OT: - Best Pizza in CT | Page 165 | The Boneyard

OT: Best Pizza in CT

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
Going up to the St. Joe's (CT) game on Saturday and planning a pizza lunch before. Does anyone know what the wait would be like at Zuppardi's around noon? Trying to balance something that we can plan for without a crazy line and a good 'za option.... thank you!!!
Google seems to know a lot.

Reaction Score
The plain tomato pie was excellent and should be what someone orders there. I thought the other pies our group had were good but not special. Sally’s owes a huge debt of gratitude to Portnoy for giving their cheese pie such an usually high score. Portnoy must have been extremely hungry that day because he treated Sally’s like it was the best, it isn’t.

I'll take Sally's on their best day over anyone.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
The plain tomato pie was excellent and should be what someone orders there. I thought the other pies our group had were good but not special. Sally’s owes a huge debt of gratitude to Portnoy for giving their cheese pie such an usually high score. Portnoy must have been extremely hungry that day because he treated Sally’s like it was the best, it isn’t.
I'll take Sally's on their best day over anyone.
Sally's has historically been the least consistent and least convenient of the Big Three, but the best pies I've had from them have been better than the best pies from the others.

Reaction Score
Sally's has historically been the least consistent and least convenient of the Big Three, but the best pies I've had from them have been better than the best pies from the others.
Was in New Haven other day for some pizza. Sallys is so tiny inside it was over hour wait. Pepes was close to that. Modern was less than half an hour, but more packed because it has more seating. Ended up getting Modern and their pizza is so damn good. Wish Sally's was bigger though so I could dine in fresh instead of carryout.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Was in New Haven other day for some pizza. Sallys is so tiny inside it was over hour wait. Pepes was close to that. Modern was less than half an hour, but more packed because it has more seating. Ended up getting Modern and their pizza is so damn good. Wish Sally's was bigger though so I could dine in fresh instead of carryout.
This is why I end up going with Modern 99% of the time for New Haven apizza. 100% of the time for takeout.

Reaction Score
Went to Pepe's last night. Got there at 4:20. No line, great service, and a perfect mozz and bacon with some Foxon Park White Birch Beer.
MVIMG_20191204_172314.jpg

Last edited:
Reaction Score
In central CT, try Mama Luke's on Rte 6 in Bristol ( a mile west of Tunxis Community College.) Three great ones in a row, the minimal test for me.

Reaction Score
It's not the original; but, it will be better that what's currently available in the DC area - Pepe's is opening a location in Maryland.

PS - I saw on Pepe's website that they now have a second lcoation in the Boston area at the Burlington Mall, which is new to me. The first Boston location is Chestnut Hill.

Reaction Score
I have had Harry's a few times here in Glastonbury over the past couple of months. Perhaps the best pizza in Glastonbury, and a contender for best in the Hartford area. It's that good.

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
I have had Harry's a few times here in Glastonbury over the past couple of months. Perhaps the best pizza in Glastonbury, and a contender for best in the Hartford area. It's that good.
If same as Bishops Corner in West Hartford, very good.
And also if so, were they oringinally on the western edge of W Hartford Center on Farmington Ave?

Reaction Score
And also if so, were they oringinally on the western edge of W Hartford Center on Farmington Ave?

Yes, same owners. They used to have a place on Farmington Ave for many years. I believe it is a spin off of Pepe's of sorts as the owner worked at Pepe's prior to opening his first place in Hartford in 89, then added the West Hartford (no dollar oyster night, sorry) location in 91. The Glastonbury location opened in 2013, I think.

Last edited:

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Yes, same owners. They used to have a place on Farmington Ave for many years. I believe it is a spin off of Pepe's of sorts as the owner worked at Pepe's prior to opening his first place in Hartford in 89, then added the West Hartford (no dollar oyster night, sorry) location in 91. The Glastonbury location opened in 2013, I think.
Harry's was owned by three people: Harry, Mark and Barbara. If I remember the story correctly, they met when they were working at Hot Tomatoes in Hartford, when that place was in its heyday and they were making really good money. They heard that there was good profit in pizza and they knew that Hartford was lacking, especially as compared with New Haven, so they decided to open a pizza place. They knew Pepe's was regarded as the best, so Mark and/or Harry worked there just long enough to get some insight on the ingredients and preparation, and together with Barbara they opened a takeout only place on Capital Avenue in Hartford. The place did a booming business and they expanded out to a full service restaurant on Farmington Ave. in West Hartford center (next to Lavery Appliance), where they thrived for many years. The pizza was always solid (it has many mentions in this thread) and the place was great; they had standard pizza ovens though, so they never achieved the char you get with coal or wood fired ovens.

I believe Barbara was married to Mark initially, but then they divorced and she married Harry. I think she had children with each of them, and she split from and reconciled with Harry few times before finally ending it in a less-than-amicable split with Harry, but she remained business partners with Mark and they opened one or more "Barb's Pizza" or something like that. I have no idea who owns what now, or how many establishments any of them have.

The Funster

What?
Reaction Score
Word has that Pepe's is expanding into Maryland. Near a car wash, I'd imagine.

Reaction Score
Harry's was owned by three people: Harry, Mark and Barbara. If I remember the story correctly, they met when they were working at Hot Tomatoes in Hartford, when that place was in its heyday and they were making really good money. They heard that there was good profit in pizza and they knew that Hartford was lacking, especially as compared with New Haven, so they decided to open a pizza place. They knew Pepe's was regarded as the best, so Mark and/or Harry worked there just long enough to get some insight on the ingredients and preparation, and together with Barbara they opened a takeout only place on Capital Avenue in Hartford. The place did a booming business and they expanded out to a full service restaurant on Farmington Ave. in West Hartford center (next to Lavery Appliance), where they thrived for many years. The pizza was always solid (it has many mentions in this thread) and the place was great; they had standard pizza ovens though, so they never achieved the char you get with coal or wood fired ovens.

I believe Barbara was married to Mark initially, but then they divorced and she married Harry. I think she had children with each of them, and she split from and reconciled with Harry few times before finally ending it in a less-than-amicable split with Harry, but she remained business partners with Mark and they opened one or more "Barb's Pizza" or something like that. I have no idea who owns what now, or how many establishments any of them have.

The box lists 2 locations for Harry's ; Glastonbury and South Main St. West Hartford. It's funny. I avoided Harry's in Glastonbury for a few years because it was a little pricy compared to a few other very good options in town. But as I get older, I would rather have the best of something, even if it costs a bit more.

Glastonbury is an interesting pizza town. No fewer than 6 very good options. When I say very good, I mean something approaching New Haven but not quite there. So if Pepe's or Modern gets an A for a grade these would be at the B plus or A minus level. IMO, If there was a Glastonbury Pizza War, the finals would be Sassano versus Harry's and I don't know who the favorite would be.

Last edited:

Curiouser
Reaction Score
The box lists 2 locations for Harry's ; Glastonbury and South Main St. West Hartford.
Yeah, what I don't know is if any of the original owners of Harry's or Barb's have any ownership interest in any of those places any more.

Reaction Score
Yeah, what I don't know is if any of the original owners of Harry's or Barb's have any ownership interest in any of those places any more.
Right, and I am equally unsure if there are any other locations under a different name give the split(s). But I found this:
Screenshot_20191209-104047.png

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I think it was mentioned early in the thread but Ilianos’ Washington St location in Middletown is consistently fantastic. They offer slices, with a great variety of white and red pies. Definitely worth a visit for anyone nearby who hasn’t tried it.
Iliano’s is good but imo, it’s now 4th place in Middletown behind Mondo’s, Krust, and Vero Cucino.

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
Right, and I am equally unsure if there are any other locations under a different name give the split(s). But I found this: View attachment 48993
And some people wonder how there can be a 165 page pizza thread.

After yoga, sauna, steam, soak, shower, and getting dressed at the New Haven JCC on Saturday, I happily surprise-encountered my former next door neighbors, their sons, and her parents, hosting a 4th birthday party for their older son, who I've known since birth. He builds with my childhood Lincoln Logs, American Bricks, Tinker Toys, and Kenner Girder & Panel set. Later in the day, he got my small Tyco HO train set.

As they transitioned upstairs from a playspace of inflatables, I was invited to join them for "cake."

Before cake, it was, more or less, crudite & pizza: Ernie's Pizza pizza. Bread-y, cheese-y Ernie's pizza. The New Haven pizza that occupies the outlier space of being completely what kids crave and therefore what those who don't really like New Haven style pizza like the most AND being great pizza. This is Westville's 'neighborhood favorite' entry (Yes, some prefer Dayton St,but I find better versions of "Abeetz" elsewhere not too far away), already down to lukewarm as it is served, by almost all appearances undistinguished pizza like you'd get after a middle school play or little league game. Bread-y. Cheese-y. And, somehow, I love it. Every time. So do the kids. So do the parents, and grandparents, and friends, from Pennsylvania, Mexico City, Columbia County (NY), a few blocks away, wherever. So do Yelpers. And Facebook followers. It's Pat making pizzas the way his dad did, the way he learned (so I've been told by pizza historian Colin Caplan) from Mike, once of West Haven, gone, but with a nice bar & pizza place still bearing his name (unfortunately closed today, otherwise ideal for tonight's Giants-Cowboys all-time tie-breaker game).

165 pages, and forking (or not) counting...

Reaction Score
The box lists 2 locations for Harry's ; Glastonbury and South Main St. West Hartford. It's funny. I avoided Harry's in Glastonbury for a few years because it was a little pricy compared to a few other very good options in town. But as I get older, I would rather have the best of something, even if it costs a bit more.

Glastonbury is an interesting pizza town. No fewer than 6 very good options. When I say very good, I mean something approaching New Haven but not quite there. So if Pepe's or Modern gets an A for a grade these would be at the B plus or A minus level. IMO, If there was a Glastonbury Pizza War, the finals would be Sassano versus Harry's and I don't know who the favorite would be.

Have you tried square peg yet?

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom