OT: - Best Pizza in CT | Page 91 | The Boneyard

OT: Best Pizza in CT

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score
haven't been, but I've heard the other Pepes locations are not particularly good. Hope Sallys doesn't fall down the same rabbit hole.

Its an impossible standard.

They are still better than pretty much anything else offered in the areas they are in. Just not as good as home base.

But home base has been pissing me off with crust inconsistency for at least a year now

Reaction Score

They are still better than pretty much anything else offered in the areas they are in. Just not as good as home base.

But home base has been pissing me off with crust inconsistency for at least a year now

I agree that the original pepes has been very inconsistent with their crust over past year. Been 4 times with once the crust thick and doughy by their standards, 2 times it was done right and the other time it just didn't have the char that it should have.

Reaction Score

I agree. Used to be an automatic "A". Now, you can still get an A, but you might also get a B or B-.

Reaction Score
Wonder if they're planning on branching out to other CT towns like Pepe's did?

What will the interviews for employees will sound like?

"Are you able to act churlish toward customers?" "How well can you ignore people waving their arms trying to grab your attention?" "If you get a new phone, do you ever give people the #?" "If it's -10 degrees outside, will you let customers into the door even if there are no tables open?" "Can you wear shorts to work even in the dead of winter?"

Horatio

Cohesion is the Key
Reaction Score
And through it all, the "Pizza" thread still
Stands strong . No decommits, No injuries, No FBI , No coaching changes or artificial preservatives. Just a bunch of guys discussing the greatest of CT. pizza. 84 pages of perfection. Thank you CT Basketball

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
Just in case anyone were interested. The Former Victoria's (which was the Former 7 Seas), across from the Groton sub base, is now J&J's Pizza Grill. I've been working down here a little over 5 years and this is the 3rd owner and/or name. The Pizza from Victoria's was very similar to 7 Seas. I haven't been to the current incarnation yet, but it has 9 5* reviews on Facebook, for whatever that is worth. It was more of a Greek style.

Fireside Brick Oven Creations in Gales Ferry is my go to because it is within walking distance and also makes really good, if not expensive, sandwiches as well. There is also New York Family (Slices) and Rolling Tomato, both in Groton that won't steer your lunch wrong.
To the surprise of no one who uses my keyboard, it looks like former 7 Seas/Victoria's/J&J's Pizza Grill recently changed their name again (4th time in a little over 5 1/2 years). Looks like it's called Wings and Pies now...I did make my way over there while it was still J &J's. Quality went down from previous iterations. Even as Greek style went, it used to be comparable to Golden just a few miles down the road in Preston, but with Fireside BOC (Gales Ferry) just to the north and NY Family just to the south, they may need to find a new specialty for that location. Philly steak, Mexican, or other.

August_West

Reaction Score
Ill have you all know this thread sent me out on a mission for chicken roll. Two stores, no luck. Had a couple olive loaf and mustard sandwiches on potato bread instead.

You try a stop and shop?

Reaction Score
haven't been, but I've heard the other Pepes locations are not particularly good. Hope Sallys doesn't fall down the same rabbit hole.
When I moved back up to CT two years ago I was excited to go back to Pepe’s. While good it hasn’t blown me away like it did years ago. The white clam at the Danbury location was comparable to what I’ve had recently in New Haven. About a year ago I had a white clam in West Hartford that was unbelievably good. I’d definitely consider trying the West Hartford one again to try to replicate that last pizza.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Tried Sassano in Glastonbury tonight.

Got the meatball.

Very good.

First few times I wanted to try it the line was busy.

Reaction Score
Tried Sassano in Glastonbury tonight.

Got the meatball.

Very good.

First few times I wanted to try it the line was busy.

Sassano is very good. They do a great business. Everything I have had from there is tasty. Glastonbury is loaded with good eats.

TRest

Horrible
Reaction Score

If it's that ridiculous party pizza the kids will give it back.

As an aside, tried Little City in Simsbury, new location. Hadn't been to the old one in about 5 years. Still a good pie, could have used an extra minute or two in the oven to stiffen the crust.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
If it's that ridiculous party pizza the kids will give it back.
I checked to be sure. It's not. Granted, it's still Rhode Island pizza, which is still laughable, but what other choice did the guy have?

If he hands out crap pie here though, it would have to be considered "just cause" for termination.

Reaction Score
I checked to be sure. It's not. Granted, it's still Rhode Island pizza, which is still laughable, but what other choice did the guy have?

If he hands out crap pie here though, it would have to be considered "just cause" for termination.

My wife brought home a pizza from Fed Hill she thought looked good. They only pre cook it to a point so when you get home you have 10-12 minutes to finish. Opened it up looked like a deep dish plain with just Parmesan sprinkled on top. I don't mind that by the way if the sauce and crust is good. Anyway she thought she ordered mozzy but it didn't look it. After cooked it looked decent, but not great. Dove in it had nice flavor on the sauce, the crust was huge and the cheese was underneath the pizza itself between the base and sauce, really weird kinda like Dominoes special pizza or Pizza Hut.

Flaky and weird, not good. RI sucks for pizza. The guy that owns Ocean Mist/ The Pub is putting a new pizza place at Matunuk this summer, interested to see how this is for us. He has one at Block Island already not sure how good it is.

Reaction Score
If anyone is in the Southington area, I just discovered The Fire Place and Nonna's, both on center street, and both thin crust New Haven style Apizza. Nonna's is more of a classic pizza place, selling both pies and slices with a few small booths inside, where as The Fire Place had a great bar and atmosphere in addition to phenomenal pizza. Either way I was blown away by both. Ive always been a huge fan of Modern, but will be making fewer trips down there because of these two.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
My wife brought home a pizza from Fed Hill she thought looked good. They only pre cook it to a point so when you get home you have 10-12 minutes to finish. Opened it up looked like a deep dish plain with just Parmesan sprinkled on top. I don't mind that by the way if the sauce and crust is good. Anyway she thought she ordered mozzy but it didn't look it. After cooked it looked decent, but not great. Dove in it had nice flavor on the sauce, the crust was huge and the cheese was underneath the pizza itself between the base and sauce, really weird kinda like Dominoes special pizza or Pizza Hut.

Flaky and weird, not good. RI sucks for pizza. The guy that owns Ocean Mist/ The Pub is putting a new pizza place at Matunuk this summer, interested to see how this is for us. He has one at Block Island already not sure how good it is.

Massachusetts and RI need their own Pizza threads. I would think there might be something decent in the Federal Hill area...maybe not.

Reaction Score
If anyone is in the Southington area, I just discovered The Fire Place and Nonna's, both on center street, and both thin crust New Haven style Apizza. Nonna's is more of a classic pizza place, selling both pies and slices with a few small booths inside, where as The Fire Place had a great bar and atmosphere in addition to phenomenal pizza. Either way I was blown away by both. Ive always been a huge fan of Modern, but will be making fewer trips down there because of these two.

Fireplace is awesome. Great pizza.

Reaction Score
Fireplace is awesome. Great pizza.

Many moons ago we used to go to The Popular Rest in Southington for pizza and pitchers, fun place in the day decent pie. Another one off of Rt 10 was Country Kitchen or something like that, not bad either. That was the late 0's early 80's I am sure both are long gone, actually I know the Popular is for sure. Then have a few at Quito's and the Hall of Fame (shame lol). Maybe even Vibrations.

August_West

Reaction Score
Many moons ago we used to go to The Popular Rest in Southington for pizza and pitchers, fun place in the day decent pie. Another one off of Rt 10 was Country Kitchen or something like that, not bad either. That was the late 0's early 80's I am sure both are long gone, actually I know the Popular is for sure. Then have a few at Quito's and the Hall of Fame (shame lol). Maybe even Vibrations.

It reminds me of back in the day in that area I used to be in a lot. There was a place in Meriden called Verdolini's and their best Pizza was called "the spooker"
I wish we could still get it.

Reaction Score
It reminds me of back in the day in that area I used to be in a lot. There was a place in Meriden called Verdolini's and their best Pizza was called "the spooker"

Nicely played FF. LOL:D

Reaction Score

Remember the Dial Tone and then it was what before it became the disco Vibrations? Or were you just kidding about everything leading up to the Spooker? lol

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom