OT: - Best Pizza in CT | Page 52 | The Boneyard

OT: Best Pizza in CT

Reaction Score
I tried the Pepe's in Fairfield. I understand it may not be as good as the one in New Haven, but, I need to be at least intrigued by it and I was completed unimpressed. Just very ordinary on so many levels.

I don't discriminate against the different styles of pizzas (think crust, brick oven, deep dish, etc.). If it is good pizza, it is good pizza! I can enjoy and appreciate many of the different styles depending on my mood and how the taste buds are feeling that day.

I grew up eating pizza in central CT and now live in Fairfield County, where the pizza is completely inferior (Connolly Grill is awful, too). I long for the days when I could stop in and pick up an extra large pizza for $12 with my friends to watch a few football / basketball games on Saturday and Sunday. Those days are over, but any chance I get, I try to meet a few of them at the old pizza joint in Bristol. You know its great pizza, when family and friends from other places in the country reminisce about it when they see you. It just has a way of leaving a lasting impression. So, if you haven't tried it, do yourself a favor and go. You won't be disappointed. My favorites include meatball or mushroom. Good luck!

Pepe's in Fairfield is entirely different than Pepe's in New Haven. Not the same.

The point I was making about Trattoria style pizza like Tavola and Pepe's pizza is that Trattoria style costs 3x as much, and they aren't making as many pizzas. It just gives them a lot more time to personalize the pizza and use the highest quality ingredients. I see Tavola as a bistro.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
I don't discriminate against the different styles of pizzas
Then what's the point? If it's all the same to you, save yourself the trouble and just go to Cumby's. Or Gumby's. Or grab a DiGiorno frozen pie. Or whatever.

To say you don't care about or have a preference among different pizzas undermines your ardent stance against Pepe's. You don't like it because of the hype, because you need to be contrarian, or for whatever reason. But one thing is clear, it is not based on the quality of the pizza.

"Awful"?!?!?!!?

Yep, millions of pizza fanatics have gotten it all wrong for generations. The real deal is in the Greek pizza in Bristol. Got it.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
I don't discriminate against the different styles of pizzas (think crust, brick oven, deep dish, etc.). If it is good pizza, it is good pizza! I can enjoy and appreciate many of the different styles depending on my mood and how the taste buds are feeling that day.

This simply is not true. Greek pizza has different ingredients and is also prepared differently than thin crust.

Reaction Score
Then what's the point? If it's all the same to you, save yourself the trouble and just go to Cumby's. Or Gumby's. Or grab a DiGiorno frozen pie. Or whatever.

To say you don't care about or have a preference among different pizzas undermines your ardent stance against Pepe's. You don't like it because of the hype, because you need to be contrarian, or for whatever reason. But one thing is clear, it is not based on the quality of the pizza.

"Awful"?!?!?!!?

Yep, millions of pizza fanatics have gotten it all wrong for generations. The real deal is in the Greek pizza in Bristol. Got it.

Yes, you finally got it. Good job!

Reaction Score
Reality is while the other franchised Pepe's are not the original they are still better than 99% of the pizza in the US. They are not ordinary to most of the population so in this case who or what is actually ordinary when it comes to pizza? :eek:

As always, a great discussion with a lot of information that I will personnaly take advantage of. I'm a pizza lover.

Small correction, Pepe's other locations are not franchised. All of them are owned by the family. The Bufonte or Bumonti family or something like that.

I read an in depth article in a local business newspaper about their growth and expansion. Again, all family owned.

I will try out Max Pizza. Heard GREAT things.

Reaction Score
As always, a great discussion with a lot of information that I will personnaly take advantage of. I'm a pizza lover.

Small correction, Pepe's other locations are not franchised. All of them are owned by the family. The Bufonte or Bumonti family or something like that.

I read an in depth article in a local business newspaper about their growth and expansion. Again, all family owned.

I will try out Max Pizza. Heard GREAT things.

Wow Max Pizza? Nice they do well whatever they venture into I am guessing they did their homework. Bumonti huh? That's a missed pie. In Hamden back in the day Bumonti's was top of the line!

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score
@mauconnfan ..... I made my own spooker at home last night. It was pretty damn good.

Just used Romano chesse, a lot of crushed red pepper, and metric ton of sausage (pork, not turkey) and red sauce. Does that sound like the right ingredients. I got them from an old Meriden resident.

Reaction Score
upstater said:
When I say things like, it is impossible to find good pizza within 200 miles of here, I naturally leave off the Italian-restaurants that make $15-20 personal pies.

Why? if it's good, it's good.

Reaction Score
Crashing in W Hartford for the game tonight. Any good pizza delivery choices in the area?

Reaction Score
Crashing in W Hartford for the game tonight. Any good pizza delivery choices in the area?

Try Harry's Pizza. Supposed to be GREAT.

Not sure if they deliver though. Worth a call to find out.

Report back if you give them a try.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Harry's in West Hartford is very good. They don't deliver, but worth a trip to pick it up.

Recommended pies:

Artichoke heart and eggplant (red)
Hawaiian with jalapeno (red)
Shrimp and bacon with jalapeno (white)
Snow pea pod and shrimp (white)

Reaction Score
I tried the Pepe's in Fairfield. I understand it may not be as good as the one in New Haven, but, I need to be at least intrigued by it and I was completed unimpressed. Just very ordinary on so many levels.

I grew up eating pizza in central CT and now live in Fairfield County, where the pizza is completely inferior (Connolly Grill is awful, too). I long for the days when I could stop in and pick up an extra large pizza for $12 with my friends to watch a few football / basketball games on Saturday and Sunday. Those days are over, but any chance I get, I try to meet a few of them at the old pizza joint in Bristol. You know its great pizza, when family and friends from other places in the country reminisce about it when they see you. It just has a way of leaving a lasting impression. So, if you haven't tried it, do yourself a favor and go. You won't be disappointed. My favorites include meatball or mushroom. Good luck!
Only went to the Pepe's in Fairlfield once and it sucked compared to the original, can't speak to the other offshoots but the one in Fairfield isn't on the same planet as the New Haven one. What's the name of the pizza joint in Bristol?

Reaction Score
$80??? How many people are you feeding?

We're taking about bistro pizza. Askgreek talked about a restaurant (not pizza place) in New York that I've been to. It was about $20 per personal pizza.

Reaction Score
Because I don't feel like spending $80 for pizza for the family.

Fair enough, I won't argue with that, but then maybe better to say there's no good cheap pizza within 200 miles of you. I don't see this "restaurant" / "pizza place" distinction as being particularly significant.

Reaction Score
This simply is not true. Greek pizza has different ingredients and is also prepared differently than thin crust.

And your point is...it must be me then. Just throw
Only went to the Pepe's in Fairlfield once and it sucked compared to the original, can't speak to the other offshoots but the one in Fairfield isn't on the same planet as the New Haven one. What's the name of the pizza joint in Bristol?

OK, maybe I will give it another chance the next time I am in New Haven.

Max Pizza in Bristol is the place. They don't deliver but you can eat in or pick up. Enjoy!

David 76

Forty years a fan
Reaction Score
I've had people that were used to doughy, Greek style pizza that I brought to Pepe's and they did not like it. "Too thin, too oily". That is their taste and how they grew up. Fine. But the people who judge pizza consistently pick Pepe's. That means something.
It's like someone who loves Coor's light. They are free to buy it. But you really can't argue it is the best in the best beer thread.

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score
since its been quite a few pages and we are bemoaning Greek Pizza again, I propose we observe a moment of LoLZ for one of the most laughworthy of the Pizza types:
Chicago Deep Dish... everyone with me now: LOL @ you, you Butter crusted Casserole/Lasagna aboination disguised as a pizza. (It can be tasty, it aint Pie)

Also some derision your way you St. Louis style crap with the provel processed cheese.

and yeah, detroit square pie, I havent forgotten you either; .

There, I feel better.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom