OT: - Best Pizza in CT | Page 322 | The Boneyard

OT: Best Pizza in CT

Reaction Score
What?

Are you on a steady diet of Domino's or something?

Just about anyone/everyone who cares about the pizza they ingest eats the crust. That's the #1 test of whether you're eating a decent pizza.

Biggest thing I miss living in Pittsburgh is decent pizza crust. There are a handful here, but most I have to travel a half hour or more to. Pittsburgh is cheese 1st, sauce 2nd (and it's usually too sweet), and crust 3rd (normally under baked and insipid). CT, to me, has always been crust 1st, sauce 2nd, cheese 3rd.
Pittsburgh pizza sounds so much like Buffalo pizza.

Reaction Score
I find Modern to now be the best of the Big 3. Pepe's not as consistent as it used to be, and Sally's underwhelming the last 2 times I went.

I had a slice from Lorenzo's in West Haven recently. NY style...superb.
Actually Modern and Zupp’s are my two favorites nowadays. Although gotta say had a terrific pie at Pepe’s Fairfield a couple of months ago.

Reaction Score
He seems to think "crust" refers only to the ends. He doesn't understand that ALL the bread of the pizza is the crust.

“pizza crusts”

IMG_1059.jpeg

IMG_1060.jpeg

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
I can't tell if the top photo is char or that stupid seasoning mix crappy pizza places add to the crust. But if that's char it's likely I'd eat it as is and it would be delicious to me and many, many others. The crust in the bottom photo looks as inedible as one of those insipid Olive Garden dough sticks.

Just to be clear, there are plenty of pizza places where I wouldn't eat the crust. I don't order from those places.

Reaction Score
That’s a new one, judging a pizza by the quality of the crust. That is weird, most people never eat the crust. I never have seen anyone eat a pizza crust. They eat towards the crust then throw the crust back on the pizza pan. When I bring a pizza home our Newfoundland gets the pizza crusts. Lol. Whatever floats your boat.
This take is just plain wrong. When my kids were young and didn’t know any better I’d get their crust. Now that they’re grown I don’t. Crust Rocks!

Reaction Score
Most of us think of the crust as not just the outside of the pizza that doesn't have sauce and cheese, but the entire undercarriage of the pizza that's made from flour and water. That's one of the major parts of New Haven Pizza that makes it special. Char, chewiness, but crispy also.

So this entire argument is just the difference between your definition of crust on pizza and how many people in Connecticut define crust. Not busting on you but just trying to explain why people are questioning your posts.

Reaction Score
This take is just plain wrong. When my kids were young and didn’t know any better I’d get their crust. Now that they’re grown I don’t. Crust Rocks!
Yeah right, vendors probably sell them on the street too.:rolleyes:

IMG_1063.jpeg

CTBasketball

Former Owner of the Pizza Thread
Reaction Score
Recently had Zephyrs. It’s so thick I couldn’t even finish half a pie. Solid but dense.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
Yeah right, vendors probably sell them on the street too.:rolleyes:

View attachment 102221
Such a strange hill to choose to die on for someone supposedly from CT.

I cannot understand why you'd buy Zuppardi's or Modern if not for the crust. It's not like either are loaded with toppings or cheese as the undercarriage just isn't built for a heavy load of either.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
I give the outside crusts (the handle if you will) of most pizzas to the birds in my yard. But if the crust is minimal, as it often would be with New Haven style or with South Shore bar pizza style, then I eat them. But I don't need a big chunk of bread with my pizza. Obviously the quality of the underlying crust matters a lot.

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
Finally got down to Little Rendezvous now that things have calmed down last weekend. It was a good pie, but IMO not worth a 9.1. Under crust (or whatever the heck it's called) was a tad chewy for my liking. Felt like I was getting a jaw workout the whole time. Loved the sauce, slightly burnt cheese, and the crunch on the edge crust. Definitely would go back, but it doesn't top a few places in the state for me.
That's a helpful write-up to balance expectations (good & bad) for when I do someday get there before 9pm, Wednesday or after.

Depending on the place, a chewy center crust can be a big positive when paired with a crunchy outer. It goes back 40+ years ago to a foundational eating experience at The Spot. I've enjoyed way too much pizza since then to be serious in saying so, but that combo is the dragon I chase, and it's delightful surprise when it finds me .

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
Growing up in NH Sally’s was always my favorite but they are ruining their rep with these new locations that serve substandard pies at higher prices than their competitors. My experience was the same as yours in Fairfield although I haven’t been back since they first opened. Pepe’s in Fairfield has gotten a lot better over time.
My Fairfield Sally's takeout pizzas have all been good, but the dining room is a turnoff for me. I approached warily.

At its best, Sally's on Wooster St remains my favorite of the Big Three.

Fwiw, I have 4 decades of experience there that includes tragicomically epic waits both to be seated AND to get my pizza when Sally was around, and when Flo was the premier presence. I accepted the two-timer system, and it limited my visits.

When Ricky & Bobby were in charge, I again lived locally and was in a better position to pick non-busy hours.

I also enjoyed hassle-free takeouts in peak years, courtesy of friends who would call in privately (and never share the access), as well as experience friendly acquaintances who would 'jump the line' and say Hi as they entered. It's all well-told in "Pizza: A Love Story," which is the creation of people I know through music, yoga, film, and architectural history in addition to pizza. From a totally different entry point, I've gotten to know people who were interviewed as long-timers. The favored ones no longer get the perks, and have no objections to the shift. They still order Sally's most regularly, and it's still quite fine.

I'll add here that I can't figure out how to order at Modern to get it how I like it anymore. It's easier (and less expensive) for me to just get takeout from Olde World.

And still, when I've sat down and dined at Modern while hosting California friends and a high school chum from West Hartford, both of my guests loved it. The West Coast people called "best pizza ever," and I've heard the same from a Kansan at Sally's, and a Pacific Northwest couple at Pepe's.

Pepe's Fairfield has become reliably good, which really helps, because I've stayed mostly with Bridgeport & Westport friends while visiting CT to complete my move to Kentucky. I've also liked my two most recent Wooster St pies after having nearly written the brand off... though I've liked Zupp's white clam even more. And I enjoyed my West Hartford Pepe's recon visit last month.

So the Big Three are all still good, but I'm fully confident that there are at least a couple dozen CT pizza places that can fully satisfy me, and my choices vary (think "set & setting") by day of the week; time if day; where I am when the urge to eat strikes; who my company is; who has dietary restrictions; who's not a carnivore; choice of toppings; who thinks char is burnt; who needs something less dive-y if they're sitting down to eat; who wants a full bar or great beer; what takeout travels best to the beach, outdoor concert, some other great setting, or a nearby friend's house; what has been recommended to me here or elsewhere. So many factors.

Some of the claims here about what is trash or peerless seem closer to insecure macho posturing than helpful/reliable sharing of informed personal preference. My inclination is to offer the opinion that you if you follow your curiosities & taste buds, you can confidently trust your experience of eating good pizza at a blessedly high number of places. It's not a zero sum game.

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
That’s a new one, judging a pizza by the quality of the crust. That is weird, most people never eat the crust. I never have seen anyone eat a pizza crust. They eat towards the crust then throw the crust back on the pizza pan. When I bring a pizza home our Newfoundland gets the pizza crusts. Lol. Whatever floats your boat.
Meet my floated boat.

I'm among those who look longingly at the 'bones' left behind at some of the best pizza places. And at a certain level of longevity & intimacy of relationship, I will request others' forgone crusts. That is my favorite distinction in New Haven (et al) pizza.

While I don't feel the same way about non-charred/blistered crusts, I still top-value a number of crust styles - I will ecstaticly chomp on the thicker fresh-baked bread-like crusts at Ernie's; or savor the sometimes pillowy puffiness of certain Napoletano pies that are quickly baked; or munch into the buttery/oily caramelized yum in (variously) my favoritea among Sicilian, Greek, Detroit, and other deep dish pies.

Considered from a different angle, nearly all substandard/non-credible/inedible/(heck) just plain bad pizza fails at the crust, even if they are working with at least arguably legit tomato sauce, mozzarella, and traditional toppings.

For me, the same principles apply for the baguette, ficelle, or whatever wraps my Caprese sandwich; any bagel that I expect my teeth to work a bit before I break the surface and offer some chewy resistance thereafter; or really any kind of full-size hearty bread.

Crust rules!

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
PS - Pizza in Louisville is not end-to-end dreadful, but I am hoping that I have not yet discovered my best/favorite.

I have several more regularly-mentioned places to try, and I will rekindle my Kentuckiana explorations after my next CT visit, which will be the one that closes the relocation adventure.

At that point, all I need would be several options to fit certain situations, and a corresponding, "It's okay, I've eaten a crazy amount of great pizza in my lifetime" shift in attitude.

TOP AS YET UNTESTED
Lupo - Napoletano
Mozza Pi - Napoletano
- very funny, filtered out
Saint's - sports bar

TRIED & HAVE POSSIBILITIES, SO WORTH REVISITING
New York Old School - slices
Coal's - coal oven (maybe I can influence how they cook mine)

HAVE RETURNED TO, BUT WELL ...
The Post - NY style, should be better
Bonnie & Clyde's - dive-y bar pies

There's a bunch of aces that good reviews, but their photos instantly scare me off. Yep, the crust

I don't want to be a crabby/snobby newcomer, so I'm treating lightly, but after I really settle into the reality that really good-to-great (or even beyond) pizza is hundreds of miles away, who knows how I'll be?

Dove

Part of the 2%, but 100% wood.
Reaction Score
My younger kid ate pizza like this until she was 8 or 9. I've never seen an adult throw away pizza crust.
Only a fruit cake who looks at a crust and says, "450 calories, can't do it."

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mollykate

Top Bottom