OT: - Best Pizza in CT | Page 109 | The Boneyard

OT: Best Pizza in CT

Curiouser
Reaction Score
DiFara is legendary with the old fella, but didn’t it land on the list for cleanliness recently? I remember reading an article about them that wasn’t very flattering.
Sally’s is not known for its cleanliness, and they certainly don’t aim to flatter anyone.

Reaction Score
DiFara is legendary with the old fella, but didn’t it land on the list for cleanliness recently? I remember reading an article about them that wasn’t very flattering.
I am literally on a pizza run of the top 100 joints east of the Mississippi. Sugars beng number 5 was a must. Despite all the tv praise it looks about 85% grimier in the real. Still good and worthy of its top 10 ranking.

Reaction Score
He liked Modern a little better, 8.8 to 8.5 for Pepe’s. So NH pizza aficionados, what say you?
Prez is a putz, he gave Giordano's the same score as Pepe's and gave Pizzeria Regina a higher score than Pepe's and Modern. I've had pizza at all the old best places in CT., NY, Dirty Jerz, Chicago, and all over Italy. The big three are always pretty excellent and I've had the best pizzas of my life at all three when they were firing on all cylinders.

Reaction Score
Yes Antico is good as is the pizza place in a Krog Street market, Veruni Napoli; ever been there?

I will say that pizza in Atlanta is better than pizza in DC; THAT is how awful DC pizza is.
Timber and pupitela. Blah. Shouldn’t open at five until you mastered your craft. Pupitela has great gelato though. The best in that area is a place in bay campus I’ve been going to for 25 years. Picollis. No tricks just your standard grease pooled pie. Best cheesesteaks ANYWHERE. I’ve worked philly for five years. They may claim the introduction but this joint is king.

Reaction Score
We can hate on Prez and I agree, his scoring method has no rhyme or reason at times. But, make no mistake, he's the most influential food critic in the game right now for the target demos. When he gives an 8.8? People go there on that alone.

Reaction Score
His older scores from a few years ago are not consistent with what he does today. But I agree 8.5 is too low.

I’ve been to DiFara in Brooklyn recently which he gave a 9.4 and Pepe’s is better. He gave John’s of Bleeker Street 9.2 and everyone in my family said Pepe’s is better.

I've been to both John's, Bleeker and Times Square (the Times Square location is a great place to hit with a bunch of kids in tow that won't break a budget unlike most places in Times Square) and the original Pepe's is better. That said, I have Modern over Pepe's original in my book followed by Bar then Sally's.

Back in NY, I actually hold Sottocasa in Brooklyn right off of Atlantic in high regards, especially for their old school sausage pie. If you're going to an event at Barclay's instead of MSG, there's a Patsy's on Flatbush that is also good to for kids.

Reaction Score
I've been to both John's, Bleeker and Times Square (the Times Square location is a great place to hit with a bunch of kids in tow that won't break a budget unlike most places in Times Square) and the original Pepe's is better. That said, I have Modern over Pepe's original in my book followed by Bar then Sally's.

Back in NY, I actually hold Sottocasa in Brooklyn right off of Atlantic in high regards, especially for their old school sausage pie. If you're going to an event at Barclay's instead of MSG, there's a Patsy's on Flatbush that is also good to for kids.
The John's in the Theatre District is in a beautiful building and I liked the pizza the few times I went, John's on Bleeker wasn't quite as good as I thought it would be. Only had the one on Bleeker once and maybe it wasn't their or my best day. Lombardi's is totally overrated but last time I was there what looked to be a hobbit in an overcoat got up from the table behind me, it was Danny DeVito.

GemParty

Co~host of the Sliders & Curveballs Podcast
Reaction Score
Celebrating 80 yrs in Meriden is Little Rendezvous. Tried it a few years ago, it was delicious. Long waits on Sat, cash only, sketchy neighborhood. I think it’s worth it.

Reaction Score
Prez is a putz, he gave Giordano's the same score as Pepe's and gave Pizzeria Regina a higher score than Pepe's and Modern. I've had pizza at all the old best places in CT., NY, Dirty Jerz, Chicago, and all over Italy. The big three are always pretty excellent and I've had the best pizzas of my life at all three when they were firing on all cylinders.
The Pizzeria Regina review was one of his earlier ones when the scores weren't really consistent with what he does now. Plus he admitted it got a bump because of the sentimental value since it was his favorite place when he was a kid. Pizzeria Regina (obviously just the original one in the North End and not the franchised ones) is pretty good for around Boston but it doesn't compare to the New Haven places.

Just to give you an example of the inflated ratings of the earlier versions check out the one from Monte's in Lynn, MA below. I had never heard of the place before seeing the review and haven't heard of it since. He always says now that nothing can be a 10. I think of the newer ones 9.4 at Di Fara is the highest I've seen.

One Bite

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Di Fara's is like 50 years old and it looks like it hasn't been cleaned or upgraded in 50 years. I was at Franklin Giant Grinder a few weeks ago and it's the same.

zls44

Your #icebus Tour Director
Reaction Score
A vote, if one wasn't in the previous 103 pages, for Chunky Tomato's in Bristol. Very, very good.

GemParty

Co~host of the Sliders & Curveballs Podcast
Reaction Score
Di Fara's is like 50 years old and it looks like it hasn't been cleaned or upgraded in 50 years. I was at Franklin Giant Grinder a few weeks ago and it's the same.

Franklin, which I enjoy, also needs some TLC.
I’d love to try Scott’s NYC pizza Tour one day. He goes all over by bus or foot.

Here’s one reviewers thoughts on DiFara. I’ve never been, but I know the rep. She prefers Best Pizza, Frank Pinellos, spot in Williamsburg, from the Pizza Show on
Viceland.
Not A Love Letter: Di Fara Is Home To New York City's Junkiest Pizza Slice - Food Republic

Reaction Score
Hot take. I think Bar is slightly above CT pizza replacement value. Mashed and bacon included.

The reason Prez is popular is because of his schtick, not because he is some amazing arbiter of pizza.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
you really have to try it. Its damn good. And Im the same way. mashed potatoes remind me of Thanksgiving, thus I have zero use for them.

Your mashed potato memories make me sad for you. There are a few things I connect with Thanksgiving, but thankfully I connect mashed potatoes to Sunday pot roast, with the meat and potato pile covered in a thin red sauce, or, on the rare occasion we had steak, the potatoes were covered in au jus. I don't eat them all that much these days, and when I do I tend to dress them up, but you really should give mashed potatoes their due. They can be delightful.

Except on pizza. I don't get carbs on top of carbs or carbs inside carbs (like pierogi). Or carbs inside other carbs on top of more carbs, like the numerous pierogi pizzas served around here in Pgh.

CTBasketball

Former Owner of the Pizza Thread
Reaction Score
Celebrating 80 yrs in Meriden is Little Rendezvous. Tried it a few years ago, it was delicious. Long waits on Sat, cash only, sketchy neighborhood. I think it’s worth it.
2nd best pizza place to ever be in Meriden! The best today.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Oh yeah, floppy pizza. He hates that.
That’s what I don’t get: his Modern slice was floppy and his Pepe’s slice was firm, but he rated Modern higher.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Agree it is very good. Went there on a weekday and it was almost empty.

Reaction Score

My sister goes there a lot, loves it. She says the owner used to cook pies at Verdolini’s.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom