OT: - Best Pizza in CT | Page 168 | The Boneyard

OT: Best Pizza in CT

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Sounds like a great day. My wife and daughters were in town for lunch today and the out-of-town daughters wanted pizza so I took them to Zeneli on Wooster. Home run for us. Lines down the street for both Sally's and Pepe's and we walked right in to Zeneli and got the last open table. My daughters prefer their crust more chewy and less charred than traditional New Haven apizza, so they loved it. Mrs. 8893 and I did, too. I'm three for three there now.

I hope you and your gang don't like fresh, whole belly clams, because Modern doesn't use them but both Pepe's and Zupp's do, and that is one of the signature pies for both. For Modern, not so much, but still very solid.

I'll try the clam pie next time at Zupp's. Honestly I wasn't even sure if clams are in season now or if they were all hold overs from the summer.

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
Happiness is working in New Haven. Company had Modern for lunch on Christmas Eve.
On the subject of Christmas Eve, I got curious and took a 7:15 driving tour which revealed that - in order - Olde World, Grimaldi's, Dayton Street, Ernie's, Sally's, Pepe's, Zeneli's, Nolo, Da Legna, Modern, Next Door, and One6Three were all closed.

My last remaining hope was what I'd have bet was the best possibility to be open, and, sure enough, I picked up a bacon & cheese from BAR that was much better that a shockingly disappointing pie from mid-summer. I'll be back there next Saturday with a group and there should be more variety and a better chance to assess its current state.

Tonight, after a busted sunset bike ride to the Festival of Lights had me in Morris Cove, I made my first return stop to Fire & Slice since its early months when the misguided choice of a smoked brisket pizza resulted in epic heartburn and had me wary of the BBQ-Pizza hybrid. I opted for a pulled pork sandwich, which had a nice, smoky flavor that was complemented by cole slaw and BBQ sauce on the side.

In curiosity, I also ordered a plain cheese slice, and they gave me a second gratis: thin, simple, foldable, non-floppy, light char, smoky and surprisingly good. At $1.95, it's a terrific value, and they also offer a $2.50 slice with a topping of the day. I'd now trust them to make me a full pie.

Their business is largely take-out, and I'm now imagining them as a better choice for the Pardee-Morris summer concert series than the otherwise good enough slices from the Abate's truck that is usually there.

Reaction Score
The wife and I went to Colony Grill in Stamford today on the way home from The Bronx Zoo. We got three pies, plain, onion and a sausage. All were really good. Hadn't been in a couple years and it was just like we remembered. I'm a fan but I know not everybody is.

Attachments

• IMG_1830.JPG
    IMG_1830.JPG
    184.7 KB · Views: 42
Reaction Score
The wife and I went to Colony Grill in Stamford today on the way home from The Bronx Zoo. We got three pies, plain, onion and a sausage. All were really good. Hadn't been in a couple years and it was just like we remembered. I'm a fan but I know not everybody is.

No hot oil pie?

I'm disappointed

Reaction Score
El Pres gave an 8.1 to Dominic and Pias in Waterbury today. A co worker swears that’s his favorite goto slice. I may have to make a road trip while I’m off next week.
Been eating Domenick and Pia's since I was a kid, I love it. Not much of a review and he didn't even interview Pia. He went to a bunch of places in the Waterbury area I've never heard of and they didn't look too good. He got some bad recommendations.

Reaction Score
Headed to Harry's in Glastonbury with a party of 6 tomorrow night. Definitely top shelf for the Hartford area.

CTBasketball

Former Owner of the Pizza Thread
Reaction Score
You would think Pagliacci's could put out a nice pie, but is that Plainville?
Don’t think they do.
Fireplace?
They make better wings than pizza.
You been there?
Yep grew up around the corner. It was good for a few weeks when it first started back when. Quality plummeted since then. Tuscany down the road has better pizza in my opinion.

Reaction Score
Don’t think they do.

They make better wings than pizza.

Yep grew up around the corner. It was good for a few weeks when it first started back when. Quality plummeted since then. Tuscany down the road has better pizza in my opinion.

I thought Popular in Southington was decent way back in the day, 80's? Liked drinking there prior to heading to the Hall of Shame to find some dessert. :eek:

Reaction Score
This made me chuckle. Southington has zero good pizza.
Very wrong. Fireplace is as good of a pizza you can get outside of New Haven. Angela's is sneaky good pizza too.

I hope you're not like that snob I met in line at Sally's last week who rolled his eyes when I said Modern made a good pie.

Edit: Zingarella's has great pizza too

Uconnalliance

Please cancel the program all hope is lost
Reaction Score
Very wrong. Fireplace is as good of a pizza you can get outside of New Haven. Angela's is sneaky good pizza too.

I hope you're not like that snob I met in line at Sally's last week who rolled his eyes when I said Modern made a good pie.

Forgot Zingerella’s !! Damn

CTBasketball

Former Owner of the Pizza Thread
Reaction Score

Not a snob I just disagree with your post. Zingarella’s and Angela’s wow.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom