OT: - Best Pizza in CT | Page 324 | The Boneyard

OT: Best Pizza in CT

Reaction Score
Sal's in Mamaroneck for a NY slice as an appetizer. There's a Sally's and Pepe's in Stamford, another Pepe's in Danbury. If you're gonna take them to Roseland in Derby, might as well just dot the i or cross the t and go the rest of the way to New Haven.

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
Zuppardis is fairly close to me and quite good. Downside is parking sucks. I prefer Pepe’s to Sally’s but both very good. I’ve never been to Roseland but hear it’s great. One of my sons lives in Westchester (you will land directly over his house) pretty close to Glenville but he never gets it from there so no opinion. His favorite would be a little out of your way.

Reaction Score
Half the pizza joints in Connecticut are probably larger in square footage than the White Plains terminal.

ElGuapo

What does that mean, in-famous?
Reaction Score
Tried the White Plains Airport pizza once. Microwave pizza is never any good. What’s the point of this thread?

You probably ordered a plain white pizza there.
Rookie mistake.
Next time order some clams and/or bacon on it.

Reaction Score
Flying into White Plains in October with two buddies for a guys week. We’ll be meeting up with other friends in Northern CT then heading to VT. I want to take them for a great pizza in a great atmosphere.. They want Pepe’s but I’m leaning toward taking them to Roseland. Neither has had New Haven style before. What do you suggest, keeping in mind that we’ll arrive in White Plains around noon and plan to spend the night in West Hartford? I figured we’d head up Route 8 to Derby but if consensus is to hit Modern, Sally’s Zupp’s etc let me know. I haven’t been to most of them in a while and it seems every year or so opinions change.
The more I was thinking about this, I would take them to New Haven for the Holy Trinity. If they've never had New Haven pizza then you're looking for the experience as well as the best pizza. Might as well do the real thing and give your friends the authentic experience. When they get home they'll want to tell everyone they went to New Haven for Pepe's, Sally's and Modern. Roseland in Derby isn't going to sound as impressive. It's like when I went to Brooklyn with a friend of mine who lives near NYC. We had to go to Di Fara, Lucali, L&B Spumoni Gardens, and F&F. There's a lot of good pizza in Brooklyn so we could have gone to many other places.

What day are you flying in? As long as it's not a Saturday or Sunday the lines won't be too bad at mid-day. You can probably be in New Haven by 1:30 which on a weekday shouldn't be a bad wait, if at all.

Reaction Score
Flying into White Plains in October with two buddies for a guys week. We’ll be meeting up with other friends in Northern CT then heading to VT. I want to take them for a great pizza in a great atmosphere.. They want Pepe’s but I’m leaning toward taking them to Roseland. Neither has had New Haven style before. What do you suggest, keeping in mind that we’ll arrive in White Plains around noon and plan to spend the night in West Hartford? I figured we’d head up Route 8 to Derby but if consensus is to hit Modern, Sally’s Zupp’s etc let me know. I haven’t been to most of them in a while and it seems every year or so opinions change.
Depends on what they’re looking for, if it’s a scamorza sausage & mushroom pie or a white clam pie Zupp’s would be my choice, and if the weather’s nice, West Haven Beach is right down the street. My wife and I have done the beach thing on warm April or May days, October can be warm or cold though.
On the other hand, if you want fantastic pizza with fantastic service in a beautiful restaurant then Modern would be the place.
Roseland would be an excellent choice as well. If it’s on the weekend I’d stay from Pepe’s or Sally’s. For Pepe’s I’d take them to the Fairfield Pepe’s it’s just as good if not better and much less crazy getting there.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Drive to LaGuardia, they have better pizza than the airport in White Plains.

Reaction Score
Fuoco and Rossini’s are pretty convenient to get to off 84 and not too far from West Hartford.

Reaction Score
Fuoco and Rossini’s in Cheshire are pretty convenient to get to off 84 and not too far from West Hartford.

StllH8L8ner

You’ll get nothing and like it!
Reaction Score
I’m on a Royal Caribbean cruise to/from Bermuda and the free pizza on board is not bad at all.

If anyone from Boneyard is in Bermuda also and was wearing a red Husky hat at Horseshoe Beach, that was me who gave you a fist bump…

Reaction Score
Alright, thanks for all the commentary and snark. I’m taking them to one place, this isn’t a pilgrimage, it’s pizza as part of a much larger trip. If I take them into New Haven and I want beers, pizza and a halfway decent place to sit, pick the place and let me know your choice.

Reaction Score
Alright, thanks for all the commentary and snark. I’m taking them to one place, this isn’t a pilgrimage, it’s pizza as part of a much larger trip. If I take them into New Haven and I want beers, pizza and a halfway decent place to sit, pick the place and let me know your choice.

Reaction Score
Sal's in Mamaroneck for the Westchester slice experience, very solid spot Only place I'll get a salad slice, which goes against everything I love about New Haven apizza
Sal’s would be a great contrast. Go to both

Reaction Score

Thanks. That’s long been my personal choice in New Haven. I’ll probably go there and stick to my favorite. I was curious what people would say. Knowing that you are are purist and pick Modern aligns with my usual choice in New Haven. I love Roseland, but I’ll save that for another time. Modern never disappoints and is my favorite in New Haven.

Reaction Score
I was thinking Roseland would save me the trouble of waiting at Modern etc. and get me away from 95 early in the day. I also really liked Roseland last time I was there. My concern is talking it up and then having the pizza be a letdown. I really just want to know what’s been the best lately. Recent Pepe’s reviews haven’t been great.

I also want it to be a comfortable place where we can have a couple of beers and hang out a little after traveling. I don’t want to go to a place that’s hot, sweaty and cramped.
Roseland is a solid choice for everything that you mentioned above.

Reaction Score
Roseland is a solid choice for everything that you mentioned above.
I've been disappointed with Roseland. I just had it again 3 weeks ago and I never get those who rate it so highly. Just my opinion though. What part of Northern CT? Unless Litchfield County you are probably going to go thru New Haven anyway. I'd give any of the big 3 the nod not only for the apizza but the experience.

Reaction Score
I've been disappointed with Roseland. I just had it again 3 weeks ago and I never get those who rate it so highly. Just my opinion though. What part of Northern CT? Unless Litchfield County you are probably going to go thru New Haven anyway. I'd give any of the big 3 the nod not only for the apizza but the experience.
Heading to West Hartford then points north. Going to New Haven midday doesn’t bother me. I was just questioning if that was the best bet for New Haven style. West Hartford has a couple places that are great IMO but my buddies want to try New Haven. I also plan to play a round of golf at Cedar Knob in Somers and I love Italian Villa there. It’s a Greekish thin crust pizza that’s just off the charts with pepperoni, hamburg and onion. Red Rose in Springfield is also on my radar. It’s delicious. We are going to fit in two pizzas in 2 days, just not sure where we’ll end up. Looking like Modern and one to the north.

Reaction Score
Sorry to hear about Roseland. Haven't been in years.

Reaction Score
I’ve had better frozen pizza than at the West Hartford location. Went for lunch with a coworker and it was so bad we left.
Had a similar experience at their East Greenwich / Warwick RI place.

Reaction Score
Anyone ever had pizza from this place in Glendale, CA? Legit? Aggressive move opening one in New Haven.

Ozzy's Apizza, which opened Friday at East Rock Market on Nicoll Street, is the second location for founder Chris Wallace, who initially started the business out of his home kitchen in Los Angeles in 2021. Wallace now owns and operates Ozzy's in Glendale, California, and was inspired to open an East Coast location so he could see his Connecticut-based family more often, he said.

Alternate access:

Apizza by way of Los Angeles: Ozzy's Apizza, opened by CT natives, opens in New Haven

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jfreeds

Top Bottom