OT: - Best Pizza in CT | Page 234 | The Boneyard

OT: Best Pizza in CT

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
This is true…you don’t appreciate it until you can’t have it anytime you want. Relocated to eastern PA a couple of years back and I haven’t found a pizza that comes close to any of the places in New Haven so I’ve actually considered dropping the $100 to have some delivered here frozen. I’ll also add that nothing here comes close to a bacon, egg and cheese from Country Cow in Fairfield either but that’s for another thread…
Search for it. That thread exists.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
I had my first LG Red Pot - Both from Willi just last Monday. I loved it and will get it again.

Reaction Score
Tried Locali in New Canaan last night and was pleasantly surprised. It was exceptional.

It's mostly a take-out spot, but there is a small bar area and about eight tables to make for a decent date/small family spot.

Started with a kale, orange and pistachio vinaigrette salad along with a shaved cauliflower along w/ medjool dates, cashews and white balsamic. We kept the kale vibe going with a kale-almond pesto pizza topped with mozz, lemon and crispy kale.

No doubt, it's fancy pizza, but if you sub out our drinks, the meal was about $45, so reasonably priced especially for New Canaan. Everything was excellent. This place is definitely a contender for our regular pizza spot along with Colony.

Reaction Score
Tried Locali in New Canaan last night and was pleasantly surprised. It was exceptional.

It's mostly a take-out spot, but there is a small bar area and about eight tables to make for a decent date/small family spot.

Started with a kale, orange and pistachio vinaigrette salad along with a shaved cauliflower along w/ medjool dates, cashews and white balsamic. We kept the kale vibe going with a kale-almond pesto pizza topped with mozz, lemon and crispy kale.

No doubt, it's fancy pizza, but if you sub out our drinks, the meal was about $45, so reasonably priced especially for New Canaan. Everything was excellent. This place is definitely a contender for our regular pizza spot along with Colony.
If you’re in New Canaan, the place to go is Dante’s. No contest. But if you’re into Neapolitan pies, then Locali is pretty good.

Reaction Score

Good to know. Stamford has good pizza spots but definitely getting bored of them. Didn’t realize Locali was like right next to Joes.

Reaction Score
Only topping allowed is egpplant on a modern pie…
Does Modern bread and fry their eggplant before topping it? The only other eggplant pie I’ve ever had in the New Haven area was at Bobby’s Apizza in Branford, which was surprisingly good. I despise naked eggplant on a pizza though (or in an eggplant parm wedge).

Reaction Score
Does Modern bread and fry their eggplant before topping it? The only other eggplant pie I’ve ever had in the New Haven area was at Bobby’s Apizza in Branford, which was surprisingly good. I despise naked eggplant on a pizza though (or in an eggplant parm wedge).
1646014126868.gif

August_West

Conscience do cost
Reaction Score
Yes. Breaded and fried and some of the best I’ve ever had.

ClifSpliffy

surf's up
Reaction Score
I pray to God that I never eat at a pizza place that has kale, pistachio vinaigrette and shaved cauliflower on the menu.
i like to eat a lot when it's time to eat. i've found that places featuring those things almost always never give me enough food. and, kale is only good when buried with other shredded fresh greens, pistachios should only come shelled from a big bag or mixed in with ice cream, baklava, or halvah, and cauliflower raw, or raw and dressing dunked, are the civilized choices for eating these. shaved cauliflower? is shick in the vegetable razor business nowadays?
the only vinnygret that i ever use is the original, commonly known as 'italian dressing.' spare me the craft red wine vinegar discussion.
now, onto important pizza news - my new pizza dough recipe.

2 cups 00 flour, plus or minus.
1 dry yeast pack.
some salt.
warm water.
pour flour into bowl. sprinkle yeast and salt in. add warmish water.
put doughball in oiled ziploc, toss in fridge an hour or two.
done.

v2.0 will come when i figure out how to get some malted barley action in there, as a paen to the 'chewy' nuts.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
i like to eat a lot when it's time to eat. i've found that places featuring those things almost always never give me enough food. and, kale is only good when buried with other shredded fresh greens, pistachios should only come shelled from a big bag or mixed in with ice cream, baklava, or halvah, and cauliflower raw, or raw and dressing dunked, are the civilized choices for eating these. shaved cauliflower? is shick in the vegetable razor business nowadays?
the only vinnygret that i ever use is the original, commonly known as 'italian dressing.' spare me the craft red wine vinegar discussion.

1 dry yeast pack.
some salt.
warm water.
done.

v2.0 will come when i figure out how to get some malted barley action in there, as a paen to the 'chewy' nuts.
I've been making dough for many decades (was taught by my Italian born grandmother who would be ~120 of she was still with us).

I dissolve the yeast in warm water ( I use lesaffre exclusively but fleischman's packet work), add salt (very little) then add flour. Kneed thoroughly, place in large bowl, covered with a towel, in a warm, dry room to rise. A few hours later kneed again, return to the bowl for a second rise.

I've never heard of adding yeast to dry flour first or refrigerating before rising.

However, if your method works, go with it.

ClifSpliffy

surf's up
Reaction Score
I've been making dough for many decades (was taught by my Italian born grandmother who would be ~120 of she was still with us).

I dissolve the yeast in warm water ( I use lesaffre exclusively but fleischman's packet work), add salt (very little) then add flour. Kneed thoroughly, place in large bowl, covered with a towel, in a warm, dry room to rise. A few hours later kneed again, return to the bowl for a second rise.

I've never heard of adding yeast to dry flour first or refrigerating before rising.

However, if your method works, go with it.
'I've never heard of adding yeast to dry flour first or refrigerating before rising.'
ikr? that's why i called it 'important pizza news.'
next up? insanely good turkey thighs and wings by hucking them in the woodstove, wrapped in baking paper and foil. baked taters, too.
i like to eat good food, with a hard bias toward those simply made.
here is the champ - protein, salt, pepper, fire. ezpz, and tasty, too!

ps. i have decided that the supermarket turkeys of today, when roasted, taste surprisingly close, especially certain dark meat parts, to what duck tastes like, a major win for the likes of me when we can switch out 6 bucks a pound for 3 bucks a pound. fancy breeding an all that, i suppose.
chicken is almost never on the menu. chicken is just bird flavored cotton.

Last edited:
Reaction Score

1 dry yeast pack.
some salt.
warm water.
done.

Pistachio pesto is solid too. My mother in law is vegetarian and she makes a mean kale tomato and feta pie. Ill admit it’s not normal and is it something I desire on any other pie but when she makes it I’m a big fan. Typically I don’t hate on other peoples topping preferences but I’ll have to agree with you on shaved cauliflower. Odd new food fad. Or a cauliflower “steak”. It’s just a big piece of cauliflower that people charge an arm and leg for.

I make my dough a lot and one thing that you might want to look into is that yeast and salt don’t like each other. Salt kills yeast. For me what works best is dissolving the salt in water and then adding some flour to that to make somewhat of a paste and then add the yeast in. Mix that up and add rest of your flour. Everyone has their own method and it all taste great. Give it a try and maybe you’ll come out with a different result!

ClifSpliffy

surf's up
Reaction Score
aboot a few years back, when checking my fav section in the super, the frozen pizza section, i noticed a new player in the game -oprah and her cauliflower infused pizza dough. wait, what? why would anybody do that?
what's the point? sounded like another attempt by a 'plump' scammer to offer a 'weight loss' product. as always, ridiculous, but being an equal opportunity pizza lover, i bought one.
separate from the usual scam of 'it's good for you, that's why it weighs around half of a normal frozen pie' (check the weights on some of those holier than thou frozen pies-scam city), it had the patina of 'be cool! eat a healthy, weight loss thing!' from the lady who apparently could never lose a pound.
conclusion? gross, and after eating a slice or two, i fired the rest of it to the 3 barking mooseketeers. usually those clowns just chomp first, and ask questions later, but this time they sniffed it and pulled off a piece of cheese or two, then turned to me with anger in their eyes as if to say 'stop holding out on us, where's the real stuff?' i immediately chased them out of the building in self defense.

Reaction Score
After ~6000 posts, can't believe the search for the bottom goes on.

But let me add that years ago Campus in NL was good, but have not idea what's it's like now. After 15 years in NJ, I conclude that NJ pizza is not worth saying that it s***x. rah rah NH!!

Mazhude

"Bark, Bark!"
Reaction Score
And Sally's coming to Alexandria VA this spring as well...

ClifSpliffy

surf's up
Reaction Score
Pistachio pesto is solid too. My mother in law is vegetarian and she makes a mean kale tomato and feta pie. Ill admit it’s not normal and is it something I desire on any other pie but when she makes it I’m a big fan. Typically I don’t hate on other peoples topping preferences but I’ll have to agree with you on shaved cauliflower. Odd new food fad. Or a cauliflower “steak”. It’s just a big piece of cauliflower that people charge an arm and leg for.

I make my dough a lot and one thing that you might want to look into is that yeast and salt don’t like each other. Salt kills yeast. For me what works best is dissolving the salt in water and then adding some flour to that to make somewhat of a paste and then add the yeast in. Mix that up and add rest of your flour. Everyone has their own method and it all taste great. Give it a try and maybe you’ll come out with a different result!
i gave it a try yesterday, cuz i thought we were playing last night
(what's with the saturday game that's played sunday, and the tuesday game that's played wednesday?).
conclusion after one test? a denser and softer crust, and more chewy, tho definitely not as airy or replete with big bubbles - my holy grail of crust pursuit.
the peanut gallery here liked it very much, but they, like us, enjoy anything pizza, and are not very discriminating. my survey pool can barely remember their names, so asking them for a sophisticated, discerning, and thoughtful opinion on pizza, or anything else for that matter, is just silly.

i need a new focus group,
and more pizza, cuz i heard that we are actually playing tonite, and ima religious sort -thou shalt eat pizza and watch cbb, so it is written, so it is told.
it's the 13th, or 17th commandment, one of those. i forget which.

Reaction Score
i gave it a try yesterday, cuz i thought we were playing last night
(what's with the saturday game that's played sunday, and the tuesday game that's played wednesday?).
conclusion after one test? a denser and softer crust, and more chewy, tho definitely not as airy or replete with big bubbles - my holy grail of crust pursuit.
the peanut gallery here liked it very much, but they, like us, enjoy anything pizza, and are not very discriminating. my survey pool can barely remember their names, so asking them for a sophisticated, discerning, and thoughtful opinion on pizza, or anything else for that matter, is just silly.

i need a new focus group,
and more pizza, cuz i heard that we are actually playing tonite, and ima religious sort -thou shalt eat pizza and watch cbb, so it is written, so it is told.
it's the 13th, or 17th commandment, one of those. i forget which.
Hahahaha awesome man yeah I too was expecting to watch our huskies last night but instead we were treated to more Providence tears which entertaining as well.

Im in awe of your dough process for of two reasons. 1. Salt and yeast don't like each other and you add the yeast in with the salt without any sort of buffer. 2. You refrigerate only for an hour or two and then use? How do you get the the airy bubbly crust? The temperature in your fridge should severely slow down the rising process which should then prohibit the nice and bubbly dough after only an hour or two.

I should have been clear and I apologize that I wasn't but that is my process for my 48hr cold ferment dough. So after I knead the dough and portion them out I stick them in the fridge for 48 hours and then use them. Also hydration plays a big role in the crust. Its crazy how 4-6 ingredients (i usually don't put oil or sugar) can produce such different results. I'll have to try your method out one day! Would love to see what others do as well

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jfreeds

Top Bottom