OT: - Best Pizza in CT | Page 121 | The Boneyard

OT: Best Pizza in CT

Reaction Score
Tremendous Pizza at Roseland in Derby. FRESH CLAMS and the other ingredients are fantastic
One of the largest diameter pizzas I ever ordered anywhere. Their sausage and mushroom is the bomb.

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
I don’t want to derail this thread but I need to know if we are in soup season @Hans Sprungfeld ?
Soup Group 2019 started on 1/13, though there were cancelations on weeks 2 & 3 due to first to ice & then host family illness.

Of doubtless interest to the Boneyard crowd, last Sunday's gathering featured a 13" MacBook (resting on a towel on a radiator) streaming the Super Bowl. The Cesspool poker game should have it so good.

When I got back home, it was 3-3, so I got to see all the excitement, starting with the Verizon first responders commercial that brought a tear to my eyes.

(Thanks for asking?)

Reaction Score
Soup Group 2019 started on 1/13, though there were cancelations on weeks 2 & 3 due to first to ice & then host family illness.

Of doubtless interest to the Boneyard crowd, last Sunday's gathering featured a 13" MacBook (resting on a towel on a radiator) streaming the Super Bowl. The Cesspool poker game should have it so good.

When I got back home, it was 3-3, so I got to see all the excitement, starting with the Verizon first responders commercial that brought a tear to my eyes.

(Thanks for asking?)

I’m a big soup fan (ask @Mano). I was hoping for pics with your new phone.

Reaction Score
Had a nice pie at GG’s Wood Fired Pizza in Milford ... thin crust, tasty sauce, perfect amount of mozzarella

Reaction Score

(Thanks for asking?)
Soup group, lol. You simply must include Boberto, you simply must! Don’t make it too haughty though. No need for vichyssoise or gazpacho or anything. Cold and still in the can is plenty good for him.

More seriously, I’m not sure why the best we can do for soup to go is places like Panera (barely passable). It’s the Northeast, it’s cold or brisk 6 months out of the year. Why aren’t there dedicated soup places? Soup is easy to make and you get a great yield on your materials. Would seem like a no brainer. There was Zoup but that place folded. I’d be down for quality soup with decent variety and some no frills sandwiches.

Reaction Score
Soup group, lol. You simply must include Boberto, you simply must! Don’t make it too haughty though. No need for vichyssoise or gazpacho or anything. Cold and still in the can is plenty good for him.

More seriously, I’m not sure why the best we can do for soup to go is places like Panera (barely passable). It’s the Northeast, it’s cold or brisk 6 months out of the year. Why aren’t there dedicated soup places? Soup is easy to make and you get a great yield on your materials. Would seem like a no brainer. There was Zoup but that place folded. I’d be down for quality soup with decent variety and some no frills sandwiches.

Halls Market has pretty good soup and to go stuff. CT Organic Pasta (just opened) isn’t bad. Lenas Pizza had the best chicken noodle soup but it’s dead.

I’m sure @8893 has some good spots.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
More seriously, I’m not sure why the best we can do for soup to go is places like Panera (barely passable). It’s the Northeast, it’s cold or brisk 6 months out of the year. Why aren’t there dedicated soup places? Soup doeasy to make and you get a great yield on your materials. Would seem like a no brainer. There was Zoup but that place folded. I’d be down for quality soup with decent variety and some no frills sandwiches.

Having done soup for a few years at my coffeehouse, demand is not nearly as high as you'd think. Granted we could only roll out one or two a day, but if we didn't have what you wanted, you didn't buy. People are very conservative and picky about their soup and are generally unwilling to try new things. Got to the point where I'd only make soups I personally loved because I knew I'd have to eat the leftovers to break even.

I do make a mean West African groundnut stew though.

Reaction Score
I feel like eating soup out is a risky venture because they're a vehicle for repurposing yesterday's special that didn't get bought up.

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
I don’t want to derail this thread...
I blame myself for responding. That's one page we'll never get back.

Meantime, sticking with the G5 & still missing VM notifications, but Moto sent me an official specs & pics teaser this morning on G7 phones out this spring, but the best bumps up to $299 msrp.

Back to pizza...

Anybody been to DaLegna's sibling Nolo?

Curiouser
Reaction Score
The hands-down soup winner in CT is Chef’s Table in Fairfield, which has something like six to eight great homemade soups every day.

Thyme & Season in Hamden also has six homemade choices every day, but since they have to have some vegan, some GF, etc., usually only a couple appeal to me.

Claire’s Corner Copia in New Haven always has a few good soups, but all vegetarian.

Whole Enchilada (several locations) also has several good soups every day.

Tikkaway in New Haven has an always-reliable Mulligatawny soup.

Wethersfield Pizza has the best restaurant minestrone I’ve ever had, but I think it’s only available November through March.

The soup du jour at Union League is almost always worth getting if you are there for lunch.

And of course there is Mecha in New Haven and Fairfield (and elsewhere I think?) for the Asian noodle soup universe, which is really a whole ‘nother thing.

Reaction Score
I blame myself for responding. That's one page we'll never get back.

Meantime, sticking with the G5 & still missing VM notifications, but Moto sent me an official specs & pics teaser this morning on G7 phones out this spring, but the best bumps up to $299 msrp.

Back to pizza...

Anybody been to DaLegna's sibling Nolo?

I’m sure the 7 year old thread will recover.

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
The hands-down soup winner in CT is Chef’s Table in Fairfield, which has something like six to eight great homemade soups every day.

Thyme & Season in Hamden also has six homemade choices every day, but since they have to have some vegan, some GF, etc., usually only a couple appeal to me.

Tikkaway in New Haven has an always-reliable Mulligatawny soup.

Wethersfield Pizza has the best restaurant minestrone I’ve ever had, but I think it’s only available November through March.

The soup du jour at Union League is almost always worth getting if you are there for lunch.

And of course there is Mecha in New Haven and Fairfield (and elsewhere I think?) for the Asian noodle soup universe, which is really a whole ‘nother thing.
Chef's Table's peak was original Westport location across from the old Y & C&HT Church nearly 2 decades ago.

Thanks for heads up on Tikkaway's mulligatawny; the others I knew and kind of hoped for a surprise.

That Union League mention, though, sounds like the stuff of @Deepster's nightmares.

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
Walked in just the other day for lunch. Did not like the vibe or smell (I am big on smell). Same floor as Jet Cleaners, which was there for more than 60 years. I don’t know how they managed to take over a dry cleaner and not have to remediate. In any event, I didn’t love the lunch menu or prices, but settled on some choices and then waited to order. Bartender had all of three other customers but somehow could not be bothered to come check on me again for more than ten minutes while he did little else except actively ignore me, check his phone and talk to a waiter who was also doing nothing. I gathered my things and walked out with a few choice barbs, and headed up to Mediterranea for my weekly foul mudammas, so happy I did.

Nothing like word of mouth. I'm sold.

Can't recall if you've been to Next Door. I liked it my one time.

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
Artichoke as a topping is pretty common in Italy.

I'm sort of surprised there's room for pizza chains to succeed in CT. Or why a franchisee would pick CT for a pizza chain.

I guess the kids these days put a premium on making their own pizza with wacky nonsensical combos over a classic NH pizza. We have a local chain of "build your pizza" that is an abomination for folks who appreciate crust. Just awful. But it's popular in that demographic.
But not in a NY pizza.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Nothing like word of mouth. I'm sold.

Can't recall if you've been to Next Door. I liked it my one time.
Not yet but I have heard good things from you and others and I definitely want to. They are only open for dinner, which severely limits my opportunities.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom