OT: - Best Pizza in CT | Page 218 | The Boneyard

OT: Best Pizza in CT

ClifSpliffy

surf's up
Reaction Score
pops sez that his generation owes the world an apology for causing the massive proliferation of drugs related to something called heartburn. he sez that before his time, normal people stopped eating certain things when they found out that it didn't agree with them (koyannissquatsi 'out of balance'), and at the margins, there were simple therapies like alka seltzer and such, but because his group couldn't take 'no' for an answer, the market responded with all kinds of whacked out drugs to hide the obvious, and leading to 'take this so you can eat that!' not good.
enjoy ur little purple pill that prolly is served with the peaches. on the udder hand, if ur body somehow equates this monstrosity with a cold glass of water on a hot day, u win! u win? what do u win? is it a win iffn u can hold down some hot peaches with prosciut, olive oil, pepper, salt, cheese, and, presumably, malted barley flour?
guilford people. once upon a time, they ate bluefish, indian pudding, cornbread, normal pizza, big fat ribeyes, mutton lamb chops, fried catch-of-the-day, hot dogs, and the like, and all of them including their kids. today? will this be the decade when guilford beats hand, at least once, in football? i ain't bettin on it. lol.

Reaction Score
With zero apologies to those who eschew fruit on pizza, this special from Bufalina last night was f-amazing. Every. Single. Slice.

Pizza Special

Bishop’s Orchard Peach Pizza

asiago cheese & crispy prosciutto ~$16

Yes I ate the entire thing myself; the last two slices may have been to spite my family, which deserted me.
Ate a few pies off the new menu tonight myself, Estate was my favorite:

ESTATE
Roasted corn, blistered scallions, heirloom cherry tomatoes, basil, stracchino

dvegas

Duck Fuke
Reaction Score
Pepes Fairfield just completely screwed up an on line order for a very specific pizza. Had to wait over a half hour for it to be re-made, after driving a half hour to pick up. The pizza should have been comped. It was not. Offered a soda while I waited. I am a huge fan, but that is BS. Donwhill alert

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Pepes Fairfield just completely screwed up an on line order for a very specific pizza. Had to wait over a half hour for it to be re-made, after driving a half hour to pick up. The pizza should have been comped. It was not. Offered a soda while I waited. I am a huge fan, but that is BS. Donwhill alert

What was so special or specific and how did they mess it up?

Reaction Score
Complain online through there site. They will give you a credit.

dvegas

Duck Fuke
Reaction Score
What was so special or specific and how did they mess it up?
Ordered (online) a red pie, double pepperoni, extra pecarino (was correct on the ticket and confirmation email). Got a pie with regular pepperoni, double motz. Good thing my girl checked it. Took a half hour to bake the replacement . They used to give you the mistake pie, or comp the order. Not anymore....

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Ordered (onlibe) a red pie, duble pepperoni, extra pecarino. Got a pie with regular pepperoni, double motz. Good thing my girl checked it. Took a half hour to bake the replacement . They used to give you the mistake pie, or comp the order. Not anymore....
If you had paid for it was the cost with tax, etc? Just curious.

Reaction Score
With zero apologies to those who eschew fruit on pizza, this special from Bufalina last night was f-amazing. Every. Single. Slice.

Pizza Special

Yes I ate the entire thing myself; the last two slices may have been to spite my family, which deserted me.
Best pie in CT. Having it on the boat tonight!!!

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Did you freeze it last week? New special tonight!
Lol. I wondered the same but then figured he meant Bufalina in general, not that specific pie.

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score

Pizza Special

On brutally hot Wednesday, I spent from opening until sunset at Hammonasset, first walking the full length both ways, then going into the water to periodically cool off, and reading the graphic novel adaptation of Vinnegut's "Slaughterhouse 5."

When the sun was going down, I looked & learned that Buffalina, Clam Castle, and Bishop's were all closed. Doh.

Instead, I drove to Sally's for NH Documentary Film Festival's Opening Night with "Matchbox Man" (a CT collector w/42k Matchbox cars) and "Vinyl Nation" (on manufacturers, collectors, and other passionistas in the LP trade).

A woman sitting at the same picnic table under the parking lot tent offered me a slice of her sliced potato & bacon white pie. I picked off the onions, and what I bit into was outstanding! I was overjoyed when she offered another.

She enjoyed a slice of thr plain tomato sauce pie I ordered. It was not as excellent as the slices from one I had the week before when NHDocs did a dry run of the venue and they screened "Pizza: A Love Story."

I'm acquainted with the movie/festival Producers, so they shared with me from their stash of pies. That's the good news. The bad news was that all but the plain tomato had the fatal flaw of an ingredient I won't eat: onions on the Garden Special and the Sliced Potato; olives on something I didn't even look at closely; and a heads up as to anchovies when I initially reached for a Tomato Sauce slice. I was redirected to a pie without anchovies.

I once again surprised myself by loving the plainest of the plain.

But that Sliced Potato w/bacon two nights ago was heavenly.

I haven't had anything at or from Sally's that wasn't special/memorable in the past two years since it rebooted as a more workable option for the beloved (non-insider) 'casual customer.'

Now that I know Buffalina is only open Thur-Sat, I have a reason not to feel sad about sunsets before, and plan my beach visits accordingly.

Last edited:

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
^ surprised by how quickly the Edit option disappeared on tge above post, so I got stuck with "Vinnegut," "thr," and omitting that sunsets are now "before 8pm," which is Buffalina's closing time.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
On brutally hot Wednesday, I spent from opening until sunset at Hammonasset, first walking the full length both ways, then going into the water to periodically cool off, and reading the graphic novel adaptation of Vinnegut's "Slaughterhouse 5."

When the sun was going down, I looked & learned that Buffalina, Clam Castle, and Bishop's were all closed. Doh.

Instead, I drove to Sally's for NH Documentary Film Festival's Opening Night with "Matchbox Man" (a CT collector w/42k Matchbox cars) and "Vinyl Nation" (on manufacturers, collectors, and other passionistas in the LP trade).

A woman sitting at the same picnic table under the parking lot tent offered me a slice of her sliced potato & bacon white pie. I picked off the onions, and what I bit into was outstanding! I was overjoyed when she offered another.

She enjoyed a slice of thr plain tomato sauce pie I ordered. It was not as excellent as the slices from one I had the week before when NHDocs did a dry run of the venue and they screened "Pizza: A Love Story."

I'm acquainted with the movie/festival Producers, so they shared with me from their stash of pies. That's the good news. The bad news was that all but the plain tomato had the fatal flaw of an ingredient I won't eat: onions on the Garden Special and the Sliced Potato; olives on something I didn't even look at closely; and a heads up as to anchovies when I initially reached for a Tomato Sauce slice. I was redirected to a pie without anchovies.

I haven't had anything at or from Sally's that wasn't special/memorable in the past two years since it rebooted as a more workable option for the beloved (non-insider) 'casual customer.'

Now that I know Buffalina is only open Thur-Sat, I have a reason not to feel sad about sunsets before, and plan my beach visits accordingly.
Can you post the depiction of Montana Wildhack?

Reaction Score

The plain pie from Sally’s is their best offering and the best plain pie in the universe (and that’s not disparaging their other pies as Sally’s is my absolute favorite)

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score

Color me confused. If you're a picky eater, which it sounds like you are, and @8893's descriptions of everything he's eaten at Bufalina include multiple ingredients which are not "traditional" pizza toppings, then why would you seek out Bufalina?

Reaction Score
The plain pie from Sally’s is their best offering and the best plain pie in the universe (and that’s not disparaging their other pies as Sally’s is my absolute favorite)
I'll never understand this. It's tomato sauce and bread, I'll never understand how so many people find this pie amazing.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Color me confused. If you're a picky eater, which it sounds like you are, and @8893's descriptions of everything he's eaten at Bufalina include multiple ingredients which are not "traditional" pizza toppings, then why would you seek out Bufalina?
To be clear you can get a pizza with only traditional toppings there. I don’t think that’s where they shine, but it certainly wouldn’t be bad.

Reaction Score
Visiting a brother in Middletown, no good pizza in New Hampshire- should I stay in Middletown or go nearby to Meriden for pizza?

Reaction Score
FYI, there’s a new Coal Fired Pizza spot in Middletown on Main St. Opened a month or 2 ago. Initial reviews are positive. I’ll definitely be checking it out soon.

Sicily Coal Fired Pizza | Menu | Middletown

Happened A LOT sooner than expected lol. My parents wanted pizza for dinner so I ordered a Pepperoni and Chorizo, mushroom, and truffle oil pie to go. Spent about 15 mins in the box before getting to eat.

Quality ingredients, nice char on the outer crust, minimal flop. Sauce was a little average in my opinion. I’ll go 7.5 on the pepperoni and 7.7 on the Chorizo pie. Good pizza overall, but not New Haven level.

The place itself was super packed. Beautifully done interior dining area plus the upstairs bar area and has an outdoor patio on Main St. 50 beers on tap from what they said. Definitely a nice place to spend a night out and a quality addition to Main St Middletown. Krust and Mondo have some competition.

Reaction Score
Visiting a brother in Middletown, no good pizza in New Hampshire- should I stay in Middletown or go nearby to Meriden for pizza?

Little Rendezvous in Meriden is good, but I’d recommend Krust, Mondo, or now Sicily in Middletown. I’m a homer though.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom