OT: - Best Pizza in CT | Page 123 | The Boneyard

OT: Best Pizza in CT

Mazhude

"Bark, Bark!"
Reaction Score
I'm planning on building a coal-fired oven in my back yard this afternoon with copies of Pinito's book and making New Haven style pies here in DC as my oven goes up in flames.. oh, and turning off the internet as well.

Mazhude

"Bark, Bark!"
Reaction Score
Antica Pizzeria Port'Alba is a pizzeria in Naples, Italy, which is widely believed to be the world's first pizzeria.

History
First established in 1738 as a stand for peddlers, Antica Pizzeria Port'Alba was opened in 1830 in the town center at Via Port'Alba 18. The restaurant replaced street vendors who would make pizza in wood-fired ovens and bring it onto the street, keeping it warm in small tin stoves they balanced on their head. It soon became a prominent meeting place for men in the street. Most patrons were artists, students, or others with very little money, so the pizzas made were generally simple, with toppings such as oil and garlic.. A payment system, called pizza a otto, was developed that allowed customers to pay up to eight days after their meal. A resulting local joke was that a meal from Port'Alba might be someone's last free meal, if they died before they paid. Additionally, patrons created poetry to honor the pizzas. Antica Pizzeria Port'Alba is still in business today, located between a number of bookstores. It is widely believed to be the world's first pizzeria.
Food
Since its creation in 1830, the eatery's ovens have been lined with lava rocks from nearby Mount Vesuvius. At the time of its creation, one popular pizza was the Mastunicola, topped with lard, sheep milk cheese, and basil. Basil and oregano were the most common herbs, while other toppings included seafood, buffalo mozzarella, cured meats, and cecinielli, small white fish still in development.

Mazhude

"Bark, Bark!"
Reaction Score
Antica Pizzeria Port'Alba is a pizzeria in Naples, Italy, which is widely believed to be the world's first pizzeria.

History
First established in 1738 as a stand for peddlers, Antica Pizzeria Port'Alba was opened in 1830 in the town center at Via Port'Alba 18. The restaurant replaced street vendors who would make pizza in wood-fired ovens and bring it onto the street, keeping it warm in small tin stoves they balanced on their head. It soon became a prominent meeting place for men in the street. Most patrons were artists, students, or others with very little money, so the pizzas made were generally simple, with toppings such as oil and garlic.. A payment system, called pizza a otto, was developed that allowed customers to pay up to eight days after their meal. A resulting local joke was that a meal from Port'Alba might be someone's last free meal, if they died before they paid. Additionally, patrons created poetry to honor the pizzas. Antica Pizzeria Port'Alba is still in business today, located between a number of bookstores. It is widely believed to be the world's first pizzeria.
Food
Since its creation in 1830, the eatery's ovens have been lined with lava rocks from nearby Mount Vesuvius. At the time of its creation, one popular pizza was the Mastunicola, topped with lard, sheep milk cheese, and basil. Basil and oregano were the most common herbs, while other toppings included seafood, buffalo mozzarella, cured meats, and cecinielli, small white fish still in development.

This is about an hour north of Maiori, where Frank Pepe was born in 1893.

Reaction Score
Those are per capita rates. Size is meaningless in this context.
Pittsburgh's square miles includes a lot more affluence than Hartford. If Hartford was expanded to this size, crime rates per capita would go way down.

Reaction Score

History
Food
I'll be in Naples at the end of the month. I'll be sure to check this out. I can't wait to eat pizza 3 meals a day.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
I'll be in Naples at the end of the month. I'll be sure to check this out. I can't wait to eat pizza 3 meals a day.

Hoping you have better luck than we did on our last trip to Italy - we wanted to go, but decided against it as Naples was in the third week of a garbage strike. Our concierge basically said, "Are you nuts? It's gross!" (albeit more diplomatically).

Curiouser
Reaction Score
This steps up the pressure to go there, if only to be able to say, "I ate there before expansion."
Still open under original conditions, right?
I think so but don't know.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Parking is going to be a pain. It's already a headache over there
I have had unusually good luck with the parking there the last few times I've been; but there is always Fair Street (or the CVS lot across the street).

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Fox 61's Foodie Friday had a nice feature on Roseland Apizza last night:

Foodie Friday: Roseland Apizza in Derby

Also on the local apizza front, our oldest was home briefly last night during her spring break and she requested that I bring home Modern. For the first time in at least a decade I could not get through. I literally redialed more than 200 times during around 30 minutes from 5:15 to 5:45 before giving up. They must have taken the phones off the hook. I have heard others complain about it before, but I think this is only the second time in my life that I ever experienced it.

Ended up settling on Amato's in Madison, which was very good, as usual. IMO they are definitely right there with Grand Apizza and the other "almost New Haven" apizza places. Most importantly, she was happy (although I'm sure a bit disappointed that it didn't have the cachet that Modern has with her now that Barstool went to Modern...).

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score
Fox 61's Foodie Friday had a nice feature on Roseland Apizza last night:

Foodie Friday: Roseland Apizza in Derby

Also on the local apizza front, our oldest was home briefly last night during her spring break and she requested that I bring home Modern. For the first time in at least a decade I could not get through. I literally redialed more than 200 times during around 30 minutes from 5:15 to 5:45 before giving up. They must have taken the phones off the hook. I have heard others complain about it before, but I think this is only the second time in my life that I ever experienced it.

Ended up settling on Amato's in Madison, which was very good, as usual. IMO they are definitely right there with Grand Apizza and the other "almost New Haven" apizza places. Most importantly, she was happy (although I'm sure a bit disappointed that it didn't have the cachet that Modern has with her now that Barstool went to Modern...).
Shoulda hit up Bobby’s

dvegas

Duck Fuke
Reaction Score
Tried Roseland a few weeks ago after hearings years of hype. Dreck. Ketchup on English muffins are better. Sauce out of a can. Greasy cheese. Hormel pepperoni. No way it was a blip. Must be a valley thing. My bad Pepe's Fairfield was the same ride from where I was

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Shoulda hit up Bobby’s
I think your insistence is making me avoid it.
Tried Roseland a few weeks ago after hearings years of hype. Dreck. Ketchup on English muffins are better. Sauce out of a can. Greasy cheese. Hormel pepperoni. No way it was a blip. Must be a valley thing. My bad Pepe's Fairfield was the same ride from where I was
Seafood pie is the signature item there and it is truly unique and excellent. It is also insanely expensive and bears very little resemblance to pizza.

uconnphil2016

Head Rat
Reaction Score
I went to Harry’s in West Hartford center last night...I dunno if my taste buds have changed or their pizza has gone downhill, but it tasted like digiornos

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom