OT: - Best Pizza in CT | Page 167 | The Boneyard

OT: Best Pizza in CT

Reaction Score
But are they making less-dense crust now within that square, thick style? I think that’s what dude is implying by “new Detroit style”
I think that's how it's always been and I doh't think there is a new Detroit style it just got popular nationally this year for some reason.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
Grandma style? That's Old Forge Style!

Old Forge and grandma pies in general are leaden compared to Detroit style, which was always a stepchild of Greek pan pizza. We have a Jet's here now in Pgh, but it's well behind the two indy Detroit style guys, Iron Born and Michigan & Trumbull. The latter does a ricotta/lemon zest slice that is really good. It could even pass for dessert.

RichZ

Fort the ead!
Reaction Score
he says the thick crust is very light
Thick and very light just makes me think of all the "Greek pizza" places with their pastry like crust. My wife is a fan. I am most definitely not.

Reaction Score
Their website photo does them no favors, and does not look like what I most recently had at Bishops Corner in West Hartford in 2017.
I regularly get Harry's Bishops Corner and it looks nothing like that. Thin crisp crust without a ton of cheese.

RichZ

Fort the ead!
Reaction Score
I never ordered a full pie but I eat their slices at least twice per month. Large variety of slices. Pretty good.
I used to work in the Meriden/Middletown area, and considered Iliano's pretty much the equal of Little Rendezvous. Different, but equally good. A little more tang in the sauce, and a bit less, but sharper tasting cheese.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Nothing new about Detroit style pizza, that's how they've always done it there. It's just square pan pizza cooked in a square tray, like grandma style. It's usually pretty good. I think Jet's pizza is a national chain now.
What about Little Caesar's? They've been around for years, they're square and from Detroit. Their owner owned the Red Wings and the Tigers..

formerlurker

www.stjude.org
Reaction Score
There's a thread on the wcbb board discussing the USA womens olympic team tune-up trip currently going on in Italy. The subject of pizza came up in one of the young lady's home blogs. It made me start craving some of my favorite slices, so I thought I'd share a few of my favorite places and pizzas in no particular order. I'd enjoy hearing and learning about suggestions from others.

1) Portsmouth Gas Light Co., Portsmouth, NH: The Mayor Foley is thin crust and done in a brick oven. They use an extra sweet tomato sauce and top it with sauteed spinach, mushrooms, caramelized onions and mozzarella cheese. It's the spinach and onions that make it!
http://www.portsmouthgaslight.com/pizza_landing.cfm

2) Too Boots, several locations in Manhattan including one downstairs in the Grand Central food court and a new location in Bridgeport, CT: The Bayou Beast is thin crust and topped with shrimp, crawfish, andouille sausage, jalapenos and mozzarella. They make a bunch of really unique and delicious pizzas, but this one is da bomb!
Two Boots Pizza

3) Pizza Factory, Greenwich, CT: Chicken Burrito Pizza comes thin or deep dish. I like thin and they top it with chicken, yellow cheddar cheese, black beans, sliced onions and jalapenos. The yellow cheddar is different and makes it great!
Prepare your taste buds...

4) Sally's Apizza, New Haven, CT: Everybody knows Sally's and their Famous Fresh Tomato Pie is an absolute classic and delicious!
http://sallysapizza.com/default.aspx

I have Two Boots in Jersey City a few times a month. Always a good pie.

Reaction Score
What about Little Caesar's? They've been around for years, they're square and from Detroit. Their owner owned the Red Wings and the Tigers..
Haven't had it since I was a kid but yes their square pies are Detroit style.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Haven't had it since I was a kid but yes their square pies are Detroit style.
Only a kid would eat that crap. I was just using that as an example of Detroit pizza not being new.

Reaction Score
Old Forge and grandma pies in general are leaden compared to Detroit style, which was always a stepchild of Greek pan pizza. We have a Jet's here now in Pgh, but it's well behind the two indy Detroit style guys, Iron Born and Michigan & Trumbull. The latter does a ricotta/lemon zest slice that is really good. It could even pass for dessert.

Precisely. Having lived in southeastern Michigan for 3 years, their version of Greek pizza is better than what you'll get at most places. But at the end of the day, it's still Greek pizza. In Ann Arbor, everyone always preferred the Detroit style pizza of the Cottage Inn.

I was the least surprised person to find out the owners were Greek.

thumb_600.jpg

Reaction Score
few years ago i moved from outside of waterbury to west hartford area and realized that i crossed into greek territory. hard to find a great new haven style slice out here.

liked stretch’s in newington (big uconn fans which was a plus), but they closed shortly after i moved in...now it is between harry’s and frank pepe’s chain, both of which are adequate, but not nearly as good as what i used to be able to get.

Reaction Score
El Pres gave an 8.1 to Dominic and Pias in Waterbury today. A co worker swears that’s his favorite goto slice. I may have to make a road trip while I’m off next week.

Reaction Score
As someone who is in Michigan at least 8 times a year, Detroit pizza is not New England Greek pizza. At all.

It’s more like smaller Sicilian nyc slice

All I'm saying is that the famous places for Detroit Pizza were Greek-owned. The fact is, there is no Greek pizza in Greece. It's just an American thing made by Greeks in America.

RichZ

Fort the ead!
Reaction Score
As someone who is in Michigan at least 8 times a year, Detroit pizza is not New England Greek pizza. At all.

It’s more like smaller Sicilian nyc slice
I don't know, that pic looks like a fluffier, cheesier version of the greek pies that are becoming way too common around here.
My grandson visits Detroit and surrounding areas regularly and he says the pizza is a lot like Apollo in Derby. Let that sink in. Apollo Pizza.
But while I have your attention and we're talking food, consider this...
86147696.jpg

Reaction Score
I don't know, that pic looks like a fluffier, cheesier version of the greek pies that are becoming way too common around here.
My grandson visits Detroit and surrounding areas regularly and he says the pizza is a lot like Apollo in Derby. Let that sink in. Apollo Pizza.
But while I have your attention and we're talking food, consider this...
View attachment 49315

This was a very enticing offer for one Boneyarder.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
So made it to New Haven to sample some pies with some family members. Guys family trip.
We were able to fit in three stops before our guts could take no more.
Modern- First stop. Got there right as it opened. Had the white clam pie and pepperoni. Pepperoni were for a couple of the teenagers whose taste buds are still a work in progress. White clam was fantastic. Pepperoni was good, but nothing spectacular. Sauce was best part of pepperoni. You can tell it is lightly seasoned and high quality. Light and not a ton of acid in it.
Frank Pepe's- Stop #2. Had a plain tomato pie and a tomato with mootz. Threw some fresh garlic on the tomato pie. Definitely a winner.
Then it was over to West Haven and Zuppardi's. Had the sausage pie and a tomato with cheese. Sausage pie was every bit of its reputation. Crust was light and airy and the sausage is perfectly made for pizza topping.

We were going to try Sally's but line was a good 25-30 min wait outside and we were just so full we didn't think we'd enjoy it.

Overall six pies today.

Modern's white clam, Pepe's plain tomato with garlic and Zuppardi's sausage were all done great and I'd recommend them to anyone. I don't know if I could pick between the sausage and the clam for best overall.
The cheese and pepperonis were perfectly fine but you don't go to these joints for them. But if you have a large group and you need some basic pies, these are still plenty good.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
So made it to New Haven to sample some pies with some family members. Guys family trip.
We were able to fit in three stops before our guts could take no more.
Modern- First stop. Got there right as it opened. Had the white clam pie and pepperoni. Pepperoni were for a couple of the teenagers whose taste buds are still a work in progress. White clam was fantastic. Pepperoni was good, but nothing spectacular. Sauce was best part of pepperoni. You can tell it is lightly seasoned and high quality. Light and not a ton of acid in it.
Frank Pepe's- Stop #2. Had a plain tomato pie and a tomato with mootz. Threw some fresh garlic on the tomato pie. Definitely a winner.
Then it was over to West Haven and Zuppardi's. Had the sausage pie and a tomato with cheese. Sausage pie was every bit of its reputation. Crust was light and airy and the sausage is perfectly made for pizza topping.

We were going to try Sally's but line was a good 25-30 min wait outside and we were just so full we didn't think we'd enjoy it.

Overall six pies today.

Modern's white clam, Pepe's plain tomato with garlic and Zuppardi's sausage were all done great and I'd recommend them to anyone. I don't know if I could pick between the sausage and the clam for best overall.
The cheese and pepperonis were perfectly fine but you don't go to these joints for them. But if you have a large group and you need some basic pies, these are still plenty good.
Sounds like a great day. My wife and daughters were in town for lunch today and the out-of-town daughters wanted pizza so I took them to Zeneli on Wooster. Home run for us. Lines down the street for both Sally's and Pepe's and we walked right in to Zeneli and got the last open table. My daughters prefer their crust more chewy and less charred than traditional New Haven apizza, so they loved it. Mrs. 8893 and I did, too. I'm three for three there now.

I hope you and your gang don't like fresh, whole belly clams, because Modern doesn't use them but both Pepe's and Zupp's do, and that is one of the signature pies for both. For Modern, not so much, but still very solid.

Reaction Score
That's the old Joey Garlic's spot. The Joey's guys sold it to one of their partners. Not sure if it was Rossini's before JG.

Yeah Rossini’s was that Joey Garlics spot originally great pie back then. May have to swing by.

Reaction Score
Sounds like a great day. My wife and daughters were in town for lunch today and the out-of-town daughters wanted pizza so I took them to Zeneli on Wooster. Home run for us. Lines down the street for both Sally's and Pepe's and we walked right in to Zeneli and got the last open table. My daughters prefer their crust more chewy and less charred than traditional New Haven apizza, so they loved it. Mrs. 8893 and I did, too. I'm three for three there now.

I hope you and your gang don't like fresh, whole belly clams, because Modern doesn't use them but both Pepe's and Zupp's do, and that is one of the signature pies for both. For Modern, not so much, but still very solid.

Until I feel otherwise, I'm not sure I'd eat another clam pie that wasn't from Zuppardi's. It was that good last time I went and I'm not in that neck of the woods often.

Reaction Score
Until I feel otherwise, I'm not sure I'd eat another clam pie that wasn't from Zuppardi's. It was that good last time I went and I'm not in that neck of the woods often.

Next time in west haven try rebar it's a bar that has a pizza oven. Surprisingly very good not zuppardis but for a bar pizza it's awesome

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Darkbloom

Top Bottom