OT: - Best Pizza in CT | Page 124 | The Boneyard

OT: Best Pizza in CT

Reaction Score
Fox 61's Foodie Friday had a nice feature on Roseland Apizza last night:

Foodie Friday: Roseland Apizza in Derby

I had to head up to the Valley for a funeral last month and bought a Roseland Pie for the family - half peperini and half bacon, onion & peper. Driving by the place (except for the now re-built Ryan Field) and walking inside was a trip down memory lane as I used to live right down the street. Haven't been there in maybe a decade. Anyway, even re-heated the next day, it was good and got two thumbs up from my boys. Its not equal to the big 3 in New Haven; but, its in the next tier and is good when one doesn't want to deal with New Haven.

Reaction Score
Richmond VA PLEASE!!!

A lot of folks from CT have moved to the DC metro area over the years. So, no big surprise. Only surprise is if all 4 locations are in VA. I think they woudl be smarter to open 2 in VA (say Alexandria which has a good food scene and coves the eastern side of NoVa and Tysons Corner which covers the west side of NoVA), one in DC itself, and then the forth on the Maryland side between Chevey Chase and Rockville.

Reaction Score
Don’t think it’s been mentioned, but South Town Apizza in Southington is very good. Just opened within the last year and we finally gave it a shot last night after a few recommendations from friends of ours. Pizza was excellent.

Also would recommend Nonna Artemisa in downtown southington.

Reaction Score
A lot of folks from CT have moved to the DC metro area over the years. So, no big surprise. Only surprise is if all 4 locations are in VA. I think they woudl be smarter to open 2 in VA (say Alexandria which has a good food scene and coves the eastern side of NoVa and Tysons Corner which covers the west side of NoVA), one in DC itself, and then the forth on the Maryland side between Chevey Chase and Rockville.

Then thats not all in VA. I can definitely understand Alexandria and Tysons Corner. I think Richmond and even down in VA beach would be great places too. The Food scene is Richmond is off the charts. Huge foodie town. Pepes would do amazing here imo. There is literally NO competition to speak of.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
I call BS! I call shenanigans! i'm callin frank pepe, after I call Bellevue to net and straitjacket these gavones. they say Big Green Truck is Connecticut's most popular. peak pazzo.
see kids? don't do drugs, and stay in school...
The Best Pizza Place in Every State | Eat This, Not That!

Imagine how NYers feel when finding out the best pizza in NYC is a Brazilian joint near Randall's Island.

Reaction Score
Then thats not all in VA. I can definitely understand Alexandria and Tysons Corner. I think Richmond and even down in VA beach would be great places too. The Food scene is Richmond is off the charts. Huge foodie town. Pepes would do amazing here imo. There is literally NO competition to speak of.

I've day dreamed about reaching out to them about opening a franchise here in Atlanta.

RichZ

Fort the ead!
Reaction Score
I had to head up to the Valley for a funeral last month and bought a Roseland Pie for the family - half peperini and half bacon, onion & peper. Driving by the place (except for the now re-built Ryan Field) and walking inside was a trip down memory lane as I used to live right down the street. Haven't been there in maybe a decade. Anyway, even re-heated the next day, it was good and got two thumbs up from my boys. Its not equal to the big 3 in New Haven; but, its in the next tier and is good when one doesn't want to deal with New Haven.

I enjoy Roseland's pie a lot. But I'm the only one in my family who does, so I only get it once in a while any more. But one thing I can agree with my wife and offspring on, if you're not a regular, the service at Roseland is atrocious. If you're not part of the in crowd there, you WILL be seated in the most inconvenient spot, and you WILL be ignored by the waitress. Heaven forbid a couple regulars come in right after you, because you will likely get to watch them order, get their food, eat their food, kibitz with the waitress and the cook who comes out from the kitchen to sit with them for a few minutes, and then maybe get served.

Reaction Score
I agree that Roseland is very good, but it is also pricey and there are some negative intangibles about the place. Plus, the New Haven places are so good and not too far. I am torn whether to hit Pepe's or Sally's next time I am in New Haven. Leaning toward Sally's as it has been 20 plus years.

Reaction Score
I enjoy Roseland's pie a lot. But I'm the only one in my family who does, so I only get it once in a while any more. But one thing I can agree with my wife and offspring on, if you're not a regular, the service at Roseland is atrocious. If you're not part of the in crowd there, you WILL be seated in the most inconvenient spot, and you WILL be ignored by the waitress. Heaven forbid a couple regulars come in right after you, because you will likely get to watch them order, get their food, eat their food, kibitz with the waitress and the cook who comes out from the kitchen to sit with them for a few minutes, and then maybe get served.

Its the Valley (and yes, I do have some local connections there as I am the only person in my generation and the one before who did not gratuate from Seymour, Ansonia, Derby, Shelton or one of the local Catholic HS and like everyone in the family attended chruch at St,. Mary's) :cool:

Reaction Score
Imagine how NYers feel when finding out the best pizza in NYC is a Brazilian joint near Randall's Island.

Having been born and raised in CT, lived in Massachusets, New Hampshire and New Jersey while spending a lot of time in New York and Maine and eaten a few hundred (maybe thousand) pies whoever wrote that story needs to contact the FBI and beg to be placed in witness protection.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom