OT: - Best Pizza in CT | Page 233 | The Boneyard

OT: Best Pizza in CT

Reaction Score
I’m a fan of Hawaiian pizza, with jalapeños or cherry peppers. I like the “heat and sweet” effect of the peppers and pineapple, and the ham/bacon/Spam/Canadian bacon (my preference) adds some nice smoke/umami.

Certainly not a traditional pie; but, like salad pie, I only care about the taste. And when they are done well, they taste good to me.
I was being a wise with the “ travesty” comment. My parents and their fri3nds used to play cards usually over our house and they would order Hawaiian pizza thinking it was exotic. Hey they were that WWII generation so us kids cut them some slack. The adults gave us money for movies and candy. One of the dads would drive us kids to to Elmwood theater in WH being almost walking distance and adults enjoyed their pizza and cards. Win win .

Reaction Score
Went to Modern Pizza a couple of weeks ago and ordered the white clam. Was terrible!!! The crust and clams were good but the cheese was too thick and gooey for my liking.
Best thing about Modern is the Italian Bomb. If you're going to Modern that's what you need to be ordering.

I’m a fan of Hawaiian pizza, with jalapeños or cherry peppers. I like the “heat and sweet” effect of the peppers and pineapple, and the ham/bacon/Spam/Canadian bacon (my preference) adds some nice smoke/umami.

Certainly not a traditional pie; but, like salad pie, I only care about the taste. And when they are done well, they taste good to me.
That's the best thing about Matt/Melissa at Bufalina. They aren't going to make a Hawaiian pie, and I'm ok with that, but they will bring all sorts of new flavors and ingredients to their specials that are always well thought out. And pizza should be like that, a combination of tradition and experimentation. That's the biggest thing separating them from others for me.

Reaction Score
Spiral Stairs is still there; right next to Plunge. My tracker says I skied them both but I thought I only skied Plunge, Bushwhacker and See Forever/Look Out off the Plunge Chair (Lift 9). Loved all of those; great, long runs with steep pitches and incredible views.

There are lots of trails with ”chute” in the name but I don’t recall one just called “The Chute.” Likewise, lots of names with “silver,” but I don’t recall “Silverado.” Silvercloud off Revelation Bowl was quite a thrill though.

There is an Allais Alley and an Apex, but I don’t remember Ajax Alley. Nor K2 that I recall.

Saw lots of amazing skiers there, and fewer snowboarders than at most mountains these days, which was good with me. I don’t like skiing around a lot of snowboarders. Their moves are less predictable and they usually take up a lot more of the mountain (and push a lot more snow off it). And they lie down everywhere. Love watching them compete at the highest levels though.
Yes, The Plunge! Spiral Stairs and The Plunge are so great. Knees will take a beating though. Allais Alley is what I was thinking of, that and Zulu Queen. See Forever is great.

I used to have a shirt with the map and all the trails/runs on it. Wish I hung on to that.

Reaction Score
Interesting, really not a fan of Hawaiian pizza however I do like the thought of "heat & sweet" going on. Who would you recommend for this pie?

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Interesting, really not a fan of Hawaiian pizza however I do like the thought of "heat & sweet" going on. Who would you recommend for this pie?
My wife (then-girlfriend) and I first “discovered” that combo at the old Harry’s on Farmington Ave. when she was a waitress there around 30 years ago. I haven’t had a Harry’s pizza in many years and I have no idea who is involved anymore or even where they are located, so I don’t know how reliable they’d be.

These days we usually get it from Grand Apizza once in a blue moon. Our oldest daughter really likes the combo so it’s usually when she is home, or when we have pizza dinner at the beach in the summer.

Reaction Score
My wife (then-girlfriend) and I first “discovered” that combo at the old Harry’s on Farmington Ave. when she was a waitress there around 30 years ago. I haven’t had a Harry’s pizza in many years and I have no idea who is involved anymore or even where they are located, so I don’t know how reliable they’d be.

These days we usually get it from Grand Apizza once in a blue moon. Our oldest daughter really likes the combo so it’s usually when she is home, or when we have pizza dinner at the beach in the summer.
Nice! I live in the Hartford area and there is a Harry's Pizza located in the Bishops corner area of West Hartford. I believe it's the same one. If not I know they make very good pies. Grand in Clinton also a possiblity since I travel quite a bit. Will give them a try. Cherry peppers on the 1st go around. Mahalo iā 'oe

Reaction Score

-> Zuppardi's Apizza is opening its new Ansonia takeout restaurant on Feb. 2, the West Haven pizzeria announced on social media Wednesday.

The location at 58 Beaver Street, called Zuppardi's Slice Shop and Takeout Apizza, will serve whole pizzas, salads, meatball and sausage sandwiches, minestrone and garlic bread, with housemade biscotti and Libby's Italian ice for dessert. Pizza slices will be available Wednesday through Saturday until 3 p.m. <-

Reaction Score
Went to Modern Pizza a couple of weeks ago and ordered the white clam. Was terrible!!! The crust and clams were good but the cheese was too thick and gooey for my liking.
Modern is a very "wet" pie. Loads of flavor, but very different than Pepe's and Sally's.

Reaction Score
See a lot of hardcore NH people raving about Fantini’s in Stuart Florida. Right down to Foxon Park soda.
Portnoy liked it.

I know a lot of people can't stand him (and I can certainly understand why!) but you need to watch this just to see what he says about New Haven and Sally's. He's had a lot of pizza all around the country so I do put some weight on his opinion on pizza.

Last edited:
Reaction Score

“Sally's offers three-packs of its pies for $99, which are shipped frozen with ice packs. Three varieties are available: sauce with mozzarella, pepperoni and white potato and rosemary. There's also a sampler with one of each. Heating instructions are included.”

Reaction Score

“Sally's offers three-packs of its pies for $99, which are shipped frozen with ice packs. Three varieties are available: sauce with mozzarella, pepperoni and white potato and rosemary. There's also a sampler with one of each. Heating instructions are included.”

I’ve tried the zuppardis’ and was not hugely impressed. I could taste the flavor that I remember from eating there frequently in the 70s and 80s, but just barely.

Even though I prefer Pepe’s, I’m gonna have to give this a shot. Gotta be better than anything we have around here.

Reaction Score
I’ve tried the zuppardis’ and was not hugely impressed. I could taste the flavor that I remember from eating there frequently in the 70s and 80s, but just barely.

Even though I prefer Pepe’s, I’m gonna have to give this a shot. Gotta be better than anything we have around here.
I may send some as gifts but $99 for 3 smalls even with shipping is ridiculous. Especially since you can‘t customize them

Reaction Score
Do you guys know how lucky we have been in Connecticut for over a hundred years to be able to argue about which pizza place in Connecticut has the best pizza? When I was in the Air Force in the latter 60’s ( +) I was sentenced to serve in states that dungeons and pizza wastelands- Texas, Missippi, South Carolina, Virginia and the USAF are sure that I got almost terminal dose of piza wasteland it added South Vietnam to my menu.

While in Virginia a friend of mine had family in Baltimore who owned a piza shop so a few of us occasionally traveled into the civilized “North Country “ for almost “pizza”. They were of Greek lineage so the pizza was second place as compared to Italian lineage pizza we can get inConnecticut. In Myrtle Beach SC ( yes there once was an Air Force base there ) a lonely Greek guy opened up pizza / grinder shop. It was barely ok and one time his pepperoni supply was late he substituted Genoa salami. Us airmen and Midwest golfers and vacationers kept his business alive. Back in those days our Rebel brethren did not know jack about pizza. Texas and issippi was a total wasteland regarding pizza. New Orleans back then the island of civilization in a sea of vandals had an Italian minority so off of the French Quarter there were some good Italian restaurants.

I just could not find a pizza place in Vietnam……not even take out…you think because it was down South…...LOL

Reaction Score
F6951132-C324-4A4A-A6E2-A2640530D1AE.jpeg

Willington Pizza last night before my overnight stay at Graduate Hotel (highly recommend). Their red potato pie was on point! Their wine bottles were 50% off, so used that savings for a bigger tip. I freakin’ love that place.

As mentioned in my other thread, we went to Blaze for a night cap, but they messed up our order twice. Blessing in disguise though, got to chat w Freemantle on the elevator ride down to go back to Blaze and then got to wait in line with Andre Jackson at Blaze.

Now, a few hours to kill before tip off. So excited to be on campus! It’s my first time since the Florida game.

Reaction Score
View attachment 73475

Willington Pizza last night before my overnight stay at Graduate Hotel (highly recommend). Their red potato pie was on point! Their wine bottles were 50% off, so the pies, wine and salad all came out to like $60.

As mentioned in my other thread, we went to Blaze for a night cap, but they messed up our order twice. Blessing in disguise though, got to chat w Freemantle on the elevator ride down to go back to Blaze and then got to wait in line with Andre Jackson at Blaze.

Now, a few hours to kill before tip off. So excited to be on campus! It’s my first time since the Florida game.
Willi Pie is always good. Not like New Haven good, but certainly tasty and enjoyable when you are in that part of the state.

Reaction Score
Tony's Pizza in Willimantic!

Actually, I'm sure that place is long gone, but that was the family place growing up and I remember it fondly. I was 14 before I knew that pizza doesn't usually have little crustless squares
I must be the only person who can't stand sally's pizza.
I’m not crazy about it either. Every time we pick our daughter from the train station I’m forced to go there. Don’t care for thin crust.

Reaction Score
I watched the game on vaca in Florida. Anyone know of any great pizza places in the Clearwater/Remington area?

Reaction Score
Had total knee replacement surgery on 2/7 so I’ve been pretty much stuck at home and bored. Friend came by to visit and my wife said she also brought you a present, do you want it? I was like sure. She went into the kitchen and came back with a Sally’s box and inside was my absolute favorite pizza, The Garden Special. Don’t think a pizza ever tasted so good, it really hit the spot. That was a nice surprise!

Reaction Score
I watched the game on vaca in Florida. Anyone know of any great pizza places in the Clearwater/Remington area?
My sister is in Florida and just raved about Gianni’s pizza in St. Petersburg. She was in Texas for over 10 years prior to FL and has been looking for something good because she lived in CT before that. She admits it is not New Haven level but is excited to have better pizza.
273441993_10226614981071109_2665387285284751336_n.jpg

StllH8L8ner

You’ll get nothing and like it!
Reaction Score
Do you guys know how lucky we have been in Connecticut for over a hundred years to be able to argue about which pizza place in Connecticut has the best pizza? When I was in the Air Force in the latter 60’s ( +) I was sentenced to serve in states that dungeons and pizza wastelands- Texas, Missippi, South Carolina, Virginia and the USAF are sure that I got almost terminal dose of piza wasteland it added South Vietnam to my menu.

While in Virginia a friend of mine had family in Baltimore who owned a piza shop so a few of us occasionally traveled into the civilized “North Country “ for almost “pizza”. They were of Greek lineage so the pizza was second place as compared to Italian lineage pizza we can get inConnecticut. In Myrtle Beach SC ( yes there once was an Air Force base there ) a lonely Greek guy opened up pizza / grinder shop. It was barely ok and one time his pepperoni supply was late he substituted Genoa salami. Us airmen and Midwest golfers and vacationers kept his business alive. Back in those days our Rebel brethren did not know jack about pizza. Texas and issippi was a total wasteland regarding pizza. New Orleans back then the island of civilization in a sea of vandals had an Italian minority so off of the French Quarter there were some good Italian restaurants.

I just could not find a pizza place in Vietnam……not even take out…you think because it was down South…...LOL
This is true…you don’t appreciate it until you can’t have it anytime you want. Relocated to eastern PA a couple of years back and I haven’t found a pizza that comes close to any of the places in New Haven so I’ve actually considered dropping the $100 to have some delivered here frozen. I’ll also add that nothing here comes close to a bacon, egg and cheese from Country Cow in Fairfield either but that’s for another thread…

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom