OT: - Best Pizza in CT | Page 320 | The Boneyard

OT: Best Pizza in CT

Reaction Score
Lemon ricotta, new potatoes, pistou, red pepper flake and dill from the grill.

IMG_5133.jpeg

Reaction Score
Tony’s in Willimantic

Gus’s Pub Plainfield

Illiano’s Colchester CT get the baked potato pizza
Been living fairly near Gus’s for years…never once got a pizza there. I’ll check it out.

Reaction Score
Have had regular mootz pie and a fresh tomato pie from the new Frank Pepe in Stamford in the last week. I say this with zero hesitation… it’s a legit representation of the Wooster Street version - not the same, but really solid - and it’s 100x better than anything I’ve gotten from Sally’s Stamford outpost.

Reaction Score
If I wanted baked potatoes, I'd get baked potatoes. Same for new potatoes, dill, and all that other stuff.

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
I like your taste in things but the Sally's tomato pie is arguably the most overrated food there is, it's right up there with the lobster roll.
Your post is self-proving, given that you've made half the argument you've claimed. I'll complete things by arguing the opposite. I ate Sally's for 40 years before I tried the plain tomato pie, probably because it was among many different pies being offered at a screening of "Pizza: A Love Story." I instantly went from finding it conceptually unfathomable to loving it. Every time.

Plain cheese (except for fresh, especially out of East Harlem Patsy's coal oven) hasn't held any great appeal for me since I was a kid, such that eliminating the cheese is quite the improvement, even though low moisture mootz is great with all kinds of well-chosen toppings on a red pie.

None of the above is in the, "You're wrong, and I'm right" vein. I like my choice. You like yours.

I also like your fondness for Litchfield County's offerings, including the Torrington stuff a few posts up from this. All I've had is Berkshire, which has its place.

And, fwiw, the couple times I went to Domenick & Pia's (yes, Waterbury is NH County), its exalted status has eluded me. It puts me in mind of a few well regarded slice places in NYC (Joe's among them) that also fall short of special...for me.

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
Can we even call that thing pizza?

The Office Cringe GIF

Your gif is also self-proving as to a "No" answer, because you clearly have strong doubts, no matter what @Hey Adrien! 's opinion is.

That said, at least you exhibited the emotional maturity to not label his creation, "That's looks like hot garbage [sic]" which sounds like a picky 5-year old whining, "That's yucky," with adult-ish delusions that it was a bully's successful power flex...except for the sloppy writing.

It doesn't look anything like a combo I'd have created, but I'd certainly try it if were offered to me. It's visually balanced, and the listed ingredients could agree with each other.

To the creator: How did it taste?

Reaction Score
Your post is self-proving, given that you've made half the argument you've claimed. I'll complete things by arguing the opposite. I ate Sally's for 40 years before I tried the plain tomato pie, probably because it was among many different pies being offered at a screening of "Pizza: A Love Story." I instantly went from finding it conceptually unfathomable to loving it. Every time.

Plain cheese (except for fresh, especially out of East Harlem Patsy's coal oven) hasn't held any great appeal for me since I was a kid, such that eliminating the cheese is quite the improvement, even though low moisture mootz is great with all kinds of well-chosen toppings on a red pie.

None of the above is in the, "You're wrong, and I'm right" vein. I like my choice. You like yours.

I also like your fondness for Litchfield County's offerings, including the Torrington stuff a few posts up from this. All I've had is Berkshire, which has its place.

And, fwiw, the couple times I went to Domenick & Pia's (yes, Waterbury is NH County), its exalted status has eluded me. It puts me in mind of a few well regarded slice places in NYC (Joe's among them) that also fall short of special...for me.
Sally’s fell off a cliff when the Consiglio family sold it to some conglomerate. I might even go back a little further and say when Sal Consiglio died the place just changed. Bobby and Rick still made appearances at the restaurant but were not there every day.

Reaction Score
Homemade? Forget the haters I'll bet it was delicious. Although I agree with the poster who questioned it's status as pizza
Same thing with deep dish (Chicago Style) pizza, it’s no different than Sicilian Lasagna.

Reaction Score

Begging you to make the trip for Sasso's & Anthony's. Worth hitting Marzano's at the top of the hill if you've got room/time while in town.

Agree 100% on Domenick & Pia's. I've never really gotten it.

Reaction Score
300 pages in and we still don’t know if Pepe’s or Sally’s is any good.
Pepe’s in Fairfield might be even better now than the old place in New Haven. Had an absolutely terrific pie there a few weeks ago.

Reaction Score
Sally’s fell off a cliff when the Consiglio family sold it to some conglomerate. I might even go back a little further and say when Sal Consiglio died the place just changed. Bobby and Rick still made appearances at the restaurant but were not there every day.
I've only had takeout once from Sally's Fairfield and it was a major disappointment. Not only was it not worthy of the Sally's name, it wasn't even good for an average corner pizzeria. On the other hand, as other people have mentioned, the Fairfield Pepe's has been great.

Reaction Score
I've only had takeout once from Sally's Fairfield and it was a major disappointment. Not only was it not worthy of the Sally's name, it wasn't even good for an average corner pizzeria. On the other hand, as other people have mentioned, the Fairfield Pepe's has been great.
Yes, Pepe’s Fairfield might be the best in that whole chain.

Reaction Score
If this is pizza, don't claim that Chicago deep dish isn't pizza.

View attachment 101915
Pequod's is pan pizza but also falls under deep dish. Pequod's and Burt's are different than traditional Chicago Deep dish, they have the caramelized crust and the cheese and toppings on top where traditional Chicago deep dish is cooked in a cake pan which yields a flaky crust and they put the cheese on the bottom then toppings and sauce on top. They're both a lot better IMO than the cracker thin square cut tavern style pizza Chicagoans consider Chicago pizza and people are hyping up lately.

Connecticut does pizza so much better than everywhere else.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Put me down in the "deep-dish isn't pizza" column. I agree, it's closer to lasagne. And I've been to Lou Malnati's. All the ingrediants are fine but the configuration is sub-optimal for me.

Reaction Score
Growing up in NH Sally’s was always my favorite but they are ruining their rep with these new locations that serve substandard pies at higher prices than their competitors. My experience was the same as yours in Fairfield although I haven’t been back since they first opened. Pepe’s in Fairfield has gotten a lot better over time.

Reaction Score
Growing up in NH Sally’s was always my favorite but they are ruining their rep with these new locations that serve substandard pies at higher prices than their competitors. My experience was the same as yours in Fairfield although I haven’t been back since they first opened. Pepe’s in Fairfield has gotten a lot better over time.
Is the original New Haven Sally's still top notch or has it fallen along with the new locations?

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NYCVET

Top Bottom