OT: - Best Pizza in CT | Page 122 | The Boneyard

OT: Best Pizza in CT

Reaction Score
You think downtown Hartford is dangerous. When are you not a wuss?

Downtown Hartford IS dangerous. It's statistically the murder capital of New England. When are you not ignorant?

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
Downtown Hartford IS dangerous. It's statistically the murder capital of New England. When are you not ignorant?

Hartford has the 8th highest homicide rate in the country at 25.69 murders per 100K people.

Pittsburgh is 22nd at 18.57.

I never even think about it. Perfectly safe here, far as I'm concerned. The people predisposed to violence (gangs, drug dealers, etc.) pretty much only shoot their own.

Reaction Score

There are dangerous sections of Hartford. Downtown Hartford is not one of them. You could walk around the Asylum Street or Pratt Street area (near the XL Center) and not be in any danger at all. A mile or so north, different story.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
There are dangerous sections of Hartford. Downtown Hartford is not one of them. You could walk around the Asylum Street or Pratt Street area and not be in any danger at all. A mile or so north, different story.

A guy got shot Sunday on Ashley St. About a block and a half off Asylum. 4 pm on a Sunday.

Reaction Score
A guy got shot Sunday on Ashley St. About a block and a half off Asylum. 4 pm on a Sunday.

That is nowhere near downtown. That is much closer to Albany Ave AKA the North End, which IS dangerous. That is what I said in my original reply.

These murders all happen in places that someone like you or I would never likely venture to. Places like Garden Street, Ashley Stret and the like ARE dangerous.

Reaction Score
That is nowhere near downtown. That is much closer to Albany Ave AKA the North End, which IS dangerous. That is what I said in my original reply.

These murders all happen in places that someone like you or I would never likely venture to. Places like Garden Street, Ashley Stret and the like ARE dangerous.

A) You specifically said "around Asylum".
B) I drive down Ashley twice every weekday.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
Careful. You sound like a wuss.

That's a 0.02569% chance of being murdered, or 1 in 3893 for those keeping score at home.

Here are some ways of dying with much higher odds:

Odds of Dying

Heart Disease and Cancer: 1 in 7
Chronic Lower Respiratory Disease: 1 in 28
Intentional Self-harm: 1 in 95
Unintentional Poisoning by and Exposure to Noxious Substances: 1 in 96
Motor Vehicle Crash: 1 in 114
Fall: 1 in 127
Car Occupant: 1 in 645
Pedestrian Incident: 1 in 647
Motorcycle Rider Incident: 1 in 985
Unintentional Drowning and Submersion: 1 in 1,188
Exposure to Fire, Flames or Smoke: 1 in 1,498
Choking from Inhalation and Ingestion of Food: 1 in 3,461

Given your concern with Hartford, I'd stop driving, walking, eating and taking baths if I were you.

CTBasketball

Former Owner of the Pizza Thread
Reaction Score
SoOoOoOoO before this thread gets locked because we’re talking about Hartford homicides and local geography....

I went to Newington Pizza last week and had a pretty solid meatball and onion pie. Not traditionally a fan of Greek style pizza but this was surprisingly not bad.

Reaction Score
A) You specifically said "around Asylum".
B) I drive down Ashley twice every weekday.

We were discussing downtown Hartford. The part of Asylum Ave that is downtown is safe. Ashley street is 1.3 miles away, in a much worse section. This cant be difficult for you to understand.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
SoOoOoOoO before this thread gets locked because we’re talking about Hartford homicides and local geography....

I went to Newington Pizza last week and had a pretty solid meatball and onion pie. Not traditionally a fan of Greek style pizza but this was surprisingly not bad.

There is no chance the pizza thread gets locked. Might as well close down the entire BY if that were to ever occur.

Reaction Score
Hartford has the 8th highest homicide rate in the country at 25.69 murders per 100K people.

I never even think about it. Perfectly safe here, far as I'm concerned. The people predisposed to violence (gangs, drug dealers, etc.) pretty much only shoot their own.
Downtown Hartford is the same as downtown Pittsburgh and basically the same as every other downtown, perfectly safe. He's just terrified of cities.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
I'm IN Hartford right now, stooge.
20111230__111231foxhole.jpg

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
I'm IN Hartford right now, stooge.

OK, slowly . . . D-O-W-N-T-O-W-N?
(asking for some friends)

Fwiw, I did take a look to see that Ashley runs through the heart of Asylum Hill, from Woodland to Garden. How preposterous to connect this with Asylum when it has been referenced with Pratt. I could pick some streets between Chapel and Elm Streets moving west from downtown New Haven and make it seem like The Shops at Yale are dangerous territory, and I have to travel through the Dwight neighborhood to get downtown from Westville. Apples to apples, please.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Damn Yankee's and their artisanal hipster foods are everywhere. Artichoke and pizza! Sacrilege!
Red pie with artichoke and eggplant, light mozz, well done is our number one go-to from Modern. Had it again tonight and it was one of the best ever. Really just about perfect. Nice char, plump artichokes, crisp eggplant, firm crust. Ideal amounts of sauce and cheese.

Ready in 20 minutes as always.

Come to think of it, that alone should make it the official Boneyard pizza.

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
Ready in 20 minutes as always.

Come to think of it, that alone should make it the official Boneyard pizza.

And it took less than 123 pages to figure it out. The wisdom of crowds.

Reaction Score
If they sell Sicilian slices like they do on 14th Street, and if the slices are as good as on 14th Street, this IS news!

2 Sundays ago, I got a slice for the first time in their new location across the street from where I used to walk up to the sidewalk window. I was skeptical, but it was a planned part of a walk from Fulton Street to GCT, and chosen over Katz's Deli. It was outstanding: crunchy, FULL-fat flavor, with great chunky plum tomato sauce. I don't eat anything like this anywhere else, but here it is special.

Noted: Before it closed, the Bridgeport Two Boots was terrible in comparison to the the one I used to go to in the West Village, and I have never had a transcendent pie from any Pepe's other than Wooster Street.

Between this, Goldburger's and its related restaurant, I'm seeing a new reason to check out Newington at some point.
So you’re saying Basille is worth a shot. I always find your commentary on food interesting as it seems more exciting to you. It lacks the cryptic and rhythmic tone of your other posts (which is the Hans trademark) but enjoyable to read nonetheless.

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
So you’re saying Basille is worth a shot. I always find your commentary on food interesting as it seems more exciting to you. It lacks the cryptic and rhythmic tone of your other posts (which is the Hans trademark) but enjoyable to read nonetheless.
If they can replicate the Sicilian slice available in the East Village, YES.

Reaction Score

Pittsburgh = 58.35 sq miles Hartford = 18.07 sq miles.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom