OT: - Best Pizza in CT | Page 46 | The Boneyard

OT: Best Pizza in CT

nomar

#1 Casual Fan™
Reaction Score
Sorry Gurleyman. Pizza Hut will not be denied. Resistance is futile.

Cheeseburger-Pizza-1-1.jpg

David 76

Forty years a fan
Reaction Score
And I'm sure the meat in those dogs & burgers are high quality. Yummy!

Reaction Score
At
The most interesting trend to come out of this larger "Best Pizza in America" conversation is the acknowledgement that yes, there is a New Haven style of pizza and yes, it is very, very good. In my travels, I'm starting to see more and more places outside of CT advertise that they make New Haven style pizza. For example, Piece Pizza in Chicago, Pete's Apizza in the DC area (3 stores now!), Salvation Pizza in Austin, etc... In fact, Wikipedia lists New Haven-style pizza places in Hood River, Oregon; San Diego, California; West Chester, Pennsylvania; Key West, Florida; Farmington Hills, Michigan; and even Tokyo, Japan. And I'm sure there are more I'm missing...
least one - there was an Irish bar by the Symphony in Boston that advertised New Haven style pizza. It wasn't.

Reaction Score
I'm pretty sure that Papa Gino's is still open at the East Brook Mall. Not sure why it was mentioned in a best pizza thread though.
According to Papa Gino's website there are three in Connecticut, Vernon, East Brook Mall and Windsor Locks.

Reaction Score
http://www.boston.com/food-dining/r...estnut-hill/lYBdEHTOH9z347F3IerNTN/story.html

But, on the other hand, it looks like the Pepe's in Boston is coming closer to being a reality (finally!)...
And they're looking for more locations in suburban Boston. I live in Metrowest and the guy who heads up their real estate told me they're looking in the Natick/Framingham area. Made my day! The other locations outside New Haven aren't as good but it sure will beat anything else we have near my house.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
The most interesting trend to come out of this larger "Best Pizza in America" conversation is the acknowledgement that yes, there is a New Haven style of pizza and yes, it is very, very good. In my travels, I'm starting to see more and more places outside of CT advertise that they make New Haven style pizza. For example, Piece Pizza in Chicago, Pete's Apizza in the DC area (3 stores now!), Salvation Pizza in Austin, etc... In fact, Wikipedia lists New Haven-style pizza places in Hood River, Oregon; San Diego, California; West Chester, Pennsylvania; Key West, Florida; Farmington Hills, Michigan; and even Tokyo, Japan. And I'm sure there are more I'm missing...

I can vouch for URBN/Basic in San Diego. Very good, although more round than oblong. One of the owners is from NH. Conveniently located across street from right field of Petco Park.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
And I'm sure the meat in those dogs & burgers are high quality. Yummy!

I think I'll go to Pizza Hut and order one of those with the burgers half rare, half medium-well and watch the poor counter guy's head explode.

temery

What?
Reaction Score
Sammy's Southport Pizza Has Re-Opened. Figured I'd pass on the news.

JonnyRI

The files are in the computer
Reaction Score
According to Papa Gino's website there are three in Connecticut, Vernon, East Brook Mall and Windsor Locks.
Joined the army out of college so was out ne for a decade. First pizza I had back in ct was papa Gino's at the mall in Mansfield on the way to a uconn game. Decadent.

David 76

Forty years a fan
Reaction Score
Joined the army out of college so was out ne for a decade. First pizza I had back in ct was papa Gino's at the mall in Mansfield on the way to a uconn game. Decadent.

Very, very grateful for your service. But, if you don't mind, I'll pick up the pizza.:)

Reaction Score
Anyone ever have Joe's Pizza in Westport? Had it for the first time last night and it reminded me of a low-grade Little Rendezvous. It was good though, my buddy got a Hawaiian pie and I got a mix of onion and peppers/pepperoni. It wasn't bad to be honest, really doughy though not much apizza-ish.

The best pizza in Westport is Julians by the Saugatuck train station. A must try. not just best in Westport but a coal fired contender. Really good.

Reaction Score
Gotta say, I honestly did not see that coming. Just when you think you've seen everything.

Holy crap.

I believe Japan has has sausage filled crust in pizzas for a while. In France, I have seen and had a boiled egg right in the middle of the pie. Was not impressed. Though, I did het used to Sandwich American, which was two hamburger parties on a demi baguette with mustard and fries in it. Very convenient while running between class and the bar on Thursdays to make happy hour.

Reaction Score
I have no idea of the name, but the one at the Elephant's Trunk on Sundays is unbelievably good for a truck pizza. I know it kind of sounds like gas station sushi, but its actually quite good.

OkaForPrez

Really Popular Poster
Reaction Score
What on gods green earth could you guys possibly be still discussing in this thread?

Reaction Score
The best pizza in Westport is Julians by the Saugatuck train station. A must try. not just best in Westport but a coal fired contender. Really good.

Westport Pizzeria. May not be "the best" pizza - a bit oily for my taste - but it has been an institution in Westport for decades. We used to go there by default after school during my HS years. Unfortunately they recently moved from their Main St. location where they had been for 45 years.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NYCVET

Top Bottom