OT: - Best Pizza in CT | Page 89 | The Boneyard

OT: Best Pizza in CT

Reaction Score
Cavallos, Antonio’s, & Sanapietro’s are far superior to anything Nardelli’s can make you. All within a half mile of the Waterbury locations. Do yourself a favor and get your sandwich from one of them
You know what's up.

RichZ

Fort the ead!
Reaction Score
I stopped at the one in Middletown on my way through, hade 'em make what I like in a sandwich, and was pleasantly surprised. Been looking for an excuse to hit one up again.

Hankster

What do I know.
Reaction Score
For your first time you need to go to the one in Waterbury. As for what sandwich you get, do what you like.
Is that the one off of Scott Road exit? Across Interstate 84? Haven't been home in years. I remember when they put that there. Always wondered why they would that place near or on the on ramp to 84 West.

Hankster

What do I know.
Reaction Score
If you're in Waterbury go to Cavallo's instead or go to Domenick & Pia's for slices.
Cavallos is still around. Amazing.Great place when I lived home many years ago.

dvegas

Duck Fuke
Reaction Score
I tried Nardell's once and could hardly gag half the sandwich down. The "vegetables" don't come within 100 miles of what goes on a Mufaletta in New Orleans.

IMO Subway is better, luckily no need to patronize either establishment with the plethora of good (and great) independent Italian deli's in CT

Reaction Score
Any good grinders in the farmington valley? I have not found one? Help

Reaction Score
Anyone born and raised in East Hartford knows that Nardi’s pizza (now in SW)is the best in the world!!!

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Never been to Nardelli's, but I made this incredible muffuletta tonight for Mardi Gras. Finally got the Central Grocery recipe down:
  • One loaf crusty Italian bread with sesame seeds (Apicella's in New Haven is perfect)
  • Central Grocery Olive Salad
  • 1/4 lb genoa salami
  • 1/4 lb hot capicola
  • 1/4 lb mortadella
  • 1/8 lb mozzarella (sliced)
  • 1/8 lb provolone
Instructions
  1. Cut the Italian loaf in half lengthwise (if using Apicella loaf, use around 2/3)

2. Generously brush both halves with the oil from the olive salad.

3. Layer as such: half of the salami on the bottom, then the mortadella, mozzarella, capicola, provolone, and remainder of the salami. Top all of this with the olive salad.

4. Add the top of the bread back on and press down. It's good to go as-is, but some people leave it compressed for an hour or more. Some people wrap it up tightly and let it sit overnight.

5. Cut the sandwich into slices. Moan as you eat each bite.
I think my youngest daughter may be a super-taster. She's only 11 but she's got a better palate than both of her older sisters and 99% of the adults I know. Last night, while enjoying her first of two helpings of muffuletta she said "Something in here tastes like bologna, except better, like really, really good bologna." Mrs. 8893 began to question her extensively about where she's ever had bologna before, as it's not something we ever buy; and I took great pleasure in explaining to her that she just described exactly what mortadella is.

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score
I think my youngest daughter may be a super-taster. She's only 11 but she's got a better palate than both of her older sisters and 99% of the adults I know. Last night, while enjoying her first of two helpings of muffuletta she said "Something in here tastes like bologna, except better, like really, really good bologna." Mrs. 8893 began to question her extensively about where she's ever had bologna before, as it's not something we ever buy; and I took great pleasure in explaining to her that she just described exactly what mortadella is.

I like Bologna.

There are REAL good Bolognas. Hummel makes one. Hebrew National makes one.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
I like Bologna.

I like it too, just haven't had it in a very long time as we never buy it. It goes bad fast, too, and begins to feel and smell nasty after just a few days in the fridge. My uncle turned me on to fried bologna sandwiches as a kid and I still ate them a lot through college but haven't had it much in any form since.

But mortadella > bologna imo. Friends of ours put ground mortadella in their meatloaf and that tastes great, too.

Proving, as always, more pork fat > less.

August_West

Reaction Score
I like it too, just haven't had it in a very long time as we never buy it. It goes bad fast, too, and begins to feel and smell nasty after just a few days in the fridge. My uncle turned me on to fried bologna sandwiches as a kid and I still ate them a lot through college but haven't had it much in any form since.

But mortadella > bologna imo. Friends of ours put ground mortadella in their meatloaf and that tastes great, too.

Proving, as always, more pork fat > less.

Mortadella is great too.

People associate The plastic Oscar Meyer crap as the last word on Bologna. Not even close. Midwesterners do Bologna right.

Reaction Score
I like Bologna.

Don't like the thin deli bologna, I like it thick cut and fried on the flat top with mustard on top. Mortadella I like in an Italian sub or thin cut and fried on the flat top but plain liverwurst spread on a nice soft roll with mustard is an all-time favorite.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
Why was the Nardelli's thread merged with the Pizza thread instead of the grinder one?

Reaction Score
I like Bologna.

I'm 38 years old and I still crave Bologna from time to time. I don't know if I've ever had a "real good" Bologna, but I grew up on and still love Wunderbar Bologna. It's delicious and is super, super cheap.

August_West

Reaction Score
I'm 38 years old and I still crave Bologna from time to time. I don't know if I've ever had a "real good" Bologna, but I grew up on and still love Wunderbar Bologna. It's delicious and is super, super cheap.

Wunderbar is cheap, and I dont mind it.

Next time you are at the Deli see if they have Hummel.

Reaction Score
Any of you bologna experts ever try Martin Rosols veal loaf. I grew up on the stuff (Polish heritage). So good! It's like a mild bologna, less sweet with a black pepper note. Excellent fried. It's hard to find, gotta be within a certain radius of New Britain, S&S on the West Hartford/Newington line stocks it.

Reaction Score
Any of you bologna experts ever try Martin Rosols veal loaf. I grew up on the stuff (Polish heritage). So good! It's like a mild bologna, less sweet with a black pepper note. Excellent fried. It's hard to find, gotta be within a certain radius of New Britain, S&S on the West Hartford/Newington line stocks it.
Veal loaf is good stuff. Whatever happened to chicken roll? I loved that crap as a kid!!!

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom