OT: - Best Pizza in CT | Page 129 | The Boneyard

OT: Best Pizza in CT

David 76

Forty years a fan
Reaction Score
Thanks. Love friselle with fresh tomato and basil.
I didn't mean biscotti. There is a counterpart to friselle that is also hard and peppery. We pronounced it closer to biscuit than biscotti.

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score
Thanks. Love friselle with fresh tomato and basil.
I didn't mean biscotti. There is a counterpart to friselle that is also hard and peppery. We pronounced it closer to biscuit than biscotti.

bizgot

August_West

Reaction Score
Mannagauk - pasta tubes stuffed with ricaut.
see you got that 1/2 right. You properly replaced the c with the g on manigott........... why wouldnt you follow the same rule on rigott?

August_West

Reaction Score
also dropping the ending vowels on EVERYTHING is a uniquely Northeastern Italian tic.

Years ago I used to work with a couple old italian women and every other day they would say "gonna go to the casseen tonight, will I see you at the casseeen?

took me like a month to figure out they were talking about foxwoods.

Reaction Score
There are actually not bad if you know what you are getting ahead of time... have had Colvitto’s in Narragansett and it’s not bad w/ coffee in the morning or as an afternoon snack w/ wine/beer salami and provolone after a day @ Scarborough. All depends on the sauce. Bad sauce makes bad pizza regardless of amount of cheese or lack thereof/thickness of crust.
Pizza and coffee!

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
see you got that 1/2 right. You properly replaced the c with the g on manigott...... why wouldnt you follow the same rule on rigott?

I learned my bad Italian-American pronunciations from Lithuanians and Slavs in Stamford, not New Haven. We never said "mootz", it was "mahtz". Ricaut was definitely more a oddly shaped "c" than a "g", despite it's similarity with mannagauk (which somehow broke even more rules by ending with a "k" sound.)

Even the curses were gnarled. While "melanzana" became "mulignan" in southern Italian immigrant, my Lithuanian mother - who never cursed in English - would say, "moonyon", "a fanabla" became "bah fanavala" "fongool" became "vongool" and when she was really teed, she'd break out "mahfunkule" instead of "vaffanculo". My godmother was Italian as was one aunt, and they never corrected her.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Was back at next door for a big party last night. Broccoli rabe and sausage is a great pie, as is the spicy meatball
white, right?

totally agree. Has to have Asiago too.
How was the sag factor?

The Rabe and Sausage comes white but I ordered it red last week and it was very good—except for that sag that plaqued all the pies I’ve had there,red or white. I wanted the spicy meatball, too, but we had to choose between that and the rabe and sausage and the latter won out.

Reaction Score
Where does DeLegna rank as it is in the heart of top notch pies? I am sure if they were any worked but downtown NH they would be getting national love. Thoughts??

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Where does DeLegna rank as it is in the heart of top notch pies? I am sure if they were any worked but downtown NH they would be getting national love. Thoughts??
For me, a notch below the top. On par with Next Door imo.

August_West

Reaction Score
How was the sag factor?

The Rabe and Sausage comes white but I ordered it red last week and it was very good—except for that sag that plaqued all the pies I’ve had there,red or white. I wanted the spicy meatball, too, but we had to choose between that and the rabe and sausage and the latter won out.

Ive never been there. The couple places I order the Rabe/Sasauge'/Asiago from have little sag.

I like that pie white.

uconnphil2016

Head Rat
Reaction Score
How was the sag factor?

There was sag for sure. When I sort of cracked the crust and got a good hold on a slice it mitigated the flop, but still present. It’s a great place to go with a large group because the restaurant is huge and the pizzas are smaller so you can order a bunch and please everyone’s tastes. They also have a way better beer selection

Reaction Score
I learned my bad Italian-American pronunciations from Lithuanians and Slavs in Stamford, not New Haven. We never said "mootz", it was "mahtz". Ricaut was definitely more a oddly shaped "c" than a "g", despite it's similarity with mannagauk (which somehow broke even more rules by ending with a "k" sound.)

Even the curses were gnarled. While "melanzana" became "mulignan" in southern Italian immigrant, my Lithuanian mother - who never cursed in English - would say, "moonyon", "a fanabla" became "bah fanavala" "fongool" became "vongool" and when she was really teed, she'd break out "mahfunkule" instead of "vaffanculo". My godmother was Italian as was one aunt, and they never corrected her.

August_West

Reaction Score

Capicola= gahbagool

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom