beer too, especially if you aren’t strictly into IPA’s. I don’t see many restaurants serving OEC. The bartender told me the owner previously opened Stanziatos in Danbury.

Reaction Score
Picked up my first margarita pie from Magic 5 Pizza Co. in East Norwalk.

Too beautiful not to have a slice before the drive home.

IMG_1484.jpg

But I lie, the crust held its form so well that I hammered four slices during my nine minute drive home...gave me a new appreciation for red lights and I-95 traffic.

Happy Friday y'all.

dvegas

Duck Fuke
Reaction Score
34500.jpeg

Lunch today and dinner and snacks for the next few. Pepes Fairfield red pie with mootz, fresh garlic. Light bake. I finish on my pizza stone. Uncut is the key. I'm reeking of garlic

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
View attachment 80838

Lunch today and dinner and snacks for the next few. Pepes Fairfield red pie with mootz, fresh garlic. Light bake. I finish on my pizza stone. Uncut is the key. I'm reeking of garlic
Why the scissors?

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
Why the scissors?
Scissors are great for cutting pizza. Even out of the oven. My mother does it and I've been doing it for years.

FfldCntyFan

Reaction Score
Scissors are great for cutting pizza. Even out of the oven. My mother does it and I've been doing it for years.
It was a bit of an inside joke. Vegas & I are buddies. Also, I've seen scissors used to cut pizza in a number of spots in Italy.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
It was a bit of an inside joke. Vegas & I are buddies. Also, I've seen scissors used to cut pizza in a number of spots in Italy.
Oh yeah? Well...;)

Reaction Score
Played 18 at Blue Fox in Avon CT yesterday and we went for a few cold ones after to Da Capo in town. Ordered a couple pies it was excellent. Nicely flavored sauce up to New Haven par and thin/charred crust. I would recommend to stop if I’m that area.

Reaction Score
Played 18 at Blue Fox in Avon CT yesterday and we went for a few cold ones after to Da Capo in town. Ordered a couple pies it was excellent. Nicely flavored sauce up to New Haven par and thin/charred crust. I would recommend to stop if I’m that area.
FYI..1 mile up RT 44 in Avon from Da Capo.. To go pie--E and D Pizza.. Chef/Owner has been recognized as part of World Champions Pizza Group..

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
FYI..1 mile up RT 44 in Avon from Da Capo.. To go pie--E and D Pizza.. Chef/Owner has been recognized as part of World Champions Pizza Group..
Maybe they're good, maybe they're not, but soon as I saw Nick Bogacz was involved as VP of WCPG, I wouldn't put much stock in that org. They run "championships" which really have zip to do with what's on the menu at their shops. It's an exhibition. Nick's places here in Pittsburgh are simply awful, even though they have numerous awards. They even use conveyor ovens.

Reaction Score

Thanks for the call.

Reaction Score
Maybe they're good, maybe they're not, but soon as I saw Nick Bogacz was involved as VP of WCPG, I wouldn't put much stock in that org. They run "championships" which really have zip to do with what's on the menu at their shops. It's an exhibition. Nick's places here in Pittsburgh are simply awful, even though they have numerous awards. They even use conveyor ovens.
Same thing here in Stamford near your old stomping grounds. The dude who bought Amore on Hope Street in Springdale, Bruno Di Fabio, is a six-time World Pizza Champion. He’s in jail now for tax evasion and wire fraud, but even before that, his pizza was solid, but not memorable.

FfldCntyFan

Reaction Score
Same thing here in Stamford near your old stomping grounds. The dude who bought Amore on Hope Street in Springdale, Bruno Di Fabio, is a six-time World Pizza Champion. He’s in jail now for tax evasion and wire fraud, but even before that, his pizza was solid, but not memorable.
Lived within walking distance of Amore in the early 1990's and at the time they were as good as any pizza place within 20 miles. They were still pretty good the only other time I was there (~8 years ago) but not the same.

Read up on the charges on the tax evasion when that became public. Some people for whatever reason start thinking they're too smart to get caught doing something very foolish.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
Lived within walking distance of Amore in the early 1990's and at the time they were as good as any pizza place within 20 miles. They were still pretty good the only other time I was there (~8 years ago) but not the same.

Read up on the charges on the tax evasion when that became public. Some people for whatever reason start thinking they're too smart to get caught doing something very foolish.
Dang, we were almost neighbors. I lived up off Clearview. Amore was walkable, but you didn't want to walk back up those hills, lol.

HuskyWarrior611

Mid range white knight
Reaction Score
So, got the tomato pie and a sausage pie delivered to hotel.

Short story long, I probably could have uber'd it and eaten on site but the idea was to get some stuff done for work and have pizza delivered. I'm by myself but order had to be $25 or greater for delivery so it was two 12" pies. Leftovers are in fridge and will be eaten tonight watching basketball.

So, partial review. Pizzas looked great. Loved the fact that when ordering online I had to acknowledge a pop up stating I know the tomato pie comes without any mozzarella. It was delivery so I knew it wouldn't be piping hot and I'd lose some crispiness. All that being said, it's the crust. It's always the crust. A perfect crunch on the outside and a nice chewy center needing some pull from the teeth. The sauce was perfectly good and the sausage slices were good as well but nothing outstanding.

Is it as good as the original? No. Definitely not when delivered. But if you are in the DC area, there's a store in Bethesda and one in Alexandria. It will give you enough nostalgia and fulfill your cravings for the original.
Yup I live in the area and had my gf try it to show her how good New Haven pizza is and she loved it. Definitely felt good to have a little piece of home out here. Still have to find a way to get her the real #1 in Modern soon though.

Reaction Score
I am not a pizza guru.. I've been to both places in Avon.. The pizza works for me. You guys obviously do a way deeper dive than me on this stuff. I'll leave it to you..You're the experts.

FfldCntyFan

Reaction Score
Dang, we were almost neighbors. I lived up off Clearview. Amore was walkable, but you didn't want to walk back up those hills, lol.
Columbus Place

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
I am not a pizza guru.. I've been to both places in Avon.. The pizza works for me. You guys obviously do a way deeper dive than me on this stuff. I'll leave it to you..You're the experts.
People like what they like. I was simply pointing out that that pizza group and any awards associated with it are good for promotion but in many cases have no bearing on the quality of the pizza actually being served.

Reaction Score
People like what they like. I was simply pointing out that that pizza group and any awards associated with it are good for promotion but in many cases have no bearing on the quality of the pizza actually being served.
In this particular case.. This place has received awards for seven consecutive years as one of the top pizza places in greater Hartford County as voted by consumers. The chef is a standup guy active in youth sports as a coach. Thought @mauconnfan would want to know about it for his next golf trip to the Simsbury/Avon area.

Reaction Score
In this particular case.. This place has received awards for seven consecutive years as one of the top pizza places in greater Hartford County as voted by consumers. The chef is a standup guy active in youth sports as a coach. Thought @mauconnfan would want to know about it for his next golf trip to the Simsbury/Avon area.

Good stuff thank you!

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom