OT: - Best Pizza in CT | Page 197 | The Boneyard

OT: Best Pizza in CT

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
I will say that my wife includes red and orange (and sadly some green) in her Jambalaya, and I gladly eat that.
Green bell peppers are 1/3 of the Trinity, which is the foundation of most all Creole cuisine. And Creole cuisine is mostly delicious, so they do serve a purpose.

And yes, I'm a heathen who will add them to a cheesesteak, for texture as much as taste.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
I think this is the main reason so many of us are traumatized by the thought of green bell peppers:

stuffed-bell-peppers.jpg

Not necessarily. Just never liked the taste of the green bell pepper. I'll eat them if they are unavoidable but will dance around them if I can. I will absolutely terrorize those carb free diet red/yellow/red peppers stuffed with ground beef, tomatoes and cheese.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
No sausage and peppers for you?

I’ll eat them in a good sausage and peppers. The only ones I don’t like are roasted red peppers, which is a totally different thing for me. I like Baci’s at sausage and peppers at Lobster Landing because he uses mostly red, orange and yellow peppers in his.

I don’t like peppers on pizza though, unless they are spicy peppers.

Long hots >>>>>>> green bell peppers.
Yeah I totally dig these with sausage. Portofino in New Haven does a great job with that dish.

Reaction Score
My mom used to make sausage and peppers as well as a few different versions of stuffed green peppers. All dishes were exceptional. Thanks for reminding me.

David 76

Forty years a fan
Reaction Score
I’ll eat them in a good sausage and peppers. The only ones I don’t like are roasted red peppers, which is a totally different thing for me. I like Baci’s at sausage and peppers at Lobster Landing because he uses mostly red, orange and yellow peppers in his.

To me, green peppers on pizza is my least favorite topping.

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
I've only had Mike's twice. Once to go and once there. I found it to be better than Zupp's and right in the conversation with the New Haven legends. The Meatball was outstanding. Understand that the place is a dive, filled with character. Really nice owner, his sister is the waitress, and she is worth the price of admission, great stories

As far as the non-pizza offerings, I have never tried any of them although I have to say that the couple seated at a table nearby us had some sort of pasta and meatball dish that looked absolutely out of this world.
Found Mike's to be ideal for watching a Giants game and eating pizza, at least to the extent that there could be anything ideal about watching a Giants game.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
This is my idea of a good stuffed pepper

View attachment 61963
I love these too much. I pop them like children's vitamins. Whenever Mrs. 8893 puts them out they are delivered with a warning on the amount I am allowed so I don't box others out.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Reaction Score
Ok, I have neither had nor considered apples on a pizza, or apples with sausage (except in a stuffing).

I do like apples with smoked gouda, and I could see smoked gouda with sausage, so I am guessing this--like the vast majority of Bufalina's combinations--works, but I am very curious to hear reviews because I don't know if we will get this special before it's gone:
I will definitely get that if they keep it for tomorrow.

I'm kind of over the late fall menu now anyway, so this would be a welcome diversion!

Reaction Score
I will definitely get that if they keep it for tomorrow.

I'm kind of over the late fall menu now anyway, so this would be a welcome diversion!
Shut out... couldn't get through on the phone between meetings and they were sold out at 1:45. Now we'll never know if the apple pizza was any good.

Coal and Daisies or Zeneli now... both will be lukewarm by the time I get home.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Ok, I have neither had nor considered apples on a pizza, or apples with sausage (except in a stuffing).

I do like apples with smoked gouda, and I could see smoked gouda with sausage, so I am guessing this--like the vast majority of Bufalina's combinations--works, but I am very curious to hear reviews because I don't know if we will get this special before it's gone:

I had it once (elsewhere) and it was good. But it's certainly not a red sauce kind of pie. Maybe similar to that one at Buffalina. Apple and sausage is a good pairing anyway.

I won't eat pizza with vegetables of any kind on it, with one exception, Arugula. And that would be on one of those arugula, prosciutto, fig, balsamic pies. These guys make a great one. Tavolino Foxborough (tavolinorestaurant.us)

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Shut out... couldn't get through on the phone between meetings and they were sold out at 1:45. Now we'll never know if the apple pizza was any good.

Coal and Daisies or Zeneli now... both will be lukewarm by the time I get home.
I'm on it. Mrs. 8893 was calling around 11:45 while waiting for our daughter in her dentist appointment and she finally got through around noon. Got the special and three other pies. I will report back.

Tell me about Coal and Daises. I don't think I've seen it mentioned here before. I just looked it up and it looks like it's in that industrial spot near the Chowder Pot that has already been two other restaurants in like the past three years? Seems to be a jinxed spot. I was in both prior establishments a couple times each--one was a burger joint and I can't remember what the other one was--and they never seemed to get it right; the place has a weird flow about it, like they need a Feng shui consultant.

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
Hiked to Castle Craig in Hubbard Park in Meriden yesterday, with plans to visit Little Rendezvous for my first time afterward and bring home a pizza for the USC game.

Lost the Blue trail on the way back down, wrestled w/darkness & a dying-to-dead phone battery, and learned that Little Rendezvous was temporarily closed due to COVID once I got back to my car.

Next time, I'll have my head lamp, a charging block, printed map, greater advance familiarity with the hike, and more daylight time built in. And I'll call for pizza earlier in the day, so that I know if they're open.

As I ascended the mountain, I. did hear a CT Public Radio show ("Seasoned") in which Colin Caplan - one of the "Pizza, a Love Story" movie producers and New Haven pizza book author- listed out Sally's, Pepe's, Modern, Ernie's, Zuppardi's, Mike's, and Roseland, in that order - though not necessarily ranking - when asked by the hosts.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Hiked to Castle Craig in Hubbard Park in Meriden yesterday, with plans to visit Little Rendezvous for my first time afterward and bring home a pizza for the USC game.

Lost the Blue trail on the way back down, wrestled w/darkness & a dying-to-dead phone battery, and learned that Little Rendezvous was temporarily closed due to COVID once I got back to my car.

Next time, I'll have my head lamp, a charging block, printed map, greater advance familiarity with the hike, and more daylight time built in. And I'll call for pizza earlier in the day, so that I know if they're open.

As I ascended the mountain, I. did hear a CT Public Radio show ("Seasoned") in which Colin Caplan - one of the "Pizza, a Love Story" movie producers and New Haven pizza book author- listed out Sally's, Pepe's, Modern, Ernie's, Zuppardi's, Mike's, and Roseland, in that order - though not necessarily ranking - when asked by the hosts.
Nice. I haven't been to Hubbard Park in decades. I have been Little Rendezvous twice and think it's definitely a worthy stop for Connecticut pizza nuts.

Interesting order by Caplan; I do agree that, at their best, Sally's is the best for my preferences because of the oily char.

How did you remember the order? That's some serious "person-woman-man-camera-TV" recall ability you got there.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
For those of you who labelled HH as a true conservative/Trumper and doubted his assertions that he's crossed party lines on occasion, his last post should leave no doubt about him working the entire spectrum.

Apple and sausage is a good pairing anyway.
Very German. So you know he sympathizes with Aryan Nation.

I won't eat pizza with vegetables of any kind on it,
Totally Trumpian.

with one exception, Arugula.
But wait, that's a liberal vegetable, and a high priced weed that Obama likes to boot!

And that would be on one of those arugula, prosciutto, fig, balsamic pies.
And not only is he liberal, he's limousine liberal!

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Boatbro

Top Bottom