OT: - Best Pizza in CT | Page 110 | The Boneyard

OT: Best Pizza in CT

Reaction Score
We can hate on Prez and I agree, his scoring method has no rhyme or reason at times. But, make no mistake, he's the most influential food critic in the game right now for the target demos. When he gives an 8.8? People go there on that alone.

Indeed. I drove 20 mins out of my way for Ralph’s in Nutley, NJ. Pres gave it an 8.9. I thought it was more like an 8.3.
EAC2A00F-AEA6-4C88-A3C2-43C9513E4C35.jpeg

Reaction Score
Yes, both IS stores in Arlington, but I'd take the subs there before the pizza. The subs are out of this world.
I love their subs. They are very generous with their cheese on the pies and that goes a long way.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
We can hate on Prez and I agree, his scoring method has no rhyme or reason at times. But, make no mistake, he's the most influential food critic in the game right now for the target demos. When he gives an 8.8? People go there on that alone.

I'm going to guess the Venn Diagram of his target demo overlaps heavily with males who watch WWE, own Nespresso machines and drink Blue Moon.

Reaction Score
Your mashed potato memories make me sad for you. There are a few things I connect with Thanksgiving, but thankfully I connect mashed potatoes to Sunday pot roast, with the meat and potato pile covered in a thin red sauce, or, on the rare occasion we had steak, the potatoes were covered in au jus. I don't eat them all that much these days, and when I do I tend to dress them up, but you really should give mashed potatoes their due. They can be delightful.
This paragraph is perfection.

Reaction Score
St Louis “pizza” is the worst possible thing.

Swiss cheese on a cracker.

Gag.Ugh.
Actually, there’s this place, I think Pi, in St. Louis, that is amazing. Obama was a fan. They opened one in DC. It’s different but really great.

Reaction Score
My wife (lifelong Pittsburgher) equates Colony pizza with the old Chef Boy-ar-dee pizza kits she remembers as a kid. This is the same woman who once took me to Beto's, so I discount her opinion.
Too funny. I never did those nor have I been to Beto’s...
It has to be a thing though that I truly dream of Colony pizza and wake up starving.

Reaction Score
So, I'm in the midst of planning a Pizza Crawl with my friends through the big 5 spots - Pepe's, Sally's, Modern, Bar and Roseland. Tell me a Yard version of that wouldn't be epic.

uconnphil2016

Head Rat
Reaction Score
"everyone know the rules, one bite blows"

Man hes gonna give Bar a 3.

It really sucks that he’s going to Bar. So many better spots, he’s gonna be disappointed after having the big 3 and then heading to bar

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score
So, I'm in the midst of planning a Pizza Crawl with my friends through the big 5 spots - Pepe's, Sally's, Modern, Bar and Roseland. Tell me a Yard version of that wouldn't be epic.

Should add Zuppardis and Ernies

Reaction Score
I can attest to the fact that the reverse often happens. A lot of the friends I left behind in ny bring Pepe's back to ny with them when they're in Connecticut, even if they have to stop at the easy-on, easy-off branch in Fairfield. If someone in the office is in Connecticut and doesn't bring back Pepe's, they're in the doghouse. Passing through at 6 am is not an excuse. They are supposed to wait.

A lot of it is just a preference with crust thickness. I've always been partial to Chicago style, but get sneered at in the Northeast for saying that. I was also in St. Louis this summer and they have their own style which was hideous. It was like they tried to see if they could make something really awful in the shape of a pizza, call it pizza, and see if people would still buy it.
What’s funny is if you are open minded, you can appreciate these geographic differences in style. It doesn’t make one better and you may have a preference. But I do like Chicago pizza although I would never go to an Uno... it’s like why???
I do get thinking pizza in places like Florida (or Ireland - which I got sick on) is pointless. Just like chain bagels or dear GOD bagels from Dunkin Donuts (just NO) are a non-starter after having them from the bagel capital of the world, Bergen County, NJ. Not even NYC can compete with Bergen... and I’m not a Jersey girl. I mean I dream of Colony. But I was stuck in Bergen for 5 years and spent 18 months as a drug rep... omg, those babies got me into some tough offices!
But you can still be a CT pizza connoisseur and enjoy pizza from other places. If you like wine do you only drink French wines? That would be ridiculous (although if you have watched “The Tudors”, watching Henry VIII and Anne Boleyn extol the virtues of English wine to the French ambassador - who they can’t even get to recognize the virtue of their child’s conception! - is amazing).

Curiouser
Reaction Score
It really sucks that he’s going to Bar. So many better spots, he’s gonna be disappointed after having the big 3 and then heading to bar
BAR belongs imo. It is good enough and different enough that it deserves to be in contention, depending on the pie you get. Oh, and their BAR salad is awesome.

I don't think I agree that Roseland belongs. Their seafood pie is the signature dish imo, but that's a totally different animal than the pies to which you'd be comparing it. Their other pies are good, but I'd consider them more on par with the other non-New Haven, New Haven style apizza places like Zupp's, Palm Beach, Tolli's and Grand.

I think of it as the Big 3 (Sally's, Modern, Pepe's) plus one (BAR). If I were to add another, I'd keep it in New Haven and do DaLegna, which can also be excellent.

Of course Bufalina beats them all imo, but is more in a league of its own.

Last edited:

uconnphil2016

Head Rat
Reaction Score
BAR belongs imo. It is good enough and different enough that it deserves to be in contention, depending on the pie you get. Oh, and their salad is awesome.

I don't think I agree that Roseland belongs. Their seafood pie is the signature dish imo, but that's a totally different animal than the pies to which you'd be comparing it. Their other pies are good, but I'd consider them more on par with the other non-New Haven, New Haven style apizza places like Zupp's, Palm Beach, Tolli's and Grand.

I think of it as the Big 3 (Sally's, Modern, Pepe's) plus one (BAR). If I were to add another, I'd keep it in New Haven and do DaLegna, which can also be excellent.

I’m not a huge dalegna guy either. I haven’t had Next Door but maybe I’d throw that in? It looks awesome in pictures

Reaction Score
He should go to Domenick and Pia's in Waterbury, best slice place in the state.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
I’m not a huge dalegna guy either. I haven’t had Next Door but maybe I’d throw that in? It looks awesome in pictures
I've had mixed results with Da Legna, but I agree I'm not huge on them.

Great point about Next Door. That's the Big Green Pizza Truck people and they make great pie. A good friend and fellow pizza snob has been and says they are very good; and I believe @Hans Sprungfeld has also said good things. I haven't been yet because they don't open until 4:00 and I am not usually around New Haven for dinner.

August_West

Reaction Score

Bufalina is excellent.

Bobby's Apizza in North Branford better though.

August_West

Reaction Score
Been by it a bunch and have heard good things from locals but have never been. What's the call there?

I like the classic plain pie with extra romano. But any pizza standby standard is good.

Reaction Score
Bufalina is excellent.

Bobby's Apizza in North Branford better though.
Don't go insulting Bufalina like that! (I haven't been to Bobby's) ;)

Coal and Daisies was pretty good in Branford, loud/crowded, bar atmosphere. But the pizza was quality.

August_West

Reaction Score
Don't go insulting Bufalina like that! (I haven't been to Bobby's) ;)

Coal and Daisies was pretty good in Branford, loud/crowded, bar atmosphere. But the pizza was quality.

Its not really better than Bufalina. I just like playing with my buddy 8893.

Its very good Classic style Pizza though. Not disappointing at all. Eat it there if you can. You will feel like you are back in the early 70's (or if you arent old enough to remember the 70's , well, thats what it was like)

Reaction Score
Anyone have a weird favorite pizza they custom order? Curious to hear what kind of different things people like.

For me, it's Pepe's white, broccoli, grated cheese only, olive oil, salt, pepper, garlic, oregano. Well done crust. (basically the traditional white clam with a broccoli sub for the clams).

Other personal favorite is margherita with sausage and a lot of basil.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom