OT: - Best Pizza in CT | Page 187 | The Boneyard

OT: Best Pizza in CT

Reaction Score
Made the mistake of picking up from Pepe's on Sunday, they routed me to the Spot. Wasn't good. As I drove up Wooster I saw the large tent and open air dining at Sally's in the parking lot next door, and I kicked myself.

ClifSpliffy

surf's up
Reaction Score
Just moved to Clinton and ordered delivery from Grand Abeets last nite. Large white Margherita was the bomb! Also order eggplnt parm and bruschetta which was excellent as well.
mikey nuzz is a giant, with a praise worthy charitable footprint across the area. now, as to his bro with his new 'grande' place over in winthrop (apparently they don't speak to each other), well, that's another story... next time, try the 'Grand Special.' fuhghettabootit. that thing deserves it's own wiki entry.

The Funster

What?
Reaction Score
Has anyone here bought an uncooked pizza? I'm seeing a few local shops and places like Big Y offer uncooked pizzas at a big discount.

Has anyone gone this route? Worth doing?

Zuppardi's sold them at the Shop Rite in Shelton when I lived there.

Reaction Score
I had Sally’s for the first time last night. Spectacular pie. Great crust, but the sauce is definitely the standout.

Now that I’ve officially had the Big 3 + Zupp’s I’m having a very hard time deciding an order.

I think I’d go...

1) Modern - Italian Bomb
2) Sally’s - Tomatoe Pie (1/2 with Mozz)
3) Zupp’s - Sausage, Pepper, and Mushroom
4) Pepe’s - White Clam

I'd go.........

1) Zupp's - sausage and mushroom or wc
2) Modern - Italian Bomb
3) Sally's - Tomato Pie
4) Pepe's - wc - a distant 4th

My wife and I were disappointed the other night at Pepe's in Danbury, place seems to have definitely dropped in quality.

Reaction Score
I'm not looking for mass produced frozen pizza.

The best option is to buy a pizza from a local shop, and freezing a few slices in separate vacuum sealed bags.

Now I'm seeing Big Y, and a couple local shops offering their pizzas, frozen, but uncooked. It's cheaper than their cooked pizzas, but more expensive than the mass produced crap sold in the freezer section at grocery stores.

My question is to anyone who has bought these frozen pizzas, and cooked th at home - how did they come out? As good?
Caraluzzi's Market in Newtown, Bethel or Wilton sells frozen Zuppardis Pies. Derby Shop Rite sells them too, I think.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I'd go.........

1) Zupp's - sausage and mushroom or wc
2) Modern - Italian Bomb
3) Sally's - Tomato Pie
4) Pepe's - wc - a distant 4th

My wife and I were disappointed the other night at Pepe's in Danbury, place seems to have definitely dropped in quality.
Thought it was great that Pepe's came to Warwick RI near where i worked. Fell off the table quickly.

Reaction Score
Made the mistake of picking up from Pepe's on Sunday, they routed me to the Spot. Wasn't good. As I drove up Wooster I saw the large tent and open air dining at Sally's in the parking lot next door, and I kicked myself.
Times have really changed. At one time, 35 or 40 years ago "the Spot" had the best pie in the state. Even slightly better than the big Pepe's right next door. Pepe's has fallen off a cliff since they opened more restaurants. Last Saturday my wife and I were not happy with the pizza we had at Pepe's in Danbury.

Reaction Score
Times have really changed. At one time, 35 or 40 years ago "the Spot" had the best pie in the state. Even slightly better than the big Pepe's right next door. Pepe's has fallen off a cliff since they opened more restaurants. Last Saturday my wife and I were not happy with the pizza we had at Pepe's in Danbury.

spot was pepe’s for locals who didn’t want to wait in line. we all knew it was the same pie

Reaction Score
spot was pepe’s for locals who didn’t want to wait in line. we all knew it was the same pie
This goes back a long time for the Spot, but I would agree it was as good as Pepe's. In those days , old Ernie Boccamiello, (not sure of the spelling) the owner, and his younger assistant, Alphonse, made the pizzas. No long wait and they were very good.

Reaction Score
wooster st. for a tiny street always had great food. libby’s had the best ice cream
Very good Italian ices. And, the desserts were not expensive with a good selection to boot. But, I have not been there for years. Consiglio's is a very good Italian restaurant with their own parking lot diagonally across the street.

Reaction Score
Very good Italian ices. And, the desserts were not expensive with a good selection to boot. But, I have not been there for years. Consiglio's is a very good Italian restaurant with their own parking lot diagonally across the street.
How is Consiglio's related to Sal Consiglio who opened Sally's in 1938. Same family or a different branch? I'm glad that the new owners of Sally's still make great pizza there.

Reaction Score
How is Consiglio's related to Sal Consiglio who opened Sally's in 1938. Same family or a different branch? I'm glad that the new owners of Sally's still make great pizza there.
I would imagine it is the same family. It's not like the last name is Smith or Jones.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
I would imagine it is the same family. It's not like the last name is Smith or Jones.
Ah, but is it a little known fact that "Consiglio" is the "Johnson" of the Italian Peninsula?

Reaction Score
Sally's is still great but not as good since the takeover and the ownership group didn't keep good on their promise to keep the family involved.

One of the owners won't even eat at Sally's anymore he goes to zanellis

David 76

Forty years a fan
Reaction Score
I think Esposito may be more common. Interesting origin to that name.

Reaction Score
It was a joke...
Seriously though, part of my family has the surname Panza. Weird name, not common. But lets say two families came to New Haven around 1900 with that name, they all have like 6 kids each for two generations. It lets confusing really fast. Now there are so many Panza’s around the New Haven area that are cousins to varying degrees. About 50/50 chance they hate each other or don’t know each other at all. I’m sure it’s the same with consiglio.

Reaction Score
Anyone experience Pepe in Yonkers??

Its pretty good but definitely a notch below New Haven. However, it was better than Pepes outside Boston. Yes, I do get around, for work anyways. :)

Reaction Score
Apparently a place called Marino's is reopening in Middletown. The original owners daughter owns it.

Anyone have their za back in the day?

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom